Salary Cap: Dom Looks at the Summer Cap situation

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Iggy had control over where hed go. Like Hall. Like Giroux.
Rakell had no choice. Rakell refused to even talk to the Bruins. Not even turn fown an extension. Refused to talk to them.

Apples and oranges.
I did not know that he absolutely did not want to be here, what I understood is that he wanted to test FA.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I did not know that he absolutely did not want to be here, what I understood is that he wanted to test FA.

he wanted to re-sign with the Ducks. Ducks granted permission to speak to his representative. Bruins wanted him. Had enough of a framework agreement that Ducks granted that permission. He wouldnt speak to Bruins at all. So Bruins went elsewhere.
So, yes, ultimately he will test ufa.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
he wanted to re-sign with the Ducks. Ducks granted permission to speak to his representative. Bruins wanted him. Had enough of a framework agreement that Ducks granted that permission. He wouldnt speak to Bruins at all. So Bruins went elsewhere.
So, yes, ultimately he will test ufa.
Ok well could be he simply wants to test FA while in his prime, but if it is he really did not want Boston, then fine look to sign someone else.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Gryz might bring back a really good forward I could see him moving over Reilly. Gryz+Jake for a first liner that needs a new team is the obvious trade.

I don't think it will be impossible to dump Reilly if hes the guy to go lots of teams would want him if we retained.

No RFAs are getting a bump this offseason will be fine. You can also definitely trade Ullmark for a pick to a team that needs a starting goalie to clear space.

Are there a bunch of teams that will be below the cap floor to trade Foligno to?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
1. Trade Debrusk at the draft for a 2nd rounder unless he has a huge playoffs and you can somehow swindle a 1st for him, likely late first
2. Trade Mike Reilly for a 4th round pick
2. Trade Ullmark (I understand he has to waive) to Edmonton for Puljujarvi
3. Re-sign Bergy and Zboril
4. Sign Jonas Korpisalo to backup Swayman- 2.0 million
5. Sign Nic Desauliers

Marchy-Bergy-Puljuarvi(Lysell)
Hall-Haula-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Smith
Foligno-Nosek-Desauliers

Lindholm-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Forbort-Zboril
Ahcan-Clifton

Swayman
Korpisalo

Summer of 23-24 you have Smith, Foligno, Haula, Clifton and Nosek which is over 12 million and you need to re-up Pasta and Swayman. Horvat is a UFA at that point. Maybe getting ahead of myself but Smith, Foligno, Nosek and Clifton all get replaced internally......you replace Haula with a true 2C and you have money to give Pasta and Swayman. Man being an arm chair GM is so easy!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Gryz might bring back a really good forward I could see him moving over Reilly. Gryz+Jake for a first liner that needs a new team is the obvious trade.

I don't think it will be impossible to dump Reilly if hes the guy to go lots of teams would want him if we retained.

No RFAs are getting a bump this offseason will be fine. You can also definitely trade Ullmark for a pick to a team that needs a starting goalie to clear space.

Are there a bunch of teams that will be below the cap floor to trade Foligno to?

The Gryz for something good vs Reilly for anything debate is going to be an interesting one leading up to the draft. Think an awful lot depends how this top 4 looks in the next few months.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
McAvoy had leverage even as a pending RFA - if the Bruins didn't offer him $9+ mil, there'd be at least 15 teams in the league who would. Would they actually offer sheet him? Who knows, but it would certainly be possible. That has to be a factor. And yeah, he's 24 and about to earn $9.5, but thanks to the length of the contract he'll still be earning that same amount when he's 30, when it will look like far better value.

What contract would you have offered him in Sweeney's shoes? Do you believe he's an inferior player to Jones, Nurse, Werenski, Subban, Hamilton and Doughty?

inferior, no, but i think all those guys are way over priced.

and yes, they did have more leverage than he did.

anybody can sit out. to force a trade or an offer sheet.

what's the return on a 9 mill offer sheet?

gonna be interesting to watch what 6 mill gets you for impact on the ice with Lindholm vs 9.5 with Mcavoy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
inferior, no, but i think all those guys are way over priced.

and yes, they did have more leverage than he did.

anybody can sit out. to force a trade or an offer sheet.

what's the return on a 9 mill offer sheet?

gonna be interesting to watch what 6 mill gets you for impact on the ice with Lindholm vs 9.5 with Mcavoy.

Consider the reputational impact of your argument, and the effect it would have on McAvoy himself. Basically if you were GM you're saying, "Charlie, you see all those direct contemporaries of yours - Fox, Makar, Nurse, Jones - we think they're overpaid, and while we think you're as good as them, we here at the Bruins don't want to pay you that much. We're going to offer you $7-7.5 mil per year, because that's what we think is your true value. If you don't like it, you can sit out or wait for an offer sheet to raise the bar. That's how it is."

That's a serious whack to a guy's confidence. Extremely likely that in that scenario he ends up signing a short-term bridge deal and then getting out of Boston the second he becomes a free agent - why stick around after being treated like that when there will be multiple other teams lining up to offer big $$$? It also says to other young defenders in the league that the Bruins are a team to avoid, and you're probably also going to have unrest in the playing group because the team's star D has been treated poorly.

For what it's worth, in my head in isolation McAvoy's worth $8-8.5, but looking at the market I realistically would have liked his deal to be $9 mil p.a. An extra $500k is really just splitting hairs at that point though, so I can certainly live with what he eventually got. I do agree that the cost for top defenders is a little over-inflated. But almost every single one of those guys in the league is getting PAID, with the sole exception of Hedman who is on an extremely good value contract. In that scenario I just don't believe it's right or plausible for the Bruins to play hard ball when no-one else will.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad