Friedman: Doesn’t see Taylor Hall returning 1st Round Pick

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think your point is...All it takes is 1 GM to "overpay" for a player and anything can happen. That is surely the case, but with Hall given his cap hit, questions about his game, his current play, the overall state of teams who need scoring help, and the lack of cap space available overall, there's going to be a lot less teams in on him which reduces the idea of finding that "1 GM" to overpay.

I think we should collectively not underestimate how desperate some GMs are to keep their own jobs during a pandemic.
If you are a GM who told your owner the playoffs were going to happen before the year starts, and now you are on the outside looking in are you REALLY going to potentially lose your own job because you stuck to your guns at 2nd+prospect?

Calgary is on the outside looking in. The GM has now gone through multiple coaches. He has a team that has a hard time scoring, and rumors are they want to bring Hall in over the summer.

Or if your Boston, and you have your top line locked in and you are just holding onto a playoff spot. Is taking a run at Hall worth a 1st if you think it makes you a lock to hold off Philly?

Im a Leaf fan and I hate giving up higher picks, especially when ELC contracts are how you offset spending so much on a top 4. But if as a GM you think Hall makes it so you can at least win a few rounds, is that price worth it even to just get all your guys more playoff experience? IDK but its something I would have to consider.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think we should collectively not underestimate how desperate some GMs are to keep their own jobs during a pandemic.

If you are a GM who told your owner the playoffs were going to happen before the year starts, and now you are on the outside looking in are you REALLY going to potentially lose your own job because you stuck to your guns at 2nd+prospect?

Calgary is on the outside looking in. The GM has now gone through multiple coaches. He has a team that has a hard time scoring, and rumors are they want to bring Hall in over the summer.

Or if your Boston, and you have your top line locked in and you are just holding onto a playoff spot. Is taking a run at Hall worth a 1st if you think it makes you a lock to hold off Philly?

Im a Leaf fan and I hate giving up higher picks, especially when ELC contracts are how you offset spending so much on a top 4. But if as a GM you think Hall makes it so you can at least win a few rounds, is that price worth it even to just get all your guys more playoff experience? IDK but its something I would have to consider.

OK - I won't make you list the GMs that told their owners they were going to the playoffs before the year started since that's impossible.

That said, tell us the list of GMs that you think are at risk of losing their jobs if they don't make the playoffs this year, would make a rash move before the trade deadline as a result, and have the assets and cap space to even do so.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
OK - I won't make you list the GMs that told their owners they were going to the playoffs before the year started since that's impossible.

That said, tell us the list of GMs that you think are at risk of losing their jobs if they don't make the playoffs this year, would make a rash move before the trade deadline as a result, and have the assets and cap space to even do so.
I'd say Cgy (Treliving), Van (Benning) for sure are on the hot seat. Two teams that are underperforming that are one good week away from being right around the last playoff spot.

Not that he will be gone now, but if Boston is just around the bubble team for a playoff spot I could for sure see them overpaying to make it.
Philly I could see overpaying, but more for a goalie than a F. But same mentality, a team that should be in the NHL playoffs that may overpay to at least show they tried.

Another big aspect is if more fans start being allowed for some games, I could see some ownership teams that need the $ to be willing to overpay to make sure they make it / give themselves a better chance to win a round. Possibly even at the cost of future wins.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
In retrospect, did Hall choose the Sabres as his desired destination for this year, or were they the only team that really wanted him?
My guess is other teams wanted Hall, but that Buffalo was the only team willing to give him close to the type of money he wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad