Salary Cap: Dom Looks at the Summer Cap situation

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think Sweeney is going to want to recoup some of the picks he traded away, I could see possibly guys like DeBrusk, Reilly and Ullmark moved and maybe Foligno if he would waive and someone would want him. As for our center ice position, I think Bergeron continues on one year deals and Krejci comes back for one year, the following year may look better for FA centers. Trade out some or all the players listed , then sign Krejci, Rakell and a cheaper vet backup goalie.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I have to stop talking about the cap because it creates too much turmoil. So, I will say this instead (I would have asked Wally for permission in advance of saying this, but I don't think I need it)

Krejci and Butch have spoken twice about that article. Both times, Krejci apologized because "that's not how I wanted it to come out and some things get missed in translation."

Doesn't mean he will be back. But it's not because of Butch or the team.

I know I come off as a Cassidy supporter, I am not. I am a supporter of the facts. I was one of the most vocal people against hiring him.
that article/quote always screamed to me of taken out of context and not a malicious statement

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think Sweeney is going to want to recoup some of the picks he traded away, I could see possibly guys like DeBrusk, Reilly and Ullmark moved and maybe Foligno if he would waive and someone would want him. As for our center ice position, I think Bergeron continues on one year deals and Krejci comes back for one year, the following year may look better for FA centers. Trade out some or all the players listed , then sign Krejci, Rakell and a cheaper vet backup goalie.

why does Ullmark waive his nmc?
Hes making great money and loves it here.

Why would Rakell sign here when just 96 hours ago he refused to even discuss it with the Bruins after Ducks granted permission?

Last edited:

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I would not be at all surprised if the right deal came along for Gryz AND they felt comfortable that Achan could step In that Gryz gets moved.
I think eventually Gryz will be the odd man out. It would make a lot of sense for him to be the main piece in a trade for a C. Honestly I would like to sign Zboril to take his place if he will sign here. Maybe 3 years at $2.5M. Put Achan on 3rd pair or an extra D.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think eventually Gryz will be the odd man out. It would make a lot of sense for him to be the main piece in a trade for a C. Honestly I would like to sign Zboril to take his place if he will sign here. Maybe 3 years at $2.5M. Put Achan on 3rd pair or an extra D.

I believe there is a market for Gryz from what Ive been told despite those here that think he’s garbage.
Zboril will come down to how’s his knee. How did rehab go. His skating.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I just can’t see him retiring

To young
To good

He recruited Foligno talking out of playing with brother - if he didn’t plan on playing he would have told him

Unless he has serious injury or medical issue he’s back

I have no doubt
Plus, he made a comment about the game at Fenway next season . I believe it was something like my team will be ready

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
thankfully Sweeny (the idiot mind you:sarcasm:) made sure all is middle/bottom six replaceable forwards are ufas at the same time

He's still going to be a massive raise, which means less room for someone else. If we're lucky Pasta takes the deal McAvoy got. Over the last 3yrs Pasta ranks 6th in goals, but the gap between him and 4th is only 2 goals. The cap and hit% of the 5 guys in front of him:

Matthews - $11.6 million (14.3%)
Draisaitl - $8.5 million (10.4%)
Ovechkin - $9.5 million (11.7%)
Connor - $7.1 million (8.8%)
McDavid - $12.5 million (15.3%)

Looking at RW's and top producers since 2019 Pasta ranks 2nd in points trailing on Kane.

Kane - $10.5 million (12.9%)
Marner - $10.9 million (13.4%)
Rantanen - $9.2 million (11.3%)

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
He's still going to be a massive raise, which means less room for someone else. If we're lucky Pasta takes the deal McAvoy got. Over the last 3yrs Pasta ranks 6th in goals, but the gap between him and 4th is only 2 goals. The cap and hit% of the 5 guys in front of him:

Matthews - $11.6 million (14.3%)
Draisaitl - $8.5 million (10.4%)
Ovechkin - $9.5 million (11.7%)
Connor - $7.1 million (8.8%)
McDavid - $12.5 million (15.3%)

Looking at RW's and top producers since 2019 Pasta ranks 2nd in points trailing on Kane.

Kane - $10.5 million (12.9%)
Marner - $10.9 million (13.4%)
Rantanen - $9.2 million (11.3%)

Id sell him on the Kucherov deal (8x9.5) as a comp. Cap will also start going up at that point again. Im not going to be sweating if Pasta gets signed for 8x9-10. Marner and Rantanen are also not 8 year deals, Matthews and McDavid are centers etc, they aren't all comparable.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The Bruins are in good shape imo. I'd like to see them move out all three of DeBrusk, Reilly, and Forbort for the best offers out there. Perhaps move Haula as well to give Studnicka a chance. He and Harrison are their best chances at top 6 Cs once Bergeron finally retires (hopefully re-signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal this off-season). Target a top 6 RW on a short-term deal until Lysell is ready, and pick up a physical, stay at home dman for the right side (or re-sign Brown if he fits well this season), let Lazar walk.

Marchand - Bergeron - Free Agent
Hall - Studnicka - Pastrnak
Frederic - Coyle - Smith
Foligno - Nosek - Steen
Blidh/Lauko/McLaughlin/Lysell

Lindholm - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril/Ahcan - Brown/Clifton

Swayman/Ullmark

Reactions: Troublesome 85

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Plus, he made a comment about the game at Fenway next season . I believe it was something like my team will be ready
I don’t want to curse this (which is odd because I believe in karma not curses) but unless he has a health concern he’s playing

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Ok, I'm gonna take a stab at this.

First, try to sign Bergy year to year on a 35+ contract (like Chara did) at a $5M cap hit (plus bonuses). I would trade JDB and Gryz and invest in a C. Preferably Gryz and JDB for Horvat. Sign Zboril for the top 4. Go cheap at 1RW (Steen) until Lysell is ready, hopefully this time next year. Give him 75% of a season in Providence then call him up full time. Give Stud full time 4C. Resign Blidh for low money. Let Lazar walk (even though I really like him). Trade Haula for a pick. Trade Reilly for a pick. Wags buried.

Marchy($6.1M)-Bergy($5M)-Steen($1.1M)
Hall($6M)-Horvat($5.5M)-Pasta($6.7M)
Freddy($1.1M)-Coyle($5.3M)-Smith($3.1M)
Nosek($1.75M)-Stud($1.1M)-Foligno($3.8M)
Blidh($800K)-Hughes($800K)

Wags($0.225M)

Zboril($2M)-Mac($9.5M)
Hampy($6.5M)-Carlo($4.1M)
Forbort($3M)-Cliffy($1M)
Ahcan($1M)

Swayman($925K)-Ullmark($5M)

$81.3M Cap hit.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

First, try to sign Bergy year to year on a 35+ contract (like Chara did) at a $5M cap hit (plus bonuses). I would trade JDB and Gryz and invest in a C. Preferably Gryz and JDB for Horvat. Sign Zboril for the top 4. Go cheap at 1RW (Steen) until Lysell is ready, hopefully this time next year. Give him 75% of a season in Providence then call him up full time. Give Stud full time 4C. Resign Blidh for low money. Let Lazar walk (even though I really like him). Trade Haula for a pick. Trade Reilly for a pick. Wags buried.

Wags($0.225M)

Zboril($2M)-Mac($9.5M)
Forbort($3M)-Cliffy($1M)
Ahcan($1M)

$81.3M Cap hit.

I usually hate these posts, but that's not too bad

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

Wags($0.225M)

Zboril($2M)-Mac($9.5M)
Forbort($3M)-Cliffy($1M)
Ahcan($1M)

$81.3M Cap hit.
Don’t see how Gryz would fit in Vancouver with Hughes already there. Don’t see a fit at all.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
This is the market place competition in terms of their 22/23 cap hit - Karlsson $11.5 mil, Doughty $11, Werenski $9.58, Fox $9.5, Jones $9.5, Nurse $9.25, Josi $9.06, Makar $9, Hamilton $9, Pietrangelo $8.8, Heiskanen $8.45, OEL $8.25.

The price for top defenders is steep. You may not like or agree with it, but the Bruins don't operate in a bubble. McAvoy is entitled to his market value. With that in mind, where do you rank Chucky amongst the above list?

it might be the market, but it doesn't make it 'right', and its not a bubble, its over market price. for a 24 year old with no leverage.

this years list of 9+ mill d-men.

1648146845623.png

Next year.

1648146899275.png

ten defensemen making 9+

and in the top 25 highest paid (cap hit) players.

and yes, a lot of those names make me want to vomit in my mouth.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
it might be the market, but it doesn't make it 'right', and its not a bubble, its over market price. for a 24 year old with no leverage.

View attachment 521180

Next year.

View attachment 521182

ten defensemen making 9+

McAvoy had leverage even as a pending RFA - if the Bruins didn't offer him $9+ mil, there'd be at least 15 teams in the league who would. Would they actually offer sheet him? Who knows, but it would certainly be possible. That has to be a factor. And yeah, he's 24 and about to earn $9.5, but thanks to the length of the contract he'll still be earning that same amount when he's 30, when it will look like far better value.

What contract would you have offered him in Sweeney's shoes? Do you believe he's an inferior player to Jones, Nurse, Werenski, Subban, Hamilton and Doughty?

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

View attachment 521180

Next year.

View attachment 521182

ten defensemen making 9+

I will never in a million years see how Erik Karlsson was at any point in his career worth an 11.5 million dollar cap hit.

McAvoy is number 5 on this list and better than all buy maybe 3/4 of these players?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Out of curiosity what do you think he should have been paid?

I know he's no Cale Makar or Adam Fox but he's one of the better young dmen in the game right now.
And if he doesn't lock that kid up you will be spitting fire at him...........

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree, 1000 points and 400 goals. He's also very close to a lot of Bruin milestones.

He's 11 goals short of 3rd place all time behind Bucyk and Esposito.
He's 50 assists short of Bobby Orr for 3rd behind Bourque and Bucyk.
He's 50 points short of of 3rd place all time behind Bourque and Bucyk.

OT: Bucyk was a beast!
I agree I would Bergeron for one more year ,and yes Bucyk was one helluva hockey player.....

Reactions: PlayMakers

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
why does Ullmark waive his nmc?
Hes making great money and loves it here.

Why would Rakell sign here when just 96 hours ago he refused to even discuss it with the Bruins after Ducks granted permission?
Ullmark waives for a chance to be the #1 goalie elsewhere, Rakell never said he did not want to be here, but wanted to test FA, so if he gets the deal he wants why would he not consider the Bruins?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad