Speculation: Does Yandle Come Back This Summer?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I know that with Maloney running the team, it didn't seem likely, but now that Tippett has a major say in things, do you think they will push for Yandle?

They say they want 2 top 4 defensemen. Yandle is definitely top 4, and we obviously have rapport with him. We could potentially fill a huge personnel gap by adding one man. I think it will come down to whether Yandle wants to return or not.

Yandle probably wants the freedom to finally have his choice in who he signs with for the first time in his career, and you have to imagine if Boston wants him it's almost a sealed deal...but who knows what Boston's GM is even doing these days. I imagine there is some interest to return on Yandle's part, especially seeing as Doan looks to be hanging up his skates after next season, so he could take over captaincy.

We've all talked about the possibility, let's get a consensus.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
My vote was more of a "hope not" one. While I wouldn't mind him coming back, it would have to be with a strong defensive d-man to pair him with.

I'm thinking we might get a major re-vamp of the Defensemen, meaning that OEL and Murphy are safe, but the rest are not.

Despite Stone being a strong player and Connauton doing well, I have a feeling Tippett may want more experienced D-men; we'll see.

RABBIT

I feel he will not. But I wish he would. He'd immediately be the 2nd most effective player on our team.

I wish i could edit my poll options. I think there are a lot of us who want him to come back, but feel he won't.

EDIT: Mods, anyway you could add 2 more options?
"I hope so" and "I hope not." It's really not that important, but it would be interesting to know who is for it and who isn't. Either way, thank you.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I want to see it happen and think it will be a great move for the team. The problem is that we along with 20+ other teams are in need of top 4D. The premium that Yandle will get as a UFA will be substantial as the best LHD available. I think it is unlikely that he signs here because:

1. Somebody else will pay him more money or give him more term.
2. Yandle wants to play some place else, Boston/NYC, better team whatever.
3. Yandle does not want to comeback to Arizona because of instability, where the team will play, doesn't like Tip, whatever reason.

I am hoping it happens but think it is unlikely. if it does happen it will be at 6.5/7 mill+ for 6-7 years, expensive. If we trade for a top 4D, I think it costs us a young player like Reider, a first round pick, and a prospect (think Perlini). Trading for a top 4D will be more expensive.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
EDIT: Mods, anyway you could add 2 more options?
"I hope so" and "I hope not." It's really not that important, but it would be interesting
to know who is for it and who isn't. Either way, thank you.

Added.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I don't think he will but I want him to. I think he's going to get a lot of offers, and another team will give him the same or similar money and the benefit of being on a winning team. The wild card is how much he liked living here, but it's not like we're the only nice place to live with an NHL team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No. I think we have moved on.

Love Yandle. Very underrated. Remarkably so.

I just don't think he's what Tippett wants on blue line.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I always gathered that Tippett liked Yandle.

Tolerated at times. Appreciated at other times.

I'm not saying he hates Yandle or his play but I feel Tippets vision of the blue line he wants is a bit more two way/bigger and has a slightly different skill set than what Yandle brings to the party.

If I'm wrong (and believe me that happens) he's the top guy available and we will be all in on a max term deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know that with Maloney running the team, it didn't seem likely, but now that Tippett has a major say in things, do you think they will push for Yandle?

They say they want 2 top 4 defensemen. Yandle is definitely top 4, and we obviously have rapport with him. We could potentially fill a huge personnel gap by adding one man. I think it will come down to whether Yandle wants to return or not.

Yandle probably wants the freedom to finally have his choice in who he signs with for the first time in his career, and you have to imagine if Boston wants him it's almost a sealed deal...but who knows what Boston's GM is even doing these days. I imagine there is some interest to return on Yandle's part, especially seeing as Doan looks to be hanging up his skates after next season, so he could take over captaincy.

We've all talked about the possibility, let's get a consensus.

This will be OEL's team in a year. I don't think he comes back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel he will not. But I wish he would. He'd immediately be the 2nd most effective player on our team.

I would think you have OEL first, but I would put Hanzal and maybe even Domi ahead of him. I love Yandle, he is a winner and puts it all on the line, but there is no way I give him 7 yrs. We are still rebuilding and will not be a contender for a couple of more years, so I say wait one more year, then do a major trade or signing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
His leadership qualities are off the board. He would make a great captain in the Doan mold. I remember how he acted after Doan scored that last second hat trick. His team would follow him through a mine field. That's the kind of respect he gathered here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His leadership qualities are off the board. He would make a great captain in the Doan mold. I remember how he acted after Doan scored that last second hat trick. His team would follow him through a mine field. That's the kind of respect he gathered here.

No disagreement there, but this is OEL's team now. Doan will hand over the torch to him when he retires.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tolerated at times. Appreciated at other times.

I'm not saying he hates Yandle or his play but I feel Tippets vision of the blue line he wants is a bit more two way/bigger and has a slightly different skill set than what Yandle brings to the party.

If I'm wrong (and believe me that happens) he's the top guy available and we will be all in on a max term deal.

I don't think you are wrong in Tip wanting a bigger 2 way D. None are available. If we can sign a top 4D like Yandle, we have to do it. They just are not available. Unless Tip does not want him because of his play without the puck in his own zone. PMD's are so valuable now, all about puck possession and puck movers, the playoffs are clearly showing that now.

RABBIT

I think OEL is, by default, the next captain of this team. Mostly due to him being our best player and being heavily respected for it, but honestly, i like captains to be vocal and to the point in the locker rooms and to the media, while also leading on the ice. I think they make the best captains in the league. Doan is not the kind of guy you want to piss off or "half ass it" in front of, he'll be quick to call you on your **** and that's effective. I don't see OEL as that type of leader. He'd be great at leading by example on the ice, but i don't see him as the guy to have a sit down, closed door mandatory team meeting when things get rough like Doan has done before.

Kind of like the Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. Both very skilled guys that were named captain because of that reason, but were demoted for not being aggressive enough when they needed to be. Pavelski comes in and strong arms his teammates, lights a fire under their ass, and backs it up with his play on the ice, earning his captaincy. And San Jose has thrived under his leadership.

Now I would not be upset if OEL was the next captain of this team, but if it was up to me to choose off our current roster right now, I would go with Max Domi. Very vocal, very passionate, respected by teammates and coaches, and backs his **** up on the ice. I think he would make a great captain for this team down the long stretch. If Yandle returned, he would also be a very strong candidate for captaincy.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Now I would not be upset if OEL was the next captain of this team, but if it was up to me to choose off our current roster right now, I would go with Max Domi. Very vocal, very passionate, respected by teammates and coaches, and backs his **** up on the ice. I think he would make a great captain for this team down the long stretch. If Yandle returned, he would also be a very strong candidate for captaincy.

I agree re: Domi. He's definitely captain material.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
No disagreement there, but this is OEL's team now. Doan will hand over the torch to him when he retires.

Second time you've said that and I disagree. Mostly on principle, as it's no one players team, but there is still Doan, a young major contributor in Domi and plenty of room for the likes of a stud like Yandle.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Second time you've said that and I disagree. Mostly on principle, as it's no one players team, but there is still Doan, a young major contributor in Domi and plenty of room for the likes of a stud like Yandle.

By saying OEL's team, I meant as far as being named captain, after Doan retires. I loved Yandle when he was here, but for me, once you are traded you lose your seniority. Domi may be a captain some day, but not after one or two years. In my opinion he has to earn his stripes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad