Salary Cap: Dom Looks at the Summer Cap situation

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Interesting. If Wagner is buried and/or moved, it looks like there is room for Bergeron, depending on the contract structure of course (I assume he is coming back for at least one more). To upgrade to a top 6 RW, again assuming Jake still wants out and the feeling is mutual, something more will have to be done. Lazar and Blidh could be let go, and altogether the Bruins would have ~5.5m AAV they could take on. Foligno could be bought out saving $2m on the cap (that contract is looking shittier by the day LOL) so there is room to do that too. Or they can keep Foligno or he becomes a playoff beast and warrants another year, and try to move Reilly and his $3m to make room for a top 6 RW. If Reilly goes, the depth would need to probably be made up- resigning Zboril at Cliffy money if he wants to stay? Does Josh Brown earn another year? It is interesting, but it looks like overall the Bruins are in good shape.

False Start

May 8, 2018

Interesting. If Wagner is buried and/or moved, it looks like there is room for Bergeron, depending on the contract structure of course (I assume he is coming back for at least one more). To upgrade to a top 6 RW, again assuming Jake still wants out and the feeling is mutual, something more will have to be done. Lazar and Blidh could be let go, and altogether the Bruins would have ~5.5m AAV they could take on. Foligno could be bought out saving $2m on the cap (that contract is looking shittier by the day LOL) so there is room to do that too. Or they can keep Foligno or he becomes a playoff beast and warrants another year, and try to move Reilly and his $3m to make room for a top 6 RW. If Reilly goes, the depth would need to probably be made up- resigning Zboril at Cliffy money if he wants to stay? Does Josh Brown earn another year? It is interesting, but it looks like overall the Bruins are in good shape.

A lot to do in the off season. Ideally we'd keep 7 strong NHL level Defenseman but the 6/7 guy cannot make 3 million.

Wagner is an easy bury.

Jake can be let go for draft picks. Is Lysell ready? Is there an equal 4 million dollar FA for that winger spot?

Reactions: Dr Hook

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'd like to see Zboril resigned and have him fight for that 5-6 defensive slot but Mike Reilly and Forbott will be making 3mil per for the next two years so highly unlikely unless they have him switch to the right side. Me I like what he brings way more than either of those two, just because he adds that physicality at times.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Bodit9

Babajingo

Simplified, they have 3.5 million to spend. With Bergeron, Lazar and Brown not signed. And Studnicka and Zboril are RFA.

If they move JDB that frees up 4 mill but what are you looking for in return? Maybe package him, Reilly and picks for someone (get rid of Reilly's salary).
My thought would be to trade Ulmark. I don't think the NMC kicks in until next year? I like him but there are so many teams out there looking for goalies.

Meh. Any way you cut it, they either need to do a few buyouts and/or trade away some more picks/prospects to dump some salary. I don't think they are in good shape but I'm not a GM.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'd like to see Zboril resigned and have him fight for that 5-6 defensive slot but Mike Reilly and Forbott will be making 3mil per for the next two years so highly unlikely unless they have him switch to the right side. Me I like what he brings way more than either of those two, just because he adds that physicality at times.
I think Reilly is moveable. Could bring back a 3rd, his contract isn't horrible and he's an NHL caliber defensemen that can move the puck. Teams will always need that.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A lot to do in the off season. Ideally we'd keep 7 strong NHL level Defenseman but the 6/7 guy cannot make 3 million.

Wagner is an easy bury.

Jake can be let go for draft picks. Is Lysell ready? Is there an equal 4 million dollar FA for that winger spot?

If you are comfortable letting Lazar go and putting Steen there (or someone else within the org, McLaughlin maybe?) you can get close to another mil to add to Jake's outgoing $4m. Same goes for Blidh, or even a Foligno buyout and I think you get into 2RW AAV territory. A lot will depend on what Bergeron ends up signing for as well.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think Reilly is moveable. Could bring back a 3rd, his contract isn't horrible and he's an NHL caliber defensemen that can move the puck. Teams will always need that.
Yup, I think your right and I like Reilly as 5-7 defenseman who can play up and you do need 8-9 defenseman for the playoffs, I just wish the bruins had a few who were on entry level contracts or like Cliftons. Lol

Reactions: UConn126

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Simplified, they have 3.5 million to spend. With Bergeron, Lazar and Brown not signed. And Studnicka and Zboril are RFA.

If they move JDB that frees up 4 mill but what are you looking for in return? Maybe package him, Reilly and picks for someone (get rid of Reilly's salary).
My thought would be to trade Ulmark. I don't think the NMC kicks in until next year? I like him but there are so many teams out there looking for goalies.

Meh. Any way you cut it, they either need to do a few buyouts and/or trade away some more picks/prospects to dump some salary. I don't think they are in good shape but I'm not a GM.
Foligno signing looks terrible right now. He better produce in the PO.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If you are comfortable letting Lazar go and putting Steen there (or someone else within the org, McLaughlin maybe?) you can get close to another mil to add to Jake's outgoing $4m. Same goes for Blidh, or even a Foligno buyout and I think you get into 2RW AAV territory. A lot will depend on what Bergeron ends up signing for as well.
Im real curious to see what Foligno brings this post season, as his game is meant for that time of year. Im really hoping he earns that contract and were able to shed a different light on this signing.:crossfing

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Im real curious to see what Foligno brings this post season, as his game is meant for that time of year. Im really hoping he earns that contract and were able to shed a different light on this signing.:crossfing

That's what they're telling us. I find it tough to believe right now when we've seen no sign of him being able to do it. I get engaging another gear for the playoffs, but I also think that assumes a player has a decent gear engaged already. I want to believe, and I am pulling for the guy to succeed, but I am way skeptical right now.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Nicely done @DominicT , as always.

I've been thinking about next year since the deadline. It feels like they have a bit of a mess on their hands that they'll have to deal with this summer. I can't imagine they want to carry a spare D making $3m. Like you said, Studnicka and Steen need to be regulars since they're no longer waiver exempt. And they still have some holes to fill on the roster, in terms of a 2c and some added physicality.

Moving out one of Forbort or Reilly would give them the cap space to sign Bergeron to a $5m deal (plus bonuses) and have some money left over to bank for the deadline. They also need to create some room on defense for some of the Providence D to get a look next year (Ahcan, Lyle, Callahan, Berglund...) So I would think moving out one of them is on their wish list. If it were up to me, it would be Forbort, and I'd try to replace him with a right handed version who likes to fight. With Ahcan, Callahan and Lohrei all having a puck moving element to their games, I'd think getting a stable, experienced RD (like a Gudbranson) would be great for their development. Reilly could play with him for now, but all three could slide into the lineup and pair with Gudbranson when they're ready for their cup of coffee in the National.

At forward, I give Studnicka the 2C job out of camp. You can't send him down, so let's see if he can grow into the role. I probably let Lazar walk (even though he's a terrific 4th liner) and go with Steen as the 4RW full-time. I'd also probably buy out Foligno. It frees up another $2m, and maybe you can try to sign Deslauries (or similar) in free agency.

Marchand - Bergeron - JDB
Hall - Studnicka - Pastrnak
Frederic - Coyle - Smith
Haula - Nosek - Steen
X: Deslauries

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Reilly - Gudbranson
X: Ahcan - Clifton

Swayman - Ullmark

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yup, I think your right and I like Reilly as 5-7 defenseman who can play up and you do need 8-9 defenseman for the playoffs, I just wish the bruins had a few who were on entry level contracts or like Cliftons. Lol
The PC kid might be getting NHL duty before he thought.

Reactions: TCB

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Honestly given how he moves out on the ice I think the odds of him moving the needle positively is against him. Maybe some 3OT game where he hasn't played much and everybody is close to his pace
he scores a game winner...lol.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I wonder why Sweeney signed him in the first place. But yes, I agree he is the most easily moved.
I think he was looking for an upgrade but there wasn't one available so he circled back to Reilly. It's not like he was eagerly re-signed right away, we let him go to free agency.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think he was looking for an upgrade but there wasn't one available so he circled back to Reilly. It's not like he was eagerly re-signed right away, we let him go to free agency.

As much as people crap on Reilly (and I have my issues with him too), he was a good signing for the situation. He is an NHL regular on just about every team in the league., but he is playing over his head right now, and he makes too much to be the 3rd pair guy he needs to be.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
That's what they're telling us. I find it tough to believe right now when we've seen no sign of him being able to do it. I get engaging another gear for the playoffs, but I also think that assumes a player has a decent gear engaged already. I want to believe, and I am pulling for the guy to succeed, but I am way skeptical right now.
Well if you've watched him at all with jackets during the playoffs you wouldn't need anyone to tell u this, but yes your right he needs to pick it up a lot, but sometimes there's behind the scenes things that we as fans are not purvey to and hopefully if this is the case come playoffs, the playoffs will help be a a remedy for Foligno as Foligno will be for the Bruins.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I didn't see this post when I did mine. If I had I wouldn't have bothered. Great synopsis on hoping vs expecting.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well if you've watched him at all with jackets during the playoffs you wouldn't need anyone to tell u this, but yes your right he needs to pick it up a lot, but sometimes there's behind the scenes things that we as fans are not purvey to and hopefully if this is the case come playoffs, the playoffs will help be a a remedy for Foligno as Foligno will be for the Bruins.

Yes, I meant that that is the story on him as things stands now. I know what he used to be, but have seen no signs that he that guy any more.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Nicely done @DominicT , as always.

I've been thinking about next year since the deadline. It feels like they have a bit of a mess on their hands that they'll have to deal with this summer. I can't imagine they want to carry a spare D making $3m. Like you said, Studnicka and Steen need to be regulars since they're no longer waiver exempt. And they still have some holes to fill on the roster, in terms of a 2c and some added physicality.

Moving out one of Forbort or Reilly would give them the cap space to sign Bergeron to a $5m deal (plus bonuses) and have some money left over to bank for the deadline. They also need to create some room on defense for some of the Providence D to get a look next year (Ahcan, Lyle, Callahan, Berglund...) So I would think moving out one of them is on their wish list. If it were up to me, it would be Forbort, and I'd try to replace him with a right handed version who likes to fight. With Ahcan, Callahan and Lohrei all having a puck moving element to their games, I'd think getting a stable, experienced RD (like a Gudbranson) would be great for their development. Reilly could play with him for now, but all three could slide into the lineup and pair with Gudbranson when they're ready for their cup of coffee in the National.

At forward, I give Studnicka the 2C job out of camp. You can't send him down, so let's see if he can grow into the role. I probably let Lazar walk (even though he's a terrific 4th liner) and go with Steen as the 4RW full-time. I'd also probably buy out Foligno. It frees up another $2m, and maybe you can try to sign Deslauries (or similar) in free agency.

Marchand - Bergeron - JDB
Hall - Studnicka - Pastrnak
Frederic - Coyle - Smith
Haula - Nosek - Steen
X: Deslauries

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Reilly - Gudbranson
X: Ahcan - Clifton

Swayman - Ullmark
Bill, curious as to your thoughts on the potential of Reilly sliding over to the right side? Never was my first choice, but you’ve always had this great eye for defensive play and I wonder if you see it as a better fit than I do.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
As much as people crap on Reilly (and I have my issues with him too), he was a good signing for the situation. He is an NHL regular on just about every team in the league., but he is playing over his head right now, and he makes too much to be the 3rd pair guy he needs to be.
I don't know about that. I watched the TB-Canes game last night
and TB had Hedman, McD and Sergachev on the left side. So that's
one team for certain he is #4LD on. With Toronto picking up Gio and if Muzzin comes back I go with the Sandin over him come PO. So that's 2 teams in the Atlantic I take their LD.

He would be in a dogfight with Ruhwedel on Pitt for 3LD time. Watching Winnipeg who will be DNQ, I don't think with Morrissey, Dillon and I think Stanley he is beating those guys out though I guess I can see arguments made about both Dillon and Stanley not being skilled enough.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Dont want to be a debbie downer.... but I'm treating this season as Bergy last

Depending on how this season ends/playoffs

Maybe a "patch up" could be to promote Haula to 1st line C, Freddy 2C...maybe Stud puts it together

When next trade deadline comes... workout an extension with potential center trade targets/force a trade

2023 is the prize center UFA class. 2022 is very underwhelming

Reactions: Bridges31

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know about that. I watched the TB-Canes game last night
and TB had Hedman, McD and Sergachev on the left side. So that's
one team for certain he is #4LD on. With Toronto picking up Gio and if Muzzin comes back I go with the Sandin over him come PO. So that's 2 teams in the Atlantic I take their LD.

He would be in a dogfight with Ruhwedel on Pitt for 3LD time. Watching Winnipeg who will be DNQ, I don't think with Morrissey, Dillon and I think Stanley he is beating those guys out though I guess I can see arguments made about both Dillon and Stanley not being skilled enough.

I don't disagree, which I why I said just about. Clearly there are a few teams that would be better through the top 6, but out of 31 I'd bet he slots in as a regular on the vast majority of them.

Reactions: CDJ

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

I would not plan on it. He may have a good game here and there if we are lucky. Nothing he has shown tells me good things are going to all of a sudden kick in because of the playoffs.

I would love to be wrong

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Dont want to be a debbie downer.... but I'm treating this season as Bergy last

Depending on how this season ends/playoffs

Maybe a "patch up" could be to promote Haula to 1st line C, Freddy 2C...maybe Stud puts it together

When next trade deadline comes... workout an extension with potential center trade targets/force a trade

2023 is the prize center UFA class. 2022 is very underwhelming
1648049719847.png

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad