Speculation: Does Yandle Come Back This Summer?

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I hope so, but I doubt it would happen. Whatever nits there are to pick about his game, he would immediately be our second best defenseman. The team would be better with him on the roster.

Feb 12, 2003
My angle with Yandle is pretty much the same angle I've always had with Doan. If he's the best player at his position you will not have a winning team. The team isn't successful when Doan is our best forward. The team wasn't successful when Yandle was our best defenseman and only got better when OEL came into the lineup and helped relieve some of the minutes.

The Coyotes are in a position now with both players (Doan and Yandle) that they can be complimentary players and not THE player. The Captain always drives the team, but you need guys like Domi, Hanzal and Duclair to be the best players. We really need Strome to be better than any of them and this team will be a winner. OEL commands the back end and that allows more room for a guy like Yandle because you have two defensive pairs to match up with and if OEL doesn't get you, Yandle will.

That said, you must value Yandle as a guy as he has performed on winning teams differently than how he has performed on poorer teams. If Yandle is a top 5 defender in scoring but you miss the playoffs or he is a 40 point scorer and you are a playoff team you want to be the playoff team so you have to value him as the 40 point producer on a winner rather than a 50-60 point player on a loser.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Excellent post. The thing this team has needed every single year is more talent. Yandle instantly upgrades the talent on D by a large margin while not having to be the #1 guy. I'd rather pay him than the three or four extremely average guys we normally sign that will do nothing but keep more talented players in Jr/AHL.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My angle with Yandle is pretty much the same angle I've always had with Doan. If he's the best player at his position you will not have a winning team. The team isn't successful when Doan is our best forward. The team wasn't successful when Yandle was our best defenseman and only got better when OEL came into the lineup and helped relieve some of the minutes.

The Coyotes are in a position now with both players (Doan and Yandle) that they can be complimentary players and not THE player. The Captain always drives the team, but you need guys like Domi, Hanzal and Duclair to be the best players. We really need Strome to be better than any of them and this team will be a winner. OEL commands the back end and that allows more room for a guy like Yandle because you have two defensive pairs to match up with and if OEL doesn't get you, Yandle will.

That said, you must value Yandle as a guy as he has performed on winning teams differently than how he has performed on poorer teams. If Yandle is a top 5 defender in scoring but you miss the playoffs or he is a 40 point scorer and you are a playoff team you want to be the playoff team so you have to value him as the 40 point producer on a winner rather than a 50-60 point player on a loser.

Well said.

If the metrics.that we are looking to improve come back with Yandle in a very high role, then I can see it and support the move, although I truly have questions as to how high the barometer is on certain aspects of his game both on and off ice. Might also be that same factor that we saw in the Boedker debate. Some people had a strong dislike, but a lot of the dislike also appeared in the number behind the dollar sign. $6.0 M and above is tough for me the swallow, and anything above $6.5 M per year becomes my breaking point with Yandle, no questions asked.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
His rumoured ask was $6.4m, so he'll probably get between $6.0 and $6.4. Certainly not more than $6.5 unless it's a short term.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
6.4 is super reasonable imo. If that is his ask he will have his choice of where he wants to play, I imagine many teams would be willing offer that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad