Speculation: Does Yandle Come Back This Summer?

Desertdog214

Feb 18, 2009
AZ
I don't know his current stats....but is he any better with the Rangers than he was with the Coyotes?? Then, if not....let's try getting someone else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yandle has been making 5 mill a year on a contract he signed many years ago. He is now a UFA, which means he will get 6.5-7.5 mill for 5 or more years. As a UFA you get way more money and more term because you have leverage, 5.5-6 mill is unrealistic. I am pretty sure Tip would like to have him back here, the question is does he want to come back? Even then we could still be out bid, as I could see 7.5 mill over 7 years from somebody. The other thing is that the cap should go up in the next 5 years, so 7 mill might not be all that much money in 3 or 4 years.

IF anyone pays him 7.5/7 yrs. they can have him. Sign Demers and Goligoski. :nod:
You also have to think about the future payroll. In four yrs. OEL will want and get 10 mill, and then you have players like Strome, Domi, Duclair etc. all looking for big raises. We cannot afford to have 17 mill. of salary tied up on two D. You always talk about the cap going up, but that hurts more than helps the budget teams like ourselves. You need the money before you can spend it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
IF anyone pays him 7.5/7 yrs. they can have him. Sign Demers and Goligoski. :nod:
You also have to think about the future payroll. In four yrs. OEL will want and get 10 mill, and then you have players like Strome, Domi, Duclair etc. all looking for big raises. We cannot afford to have 17 mill. of salary tied up on two D. You always talk about the cap going up, but that hurts more than helps the budget teams like ourselves. You need the money before you can spend it.

I am not saying we should pay him 7.5, just that somebody might out bid us. The cap is going up and the owners need to figure out a better revenue stream or we will never be competitive for UFA's. NHL teams will pay a premium for top D like Yandle/Demers/Goligoski.

I can see our forward core being built with what we have in the pipe, consisting of ELC's and later RFA's. Our problem on D can not be fixed with our D in the minors, even if we pick 2 D this year in the first round. Those 2 D could help us in 4 or 5 years assuming they don't Gormley/Runblad us.

Our choices for this year and next are, sign expensive UFA D, or trade away some young talent and picks to acquire the D we need. I think we are better off in the long run by signing Yandle maybe Demers, to an expensive contract, rather then trading away Reider/Duclair/1st round picks to land a top 4D.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Saw a rumor from a Boston reporter that the Bruins are interested in Brian Campbell. Mentions that he wants a 1 year, big money deal if he's to leave Florida.

I imagine if they're interested in Campbell than they may not be interested in Yandle (or maybe they're more interested in Campbell than Yandle).

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Will it with improve Tippett's system and more of his clones added to the roster? I think we have to have offense from the dmen and great goal tending to win under Tippett. That's why I think they will make a strong offer to Yandle. Whether he accepts it or not or gets an insane offer from another team remains to be seen.

I think more offensive production has been required of the defense because we haven't had the offense - so basically we agree on that. Any disagreement comes from them"why" we haven't had the offense.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
So the argument is that we needed those types of D b/c our forward group wasn't that good and it got us to the playoffs. Isn't our upcoming group of forwards far better offensively than what we had when we were making the playoffs? Basically we would need to fill out the roster with some heavies on D and a few defensive minded forwards to shore up the bottom 6.

I agree it was born out of necessity, and that necessity is that most, if not all successful teams have to be incredibly solid defensively. Defense wins championships. To win a championship, you need to be in the playoffs. So defense gets a team into the playoffs. That is a necessity any team will buy into.

How is the current group far better?

Whitney / Vrbata - Domi / Duclair

The other pieces are similar as well. Sure there's more potential, but we're by no means there yet.

I said it often last season - we score three goals we're typically in pretty good shape. There's some shoring up to do and improvements to be made because we struggled to make that mark.

You like to look at stats - give it a look, I'd bet I'm right.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As far as the captaincy discussion goes, I wanna say Jonathan Toews was only 20 or 21 when he got the C. I'd have no problem with giving it to Domi if next season is Doan's last

It's always dangerous to talk about the effects of a captain without being in the room. That said I consider giving Tkachuk the captaincy so early a historical mistake of this franchise. That had more to do with Tkachuk the person than Tkachuk the hockey player, but if you let things wait a bit you can identify that before actually giving someone the C. I don't think Domi will be that kind of pain in the ass off the ice but ya never know.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I would be happy if we landed Yandle but I think he will stay on the East Coast and maybe sign with a competitor.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
How is the current group far better?

Whitney / Vrbata - Domi / Duclair

The other pieces are similar as well. Sure there's more potential, but we're by no means there yet.

I said it often last season - we score three goals we're typically in pretty good shape. There's some shoring up to do and improvements to be made because we struggled to make that mark.

You like to look at stats - give it a look, I'd bet I'm right.

Far better on potential and balanced scoring. 11-12 season we had Whitney at 77, Vrbata at 62, and Doan at 50. Next forward - Korpi at 37 points. 7 players at 37 or more points this year at forward, if you are including Boedker at 39 in 62 games. When considering that this was also done by first year players who had not made a mark like Whitney and Vrbata had in previous years, I'd say that lends itself to our forwards being far more productive. Maybe we have to look at this from a points per 60 min perspective, but it was not necessarily a reliance on one or two players, as in the 11-12 season. Obviously, Whitney will get a ton of points as he would have the puck on his stick far more, but you can't have a one man show.

So, maybe far better is too strong, but they are not far off when considering younger lineup this year. Just imagine if we reduce the number of quality chances from our opponents, which would reduce goals against. Let's say that magic number is a reduction of 20 goals against. I bet our forwards have a lot more time to do some work and swing some games in our favor.

We have a PMD in OEL. Another one wont hurt, but I believe that all defensemen have the ability to move the puck. The question is whether we are collectively making situations where it is easier to get the puck out. If Yandle has a guy hounding him with pressure consistently, it won't matter that he is a puck mover. He will still be forced into mistakes as a result. But give a.stay at home player space go work with, and he can get the puck out and up.the ice just as well.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Far better on potential and balanced scoring. 11-12 season we had Whitney at 77, Vrbata at 62, and Doan at 50. Next forward - Korpi at 37 points. 7 players at 37 or more points this year at forward, if you are including Boedker at 39 in 62 games. When considering that this was also done by first year players who had not made a mark like Whitney and Vrbata had in previous years, I'd say that lends itself to our forwards being far more productive. Maybe we have to look at this from a points per 60 min perspective, but it was not necessarily a reliance on one or two players, as in the 11-12 season. Obviously, Whitney will get a ton of points as he would have the puck on his stick far more, but you can't have a one man show.

So, maybe far better is too strong, but they are not far off when considering younger lineup this year. Just imagine if we reduce the number of quality chances from our opponents, which would reduce goals against. Let's say that magic number is a reduction of 20 goals against. I bet our forwards have a lot more time to do some work and swing some games in our favor.

We have a PMD in OEL. Another one wont hurt, but I believe that all defensemen have the ability to move the puck. The question is whether we are collectively making situations where it is easier to get the puck out. If Yandle has a guy hounding him with pressure consistently, it won't matter that he is a puck mover. He will still be forced into mistakes as a result. But give a.stay at home player space go work with, and he can get the puck out and up.the ice just as well.

Just like my response to Remo, I don't think we're in disagreement here. The D should be able to concentrate more on defense, as improvement develops up front. I'm not saying we don't also need improvement on the backend, but merely question what seems to be the general consensus that we're good to go up front.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
11-12 season is kind of the outlier here too.

Even in 09-10 season, we were looking to upgrade at forward with Wolski and Stempniak upgrades. You're right that we are always in work in progress mode, but we are so far ahead from a skill level perspective. We need to finish out by having players with consistent motor and positioning in the bottom 6. Richardson is one of those. Martinook as well. That is why I am high on Dvorak and hopefully as the season progresses, we see Strome start to move into the top 6 and either Hanzal or Vermette provides that "wear you down" presence.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
When Yandle was here , he was usually top 3 in scoring for D. Hasn't really been close since he left.. Hopefully he will see that and come back ..

Yandle and OEL on the PP changes a lot for us .

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Ironically, his worst statistical years in points were actually the years when the team did best (franchise points record in a season and WCF trip).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When Yandle was here , he was usually top 3 in scoring for D. Hasn't really been close since he left.. Hopefully he will see that and come back ..

Yandle and OEL on the PP changes a lot for us .

Ironically, his worst statistical years in points were actually the years when the team did best (franchise points record in a season and WCF trip).

I have said many times, it's not all about points. What you do without the puck is as important as what you do with it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I have said many times, it's not all about points. What you do without the puck is as important as what you do with it.

I'm aware. Part of what I was saying was that if we are looking at Yandle from a pure points perspective, it may be a mixed bag. The more points he scores, the more likely he is out there and also having to defend. Which could be a very bad thing if the right personnel is not paired with him.

Plus, it may give some opposite thought to the idea that the team goes as Yandle goes. Maybe the effectiveness of those secondary players in secondary roles were what helped more than realized - goes for forwards, D, and even the great LaBarbera, haha...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just like my response to Remo, I don't think we're in disagreement here. The D should be able to concentrate more on defense, as improvement develops up front. I'm not saying we don't also need improvement on the backend, but merely question what seems to be the general consensus that we're good to go up front.

Correct. We are getting more talent up front, but by no means are we there yet. Once the forwards can keep possession of the puck and score more our defense will improve. Our D has to been improved as most know, as Murphy has no business being a top pairing D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm aware. Part of what I was saying was that if we are looking at Yandle from a pure points perspective, it may be a mixed bag. The more points he scores, the more likely he is out there and also having to defend. Which could be a very bad thing if the right personnel is not paired with him.

Plus, it may give some opposite thought to the idea that the team goes as Yandle goes. Maybe the effectiveness of those secondary players in secondary roles were what helped more than realized - goes for forwards, D, and even the great LaBarbera, haha...

So true.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I think if we still had Don, we'd have more of chance. He liked bringing back the old boys. I can't see it happening though. I think Keith still wants to play on a contender.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
11-12 season is kind of the outlier here too.

Even in 09-10 season, we were looking to upgrade at forward with Wolski and Stempniak upgrades. You're right that we are always in work in progress mode, but we are so far ahead from a skill level perspective. We need to finish out by having players with consistent motor and positioning in the bottom 6. Richardson is one of those. Martinook as well. That is why I am high on Dvorak and hopefully as the season progresses, we see Strome start to move into the top 6 and either Hanzal or Vermette provides that "wear you down" presence.

I like to think we're far ahead talent wise too, but it's really all hypothetical at this point. It's the big show for a reason and most of what we're touting as shoe ins have yet to show anything at the NHL level.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Correct. We are getting more talent up front, but by no means are we there yet. Once the forwards can keep possession of the puck and score more our defense will improve. Our D has to been improved as most know, as Murphy has no business being a top pairing D.

From what I've read, puck possession will be an emphasis as it should be and really has been. The difference is being able to finish, which is something we've woefully lacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad