Victoria, BC

Attachments

• curly.jpg
    curly.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'd like to see Zboril resigned and have him fight for that 5-6 defensive slot but Mike Reilly and Forbott will be making 3mil per for the next two years so highly unlikely unless they have him switch to the right side. Me I like what he brings way more than either of those two, just because he adds that physicality at times.
This is what confuses me about the Reilly and Forbort contracts.

Like did Sweeney really believe LD by committee was a good idea? Or did he not plan ahead and then allotted all the space there to then acquire Lindholm.

Don't get me wrong Lindholm is a great acquisition, IMO, but now we have yet another very expensive guy in the pressbox if we are fully healthy (unless the plan was to dress Forbort or Reilly at RD)

I know the simple answer is, "just move one of them for cap space". No one takes bad contracts without incentive, and no one is helping the Bruins take a 3 million dollar 5-7th defenseman without some sort of sweeterner. With Zboril ready to make the jump, likely on the cheap, I see one of them costing some sort of asset to move.

I'd really like to see one of them moved to recoup some picks this off-season. Not because they are bad players, but because when healthy, there just isn't enough room to have a luxury of a 3 million dollar injury fill-in.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Like did Sweeney really believe LD by committee was a good idea? Or did he not plan ahead and then allotted all the space there to then acquire Lindholm.

Don't get me wrong Lindholm is a great acquisition, IMO, but now we have yet another very expensive guy in the pressbox if we are fully healthy (unless the plan was to dress Forbort or Reilly at RD)

I know the simple answer is, "just move one of them for cap space". No one takes bad contracts without incentive, and no one is helping the Bruins take a 3 million dollar 5-7th defenseman without some sort of sweeterner. With Zboril ready to make the jump, likely on the cheap, I see one of them costing some sort of asset to move.

I'd really like to see one of them moved to recoup some picks this off-season. Not because they are bad players, but because when healthy, there just isn't enough room to have a luxury of a 3 million dollar injury fill-in.
It wouldn’t be hard to trade Forbort or Reilly for a 4th round pick or similar.

Reactions: Gee Wally

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Ya it makes no sense to me either. The idea of entry level contracts was they can be your friends and when Sweeney decided to not resign Big Z he said he wanted to go with the Kids. Well Lauzon got lost to the expansion draft and Vaak and Zboril both proved they be longed in the limited ice time they saw.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Good stuff as usual from Dom. It seems at present the Bruins have approx. $77 mil sitting on the books for next season, and Bergeron, Studnicka, Lazar, Blidh, Brown and Zboril without contracts.

First thing’s first, Bergy almost certainly re-signs. Let’s say at a cap hit of $4 mil or so for next season (he gets more than that but it incorporates bonuses paid in future years). One of Reilly or Forbort has to go as it makes zero sense to keep both and either should be movable. That’s $3 mil saved. DeBrusk is high likely to get dealt, so that’s another $4 mil. Think Wags probably stays buried. Buyout Foligno and there’s $1.8 or so back. Stud and Zboril both highly likely to return – there’s a couple of mil. One way or another they’re going to need to fill the two 4th line wings around Nosek, whether that involves Lazar, Steen or someone from outside. There’s another $1.7 mil or so. Now we’re (very) roughly at $75.9 mil.

So they should have approx. $5.5 mil to play with, and the key need is a top 6 RW. 2C is also an issue but I strongly suspect Haula or Studnicka fill that spot for next season and they look to upgrade there either before the 2023 deadline or in the subsequent offseason. $5.5 mil won’t get you an outright star winger, but it should net someone decent. RWs current earning $5-5.7 mil include the likes of Eberle, Teravainen, Hornqvist, Wilson, Palmieri and Dadonov. Solid performers which is realistically all that the Bs need when you’ve got Marchand on your other wing and Pasta is the team’s premier RW.

I’m sure I’ve missed or screwed up something, but bottom line is the Bruins should be ok and should be able to make one addition to their top 6 forwards or at worst simply end up keeping DeBrusk. They’re in reasonable shape.

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada

I get the sense that Sweeney didn't go into this season expecting to have to upgrade at LD. I think the original plan was to have Reilly permanently take the LD spot next to Carlo since he and Carlo looked fine together last year and have Forbert replace the size and penalty killing abilities lost with Kevan Miller's retirement. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Carlo hasn't meshed well at all with either Reilly or Forbert, resulting in the need to get outside help in the form of Lindholm.

As far as unloading one of Forbert or Reilly this off-season, I think Reilly is the odd-man out since I think his skillset can be replaced by the younger and cheaper Ahcan.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Good stuff as usual from Dom. It seems at present the Bruins have approx. $77 mil sitting on the books for next season, and Bergeron, Studnicka, Lazar, Blidh, Brown and Zboril without contracts.

First thing’s first, Bergy almost certainly re-signs. Let’s say at a cap hit of $4 mil or so for next season (he gets more than that but it incorporates bonuses paid in future years). One of Reilly or Forbort has to go as it makes zero sense to keep both and either should be movable. That’s $3 mil saved. DeBrusk is high likely to get dealt, so that’s another $4 mil. Think Wags probably stays buried. Buyout Foligno and there’s $1.8 or so back. Stud and Zboril both highly likely to return – there’s a couple of mil. One way or another they’re going to need to fill the two 4th line wings around Nosek, whether that involves Lazar, Steen or someone from outside. There’s another $1.7 mil or so. Now we’re (very) roughly at $75.9 mil.

So they should have approx. $5.5 mil to play with, and the key need is a top 6 RW. 2C is also an issue but I strongly suspect Haula or Studnicka fill that spot for next season and they look to upgrade there either before the 2023 deadline or in the subsequent offseason. $5.5 mil won’t get you an outright star winger, but it should net someone decent. RWs current earning $5-5.7 mil include the likes of Eberle, Teravainen, Hornqvist, Wilson, Palmieri and Dadonov. Solid performers which is realistically all that the Bs need when you’ve got Marchand on your other wing and Pasta is the team’s premier RW.

I’m sure I’ve missed or screwed up something, but bottom line is the Bruins should be ok and should be able to make one addition to their top 6 forwards or at worst simply end up keeping DeBrusk. They’re in reasonable shape.
I can’t see them signing a RW at high dollars with term. Lysell is a top 6 guy, in 2023-24 at the latest.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I can’t see them signing a RW at high dollars with term. Lysell is a top 6 guy, in 2023-24 at the latest.

Yeah good point. But what do they do in the meantime then? Fill 1/2RW with a short-term deal, convince DeBrusk to stick around for 1 more year or simply take a big punt and elevate Lysell straight up to the big league?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah good point. But what do they do in the meantime then? Fill 1/2RW with a short-term deal, convince DeBrusk to stick around for 1 more year or simply take a big punt and elevate Lysell straight up to the big league?
I think we’ll know a lot more after he comes to Providence this year. If they don’t think he’s ready they keep Jake until the deadline (or more). If they do, they trade Jake. Unless they dump Smith or something like that.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think we’ll know a lot more after he comes to Providence this year. If they don’t think he’s ready they keep Jake until the deadline (or more). If they do, they trade Jake. Unless they dump Smith or something like that.

True. Either way, main thing is the Bruins should have a little pot of spare cash to spend on whatever need they choose, or at worst to retain and/or tinker with what they already have. They're unlikely to be able to make a big splash on someone, but at least they shouldn't feel any sort of cap crunch either.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Bergeron 3x6M giving him his cash front loaded on the deal.
Trade Jake to recoup a 2nd and his cap space. Keep D and let Brown walk. Lowball Blidh and Stud for depth. Tread water until the deadline to backstop a top 6 wing.

Don't see the others being moved out. Steen/Stud/etc and others can fill the middle 6 until they spend more picks/prospects at the deadline to gapstop the 2nd line once again.

This mgmt has a record of good enough and why expect anything different? Leaves them 4-5M is deadline cap space to bring someone in and then they use the Foligno $ + Pasta's current deal to extend him and pray yutes are ready to backstop Smith/Haula and others in a low cost middle 6 role.

Still a playoff roster but not a stacked team. Safety blanket for playoff gate $.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I get the sense that Sweeney didn't go into this season expecting to have to upgrade at LD. I think the original plan was to have Reilly permanently take the LD spot next to Carlo since he and Carlo looked fine together last year and have Forbert replace the size and penalty killing abilities lost with Kevan Miller's retirement. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Carlo hasn't meshed well at all with either Reilly or Forbert, resulting in the need to get outside help in the form of Lindholm.

As far as unloading one of Forbert or Reilly this off-season, I think Reilly is the odd-man out since I think his skillset can be replaced by the younger and cheaper Ahcan.
Me, unschooled hockey fan, could have told him they needed to upgrade LD. And I think most on the board were agreement before the season even started. By the first month, one of the boards biggest polls, #1 LD or #2C being the bigger issue.

I think upgrading was always in the plans, I just don't like the money invested in the position prior to that, also gave us less flexibility and another stupid reason to give up assets to save (unused) cap space.

He probably also thought LD was the bigger issue because that's what he spent this deadline assets on.

Maybe Sweeney thought Reilly and Forbort were better than they were. Not saying they were bad, but they are what they are, probably bottom 3 defensemen on a good team at best.

Anyways, I don't see a bad GM. I see average. And I guess as a business person, he's making the playoffs. I'm just wondering how many post Bergeron seasons it takes for him to stay afloat. He hasn't seemed to prioritize C during his tenure, and even his drafting, most of the players ceilings look to be middle 6 at best. (Partially due to draft position, and partially due to missing firsts because he had to pay someone to take his bad contracts). Without bringing up the Voldemort draft, he passed on a lot of guys with that upside with reaches at the time and a complete joke with hindsight.

Reactions: The Un4casted Storm

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Me, unschooled hockey fan, could have told him they needed to upgrade LD. And I think most on the board were agreement before the season even started. By the first month, one of the boards biggest polls, #1 LD or #2C being the bigger issue.

I think upgrading was always in the plans, I just don't like the money invested in the position prior to that, also gave us less flexibility and another stupid reason to give up assets to save (unused) cap space.

He probably also thought LD was the bigger issue because that's what he spent this deadline assets on.

Maybe Sweeney thought Reilly and Forbort were better than they were. Not saying they were bad, but they are what they are, probably bottom 3 defensemen on a good team at best.

Anyways, I don't see a bad GM. I see average. And I guess as a business person, he's making the playoffs. I'm just wondering how many post Bergeron seasons it takes for him to stay afloat. He hasn't seemed to prioritize C during his tenure, and even his drafting, most of the players ceilings look to be middle 6 at best. (Partially due to draft position, and partially due to missing firsts because he had to pay someone to take his bad contracts). Without bringing up the Voldemort draft, he passed on a lot of guys with that upside with reaches at the time and a complete joke with hindsight.
The money invested is precisely why I think Forbert and Reilly were likely Plan A going into this season. Another one of Sweeney's big brain moves that ended up being not quite the bargain he thought. It wouldn't be the first time he's over-estimated the abilities of players being added to the lineup.

As far as post-Bergeron years for Sweeney, Chiarelli got canned after missing the playoffs once and that was with a Cup-win to his name, so there doesn't seem to be much forgiveness for no playoffs from Monty Burns. And with no Bergeron, the Bruins will definitely be missing the playoffs.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Every time I come to this board I wonder who will have the worst post of the day. Congrats on today's win.

wow, there's an awe inspiring take.

you don't like the comment, prove it wrong.

keep the personal shots to yourself.

there are not very many players in the league that should be making 9.5 mill.

and he's not one of them.

he's not the second coming of Orr.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
For God's sake why? It might be a little pricey now but later on it will be a bargain basement steal.
i just dont think many guys in the league should be making that.

throw some more offensive output into his defensive game them ya maybe, but this isn't later on.

i just think 9.5 is pricey for most anyone

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
i just dont think many guys in the league should be making that.

throw some more offensive output into his defensive game them ya maybe, but this isn't later on.

i just think 9.5 is pricey for most anyone

This is the market place competition in terms of their 22/23 cap hit - Karlsson $11.5 mil, Doughty $11, Werenski $9.58, Fox $9.5, Jones $9.5, Nurse $9.25, Josi $9.06, Makar $9, Hamilton $9, Pietrangelo $8.8, Heiskanen $8.45, OEL $8.25.

The price for top defenders is steep. You may not like or agree with it, but the Bruins don't operate in a bubble. McAvoy is entitled to his market value. With that in mind, where do you rank Chucky amongst the above list?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think people still have 2006 cap numbers in their minds. I know sometimes I do. 9-10M is what high-end #1 defenseman are signing for. McAvoy is a high-end #1 defenseman, and likely will be for the entire length of the contract. at the end of his deal the market-rate for guys like him will be north of 12M, and Charlie will look like a bargain

Reactions: HustleB and BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Im real curious to see what Foligno brings this post season, as his game is meant for that time of year. Im really hoping he earns that contract and were able to shed a different light on this signing.:crossfing
His game 5 years ago was tailor made for the playoffs. He just simply doesn’t have it anymore. What a waste of $3.8m against the cap. He’s not even tradable right now unless we give up more assets.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’d try to trade Debrusk for a draft pick and then flip that draft pick to another team to take foligno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad