Speculation: Does Yandle Come Back This Summer?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
By saying OEL's team, I meant as far as being named captain, after Doan retires. I loved Yandle when he was here, but for me, once you are traded you lose your seniority. Domi may be a captain some day, but not after one or two years. In my opinion he has to earn his stripes.

Okay, I understand.

However (since you brought it up), why would the team punish themselves for having traded him? I see him as better Captain material than OEL.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
By saying OEL's team, I meant as far as being named captain, after Doan retires. I loved Yandle when he was here, but for me, once you are traded you lose your seniority. Domi may be a captain some day, but not after one or two years. In my opinion he has to earn his stripes.

This isn't Star Trek and young Domi doesn't get to change the world in a starship. I agree. He needs to grow and mature for a good number of years before he gets the C.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised either way if he did or didn't. Very likely that more of the analytics paint him in a positive light, but I would like to see bigger breakdowns of the zone exit information (i.e. what is his real value 5 on 5, as zone exits will trend in his favor if including PP exits).

I still am not certain of this captaincy thought. If he is a future captain, you do everything to sign him long-term before he gets traded. My perspective was that we handed out those 'A's to Hanzal and Yandle b/c they obviously had good stats, but they were looked at for simply signing longer term deals when very few others would. You rarely see a captain or alternate captain that will change every 1-2 years. Looks good when attracting other FAs to have some sort of lineage for the next 2-5 years, so to speak.

My belief is that if we play strong enough defensively, our defense and forward group will have more space to spring plays. We develop into a strong counter-attacking team as a result to give us that little edge. Wear down teams with some stronger defensive play from "heavier" defensemen. Then, our offense will hold the puck more in the latter stages of the game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Winning two playoff series in a row getting regularly outshot by 15 each game is not something we can ever count on again. We need offensive zone time.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Comes down to good offensive possession v bad offensive possession (and by that logic, good v bad defensive play).

If all 15 of those shots came:
1. from closer to the blue line
2. from bad angles
3. with less traffic in front

I don't feel as negatively towards that shot disparity. It means that while we don't possess the puck as much, we are not giving up high quality chances in the interim. Still a concern, obviously, though.

That is what we have seen the past 3 years - definitive higher quality chances while being outshot. That is a recipe for ultimate disaster. Combine that with such poor PK, and we have our issues right there.

rt

May 13, 2004
We needed those types of D and that type of strategy because our forwards wholey ntalented. It was born from necessity and has never been the approach of a championship team. Never will be.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Doesn't look like that's an option to add once it's been created. Rabbit will need to make a new poll.

FWIW, my vote would be "I hope so, but no".
That would be my vote as well.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Bingo

And the offense is still a far cry from where it needs to be.

Will it with improve Tippett's system and more of his clones added to the roster? I think we have to have offense from the dmen and great goal tending to win under Tippett. That's why I think they will make a strong offer to Yandle. Whether he accepts it or not or gets an insane offer from another team remains to be seen.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We needed those types of D and that type of strategy because our forwards wholey ntalented. It was born from necessity and has never been the approach of a championship team. Never will be.

So the argument is that we needed those types of D b/c our forward group wasn't that good and it got us to the playoffs. Isn't our upcoming group of forwards far better offensively than what we had when we were making the playoffs? Basically we would need to fill out the roster with some heavies on D and a few defensive minded forwards to shore up the bottom 6.

I agree it was born out of necessity, and that necessity is that most, if not all successful teams have to be incredibly solid defensively. Defense wins championships. To win a championship, you need to be in the playoffs. So defense gets a team into the playoffs. That is a necessity any team will buy into.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Would like him back, but 7 yr/$45m (as rumored by Larry Brooks) will be a bad contract by Yr 3.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd be more than fine if he chose to come back. I just dont think he will.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Let's say he does actually want to come back. What would people want the salary to be?

I'm ok with 5yrs at 6m or 7 at $5.5m, nothing more. I don't think we should go 7x7

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Generally I don't like these mega-term deals, but as previously stated, Yandle's game lends itself to a long, productive career. Also worth noting his durability. He has a nice ironman streaking going. He hasn't missed a game in 7 years.

So I'd be OK with the Brooks number of 45/7. I may even go as high as 49/7 (7 mil per).

One concern is if we draft one of the high-end LHDs (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev), it doesn't make much sense to add Yandle as, long term, we'd have the drafted player as the 3LD stuck behind OEL and Yandle.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Generally I don't like these mega-term deals, but as previously stated, Yandle's game lends itself to a long, productive career. Also worth noting his durability. He has a nice ironman streaking going. He hasn't missed a game in 7 years.

So I'd be OK with the Brooks number of 45/7. I may even go as high as 49/7 (7 mil per).

One concern is if we draft one of the high-end LHDs (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev), it doesn't make much sense to add Yandle as, long term, we'd have the drafted player as the 3LD stuck behind OEL and Yandle.

Don't know about Sergachev but both Chychrun and Juolevi have been experimented with on the right while in the O. And honestly, I don't see it as a huge problem to at least try one of them on the right for a while. No point in drawing that conclusion now as to whether they can't play it.

Voted hope so, would love to have him back here.

rt

May 13, 2004
Juolevi played the right side at the WJC but not in the OHL as far as I know. I've heard Chychrun played some time in the right side in the OHL either last season or more recently but this has been dismissed by hard core OHL fans any time I bring it up. Sergachev, though, has spent much of the season and all of the playoffs playing RD on a pair with Logan Stanley in Windsor.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Sergachev definitely plays on the right side as a LHD

It was also my understanding that both Chychrun and Juolevi had spent some time on the right side, although that may have been personnel/injury-related and not necessarily an everyday thing

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Let's say he does actually want to come back. What would people want the salary to be?

I'm ok with 5yrs at 6m or 7 at $5.5m, nothing more. I don't think we should go 7x7

Yandle has been making 5 mill a year on a contract he signed many years ago. He is now a UFA, which means he will get 6.5-7.5 mill for 5 or more years. As a UFA you get way more money and more term because you have leverage, 5.5-6 mill is unrealistic. I am pretty sure Tip would like to have him back here, the question is does he want to come back? Even then we could still be out bid, as I could see 7.5 mill over 7 years from somebody. The other thing is that the cap should go up in the next 5 years, so 7 mill might not be all that much money in 3 or 4 years.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
As far as the captaincy discussion goes, I wanna say Jonathan Toews was only 20 or 21 when he got the C. I'd have no problem with giving it to Domi if next season is Doan's last

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad