GDT: Dogs (33-27-8) vs Flames (35-26-7), 7pm, SNW, FAN960

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hall with 6 SOG over two periods.

Gotta say, that dude is carrying the load in Arizona.
I'd really love to see him play on a team that literally has a single player that's anywhere near his stratosphere in play.

Like, Kessel was 6 years ago... Keller if he took the next steps; but Hall is by far the best player on the Yotes.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Nah, Tavares didn't really solve a team need for them and ate up a ton of cap. They had Matthews and Kadri which IMO is a better 1-2 than Matthews-Tavares because Tavares is a rich man's Monahan defensively.

I'm with Anglesmith, you need a team built right, not just the flashy names
I think we need better centre depth, don't get me wrong. If we got Eichel or Barkov, I would tattoo Treliving's face on my chest but I just don't see how that would work.

Besides, it's difficult to know if Gaudreau is long for Calgary anyway. Loading up even for two years with Gaudreau and Hall could do wonders for our PP and let Lindholm centre his own line which would help us a lot

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If the Flames signed Hall, we'd be pretty damn good, I doubt Gaudreau bails if we signed Hall.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it was the right move at the time but it just so happened that every major trade/negotiation they made after that was the wrong one, making the original signing look bad in retrospect
But I don't think those events can be fully separated. They signed Tavares when they knew that they would have negotiations coming up with several players in the same tier of talent (not Nylander, but to be fair they pushed that negotiation as far as they felt they could). Not throwing crazy money at Tavares may have saved them cap room in several ways, which would be useful in trying to fix actual team needs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If the Flames signed Hall, we'd be pretty damn good, I doubt Gaudreau bails if we signed Hall.

He'd certainly give you a lot of different options in terms of where to play him.
There is a world where Calgary could roll 3 lines that would be top lines on almost any team in the league.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would feel a lot more comfortable about holding onto this one-goal lead if it was a two-goal lead. More still if it became three goals.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think we need better centre depth, don't get me wrong. If we got Eichel or Barkov, I would tattoo Treliving's face on my chest but I just don't see how that would work.

Besides, it's difficult to know if Gaudreau is long for Calgary anyway.

I think it'd be counting chickens before they hatch to bring in Gaudreau's replacement while he has two years left. I don't think Hall is better than Johnny

And back to Tavares / Kadri I really think the reduction in Kadri's ice time made them a worse team than they could have been otherwise by filling actual holes. I could see the same happening if Eatbread or someone like that loses icetime while they would be otherwise outperforming their contract.

Loading up even for two years with Gaudreau and Hall could do wonders for our PP and let Lindholm centre his own line which would help us a lot

I guess I don't see it. Lindholm seems more comfortable on the wing. He was productive between Tkachuk/Mangiapane but didn't really seem to use the middle of the ice on a consistent basis.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
To be fair, Bennett tried to take the penalty, he's just bad at that too now.
c5f.gif

Reactions: Tofveve

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
But I don't think those events can be fully separated. They signed Tavares when they knew that they would have negotiations coming up with several players in the same tier of talent (not Nylander, but to be fair they pushed that negotiation as far as they felt they could). Not throwing crazy money at Tavares may have saved them cap room in several ways, which would be useful in trying to fix actual team needs.
I feel like Toronto's management team didn't have a long-term plan after they signed him.

They followed up the landmark signing of a total stranger by having Shanahan go on the record to say that their youngsters are being greedy. Then Dubas goes on-record to say "we can and will keep all three."

A few short months later, they cave to Nylander's ridiculous demands to appease their fans and then give Matthews a hilarious paradigm-shifting contract in the off-season to supposedly avoid another contentious negotiation process. In the process, they piss off their best player and GMs around the league.

Comical stuff really

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I thought for sure that Lucic was going to score on that PP. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad