Friedman: Doesn’t see Taylor Hall returning 1st Round Pick

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd like to read that piece. Any link?

Here is the link. It's not an article on just Lou, but a look around the league.

NHL’s TV deal with ESPN comes down to one thing

Not so much this season, when it all has all gone wrong in Buffalo, but even when Taylor Hall was having his Hart Trophy season in New Jersey 14 years ago (What’s that? It was just three years ago?), there were folks all over the league talking about how the winger was a “me” guy in a “we” sport.
So would the Islanders, the Ultimate We Team run by the Ultimate We Guys, Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz, dare attempt to bring Hall into the mix as a rental at the trade deadline if the injury to Anders Lee is as serious as might appear?
Here is the rule about Lamoriello: There are no rules.
When you think you know what he is going to do, you don’t.

Reactions: MikeK

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LL acquired Kovalchuk, Mogilny, and another player who didn't have a sterling reputation as a team player at the time he was acquired - Jeff Friesen. In all cases, he had enough on the team that could make those players fit, at least for short periods of time.

I am less concerned with any rep Hall has, then I am with his crappy 2020-2021 season. Hall has 2 goals in 30+ games. 2 goals. He has played most of the season on a line with a franchise center.I don't want to use a 1st on a struggling Hall.

Btw, I expect the isles to move some combo of their 1st+ 2nd+ Bellows for a rental at the TDL and a cap dump this offseason. Bellows doesn't show the upside of Wally, but shows more offensive upside then MDC. Isles don't seem to have a lot of faith in him.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I remember when articles like this came out: Taylor Hall Considering Signing One-Year Deal With Contender

Then he signs with Buffalo. That speaks volumes as even though Buffalo was less of a dumpster fire then than they are now, they weren't considered remotely a contender.

Dude, made his own bed. Sure, there could be a team that's willing to pay a first for 20ish games of Taylor Hall, but I think it's on reputation only at this point. At that price point, many teams are looking elsewhere.
you can buy a pretty nice bed with 8 million a season

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He carried a bad Devils team to the playoffs.

I think the whole "he's not a winner" thing is completely overblown. He's played on the Oilers, Sabres, Devils, and Coyotes. The teams that he's played on are the issue, not his play.
You could argue he doesn’t play winning hockey despite putting up points. He’s kind of a puck hog, and a below average defender (even bad sometimes).

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I am less concerned with any rep Hall has, then I am with his crappy 2020-2021 season. Hall has 2 goals in 30+ games. 2 goals. He has played most of the season on a line with a franchise center.I don't want to use a 1st on a struggling Hall.

You can't tell me that Eichel, even before the injury that put him out, looked anything like Eichel tho.

Btw, I expect the isles to move some combo of their 1st+ 2nd+ Bellows for a rental at the TDL and a cap dump this offseason. Bellows doesn't show the upside of Wally, but shows more offensive upside then MDC. Isles don't seem to have a lot of faith in him.

Maybe. I don't think they're too stressed about setting themselves up for the expansion draft and next year yet.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I don’t know, I remember users in here saying that you can’t win with Phil Kessel, and he returned a first plus... My point is he could be the right fit for the right team.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
yeah I'd say at least 30% retention is a given.

How many contending teams could afford to add him at 30% retention? Even 50% retention will probably require some money going back. Or, it will limit the potential return, because the list of bidders would be smaller.

Buffalo should be willing to eat 50% and take on any bad contracts they can as a means of trying to gain picks/prospects. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they probably aren't cup contenders this year.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I don’t know, I remember users in here saying that you can’t win with Phil Kessel, and he returned a first plus... My point is he could be the right fit for the right team.

Kessel had multiple years of control though, which seems to be the case for pretty much every "comp" thrown out that returned a 1st or more. It might be different if Hall was having a good season by his standards, but he's playing at replacement level right now and that no doubt impacts his value substantially.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If you're a contender looking for that one piece to put you over the top, you're probably not looking for a guy with 14 playoff games in 11 years.

Reactions: easton117

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
That does sound nice. Matchup a 4th line against them and keep the puck in the corners and no points happen.

Lol

Leafs also had to give back a second and retain in that deal.

I would do a second plus a prospect or the leafs first rounder for Hall and then pay a mid round pick to another team to retain on him. He has a ridiculously low shooting percentage and I think it's worth the gamble that he bounces back

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If you're a contender looking for that one piece to put you over the top, you're probably not looking for a guy with 14 playoff games in 11 years.

There's something "off" about Hall so your point is taken. Of course others will argue that the Oilers/Devils teams he played on were not that talented and/or mismanaged.

Another way to consider it is...If Hall played on the Lightning the past decade would they have been a worse team? Would Yzerman ave not liked Hall's "makeup" and shipped him out the way he did with Drouin?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Nope Hall had many poor seasons in EDM and no surprise his best year was outside pf them.

RNH was viewed as a future PPG+ C and arguably his best year was his rookie season before the Edmonton stink got on him.

I think it's more likely EDM had no idea how to develop players for like 7 years rather than everyone they drafted just happened to be bad
Sink or swim. It didn’t work.
True, but a lot of the players they drafted (RNH, Yakupov, Hall, Puljujarvi) had undeniable talent but the stink of EDM's like 7 year run that rivaled Buffalos sad franchise ruined what those players COULD have been. Edmonton and Buffalo are the perfect example of what a toxic environment can do and I'm glad for the NHL's sake that it seems like Edmonton has finally figured it out
Yak couldn’t skate. I have no idea why he was picked at 1st. Edmonton scouting team didn’t want him at first. Word is ownership intervened.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I think your point is...All it takes is 1 GM to "overpay" for a player and anything can happen. That is surely the case, but with Hall given his cap hit, questions about his game, his current play, the overall state of teams who need scoring help, and the lack of cap space available overall, there's going to be a lot less teams in on him which reduces the idea of finding that "1 GM" to overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad