Friedman: Doesn’t see Taylor Hall returning 1st Round Pick

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I cant help but be intrigued as to what a jedi master like Trotz could do with Hall but worry that there might not be enough runway left in the season to burn points on Hall learning the isles way .

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I'm a Leaf fan so take this with a pound of salt, but it's just starting to feel like Jack isn't the easiest guy to work with
Ask Skinner that. 40 goals and then bonehead Krueger comes in and never plays them together. Sabres found the winger for Eichel and somehow screwed that right up.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Unfortunately buffalo has zero leverage. But teams get desperate. It’s a weird market very interested to see what happens here.
He'll garner a 1st if they retain salary, which they will imo.

There was a multitude of issues in Buffalo this season.Not the least of which was that NHL/Devils covid fiasco, prior to that the Sabres were a .500'ish team. The tumble off the cliff occurred afterwards. Now, add in Eixhel injury all season, Ullmark going down and a coachingbphilosopgy, that in my personal opinion, was 180 degrees from the players known skill sets and you have the perfect storm for a recipe for disaster. And it unfolded that way, unfortunately.

I always ask myself the following: "have the Sabres roster players consistently shown this depth of inept offensive output"?
The answer of course, is individually, no.
As a unit however, they have. 2 seasons ago the Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart line was a top 10 producing line. To myself, that speaks to coaching change (Housley to Krueger) philosophy and player usage.

Hall is worth more than the sum of the parts. But 8 million? No. 4 million? Yea, I can see a new environment at that price as a 1st, given his known career skillsets.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I could really see the Leafs going after Hall/Ullmark and maybe even Risto.

Package deal.

With Andersen, a first round pick and another pick, plus a good prospect.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I could really see the Leafs going after Hall/Ullmark and maybe even Risto.

Package deal.

With Andersen, a first round pick and another pick, plus a good prospect.
Isn’t Dubas heavy into analytics? Do Hall and Risto have numbers that predict they will be good on the Leafs?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unfortunately buffalo has zero leverage. But teams get desperate. It’s a weird market very interested to see what happens here.
Yup. The Sabres only need two interested teams, and the price goes up. Which teams are likely interested in Hall?
Avs
Islanders
Pens
Others?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Hall for Robertson and a 3rd.

Not a chance....

Rentals very rarely return blue chip prospects, nevermind a rental to a team that has 0% chance re-signing him and is currently in the middle of the worst year of his career after a rocky little stretch.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not a chance....

Rentals very rarely return blue chip prospects, nevermind a rental to a team that has 0% chance re-signing him and is currently in the middle of the worst year of his career after a rocky little stretch.
I think he was pulling your leg.

Not a serious offer.

Reactions: Team Cozens

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yup. The Sabres only need two interested teams, and the price goes up. Which teams are likely interested in Hall?
Avs
Islanders
Pens
Others?

There are still Avs fans that would acquire Hall but I hope Sakic stays away from him. We need a legit NHL backup G, not Hall.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not a chance....

If the Leafs are in on Hall, which I don’t think they are, there will be other teams bidding too. And I’m pretty sure Dubas would rather give up Robertson and a third, than Sandin or a first. Plus, wouldn’t the Leafs have to send a contract back too, which raises the price?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
A lot of teams would trade a 2021 1st I think for

Hall 50% retained
MTL's conditional 3rd (becomes Buffalo's 2nd if team misses the playoffs).

That's almost what Barclay Goodrow cost last deadline (he had an extra year at a bargain price but still). You don't want to put the condition on the 1st cause you want to spend a 2021 1st instead of 2022 1st. I think that's about the floor on what Buffalo will get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad