GDT: Dogs (33-27-8) vs Flames (35-26-7), 7pm, SNW, FAN960

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd figure the main thing was a lack of confidence cause his stick handling was significantly worse during his slump.

I felt he was pushing his game too much.
You saw Hall do it tonight. When you're the best offensive player on the ice for your team, I think there's the ability to try to do too much. Rather than letting the game come to them, you're trying to do anything to get into a grade A position; even if that means having to beat 2 defenders right down the middle of the ice.

When Gaudreau is best is when he's just moving and being slippery. He doesn't have to beat defenders with sixteen different dangles, he's just shifty with his skating and angles.

Happy this team is starting to roll at the right time. It's crazy what happens when you have 6D playing exactly where they should be in the lineup, and no one being force fed minutes.

On a side note to that, I thought Forbort has a quiet and yet really solid game. That dude has some nasty in him too. I know nerds will jump at the fact he got hemmed in a lot and his shot differential was in the negative; I thought he did some grade A PK work, I thought he did some good cycle busting. He's limited, but, a solid 6D you can be absolutely happy with.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I felt he was pushing his game too much.
You saw Hall do it tonight. When you're the best offensive player on the ice for your team, I think there's the ability to try to do too much. Rather than letting the game come to them, you're trying to do anything to get into a grade A position; even if that means having to beat 2 defenders right down the middle of the ice.

When Gaudreau is best is when he's just moving and being slippery. He doesn't have to beat defenders with sixteen different dangles, he's just shifty with his skating and angles.

Happy this team is starting to roll at the right time. It's crazy what happens when you have 6D playing exactly where they should be in the lineup, and no one being force fed minutes.

On a side note to that, I thought Forbort has a quiet and yet really solid game. That dude has some nasty in him too. I know nerds will jump at the fact he got hemmed in a lot and his shot differential was in the negative; I thought he did some grade A PK work, I thought he did some good cycle busting. He's limited, but, a solid 6D you can be absolutely happy with.

I don't think he's a major downgrade over Hammer tbh. The later is still better, but not by anything significant.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think he's a major downgrade over Hammer tbh. The later is still better, but not by anything significant.

The problem is when they bring in Hammer, they treat him like he has to play 20 minutes a night and in the top 4D.
I like Forbort just in that, you know what he is, he plays his role perfectly... Also that is a beast of a man; that adds to Calgary's already fairly deep nasty list.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The problem is when they bring in Hammer, they treat him like he has to play 20 minutes a night and in the top 4D.
I like Forbort just in that, you know what he is, he plays his role perfectly... Also that is a beast of a man; that adds to Calgary's already fairly deep nasty list.

Fair enough. Really hope they don't shoehorn him in that role when he is healthy. It's clear that he is over his head as a top 4 dman at this point.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Forbort has some great stick work and can defend the rush very well. Offensively limited but he can defend well. He's a great 6D and once Hamonic is back he'll be good as a 7D in case of another injury (fingers crossed). If they make the right choice and play Hamonic with Gustafsson that gives us 3 d pairings that we can rely on in 5 v 5 to be able to carry their weight, as well as good PK options as well. Depth is a blessing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Watching Lucic’s lack of hands and playmaking last night I think Trelivings failure at the deadline will be not upgrading the bottom 6. Namestnikov was a perfect cheap example.

I am still holding out hope that Lucic pays off in the playoffs when the games get tighter. But they also get faster....

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Watching Lucic’s lack of hands and playmaking last night I think Trelivings failure at the deadline will be not upgrading the bottom 6. Namestnikov was a perfect cheap example.

I am still holding out hope that Lucic pays off in the playoffs when the games get tighter. But they also get faster....

For every time Lucic sticks out in a negative way on a rush, he sticks out in a positive way along the boards. The guy is very effective on the cycle even still. I'm happy we have someone who can bring that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

As long as ward is the coach, lucic will get all the ice time he needs.... sickening but that's the way it is....lucic over Bennett...f*** off ward

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

The fact this coaching staff continually puts Hamonic with Hanifin and thinks that that pairing is a positive just shows how completely inept everyone involved is. There is no stat in the world, advanced, real or eye that says they are a good pairing. Every advanced stat says they suck, their +/- says they suck, just simply watching them play you can see they suck together, yet every f***ing game they are both in the line-up they are put together. Then when they are getting rekt if the coach does break up the pairing he always ends up PROMOTING Hamonic and demoting Hanifin. It makes absolutely no sense. I don't give a f*** what Hamonic does in the community, he can be the nicest player there is (and he is one of the nicest and most kind people), if he sucks on the ice stop playing him so much.

I'd take Forbort every day over Hamonic if it means the pairings stay the same.

They will tank Hanifin AND demote Ras when he comes back, I already can see the playoffs unfolding unless the coaches grow a pair and put Hamonic on the 3rd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad