Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
No chance. The season's over. With the way it's spreading worse and worse daily, this definitely won't be over by August, the latest the NHL asked arenas to use up to the 31st. And like someone mentioned, no knowing for sure if there is gonna be a 2nd wind once it settles down.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
The only way this would be remotely possible is if there was a designated venue set up for a playoff tournament with no fans, and all the team personnel were in isolation throughout at a designated nearby hotel where all the staff would also be in isolation for the duration of the tournament.

It's a longshot, but if everyone involved was not in contact with the public throughout, it could theoretically be possible at a single venue in Canada in several weeks from now.

I thought the largest group of people who could be together was 50 (and that was probably more than a week ago so likely the number is even smaller now). Since a game obviously involves two teams, coaching staffs, on-ice and off-ice officials, and arena staff, that would be too many people.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I thought the largest group of people who could be together was 50 (and that was probably more than a week ago so likely the number is even smaller now). Since a game obviously involves two teams, coaching staffs, on-ice and off-ice officials, and arena staff, that would be too many people.
no groups larger than 5 allowed in ontario , excluding family

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I was referring to several weeks from now.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
My Idea to save the season for the fans might be too hard on the players, although they do get paid enough.......

I think they could move all the teams to either 2 or or 4 cities or even in a small town with abilities to accomodate them. Rework the schedule so that only the teams in each location play each other in a small arena for TV only, and test all the players first and keep them isolated from anyone not tested. Smash through the games left in the season and then do something similar for the playoffs. Just have it for tv only...

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This poll right now is moving to the wrong way.... stay positive y'all. :clap: Y'all is the best fans of the most legendary sports club in the world. Richest too. Mayne we hard. Stay positive like trump just did and him calling it 1st of june would be the opening day for doors and works. Mayne we moving forward. NHL could be played even during june, or july. Interesthang for sure.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
IMO, no. Season is done, written off. No awards should be given out, they'll just have an * anyway.

Next season's start is in question as well.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This poll right now is moving to the wrong way.... stay positive y'all. :clap: Y'all is the best fans of the most legendary sports club in the world. Richest too. Mayne we hard. Stay positive like trump just did and him calling it 1st of june would be the opening day for doors and works. Mayne we moving forward. NHL could be played even during june, or july. Interesthang for sure.
Word, B!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well the lockdown in the States has just been extended to end of April.

That leaves only May and June thereafter logistically, because lets not forget all player contracts for the season end on June 30th, as the new season begins and free agency on July 1st.

NHL couldn't play into July and August because for example Tyson Barrie (like any other pending UFA) would no longer be under contract to their current teams. Similarly any pending RFA for teams would also not be under contract..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well the lockdown in the States has just been extended to end of April.

That leaves only May and June thereafter logistically, because lets not forget all player contracts for the season end on June 30th, as the new season begins and free agency on July 1st.

NHL couldn't play into July and August because for example Tyson Barrie (like any other pending UFA) would no longer be under contract to their current teams. Similarly any pending RFA for teams would also not be under contract..
They could figure that out if needed. I don't see it being needed though, this season is over.
Hopefully the 2020/2021 NHL and NFL seasons can start on time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL players have been off skates since mid March, during rink closures. Even if the shutdown ended in say mid May, saying its safe to go back to work and open up.

How long would it take conditionally for hockey players that haven't skated for 2 months to even get back up to speed?

Setting that problem aside, the level of play if there was a June Stanley Cup tournament the quality of play would be similar to exhibition levels.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They could figure that out if needed. I don't see it being needed though, this season is over.

I could see the NHL plowing through the summer months much like the NFL is doing by keeping free agency and the draft and other things moving forward that are non game play related in preparation for next year.

The NFL (virus permitting) is tracking for the 2020/21 season... The NHL would be wise to pull the plug on this season and get all their off season business in order to gear up for next year.

Biggest hurdle that the NFL does not face is the Salary Cap for next year as their season completed and NHL due to lost season could see a big hit to the current upper limits of the Cap even dropping $5-10 mil which creates a whole new problem for NHL teams to start on time if they're tasked with cutting payroll by $10 mil to meet cap compliance issues.

I understand the NHL reluctance to pull the plug and calling time of death on this year, but its hard to envision due to the corona world wide pandemic that this one can be saved. Worst case scenario is this one is lost and then due to delays in preparation next year is also impacted by late starting dates. It would be terrible if NHL is using Sept for free agency and the draft and Oct for exhibition and not starting up until Nov.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I could see the NHL plowing through the summer months much like the NFL is doing by keeping free agency and the draft and other things moving forward that are non game play related in preparation for next year.

The NFL (virus permitting) is tracking for the 2020/21 season... The NHL would be wise to pull the plug on this season and get all their off season business in order to gear up for next year.

Biggest hurdle that the NFL does not face is the Salary Cap for next year as their season completed and NHL due to lost season could see a big hit to the current upper limits of the Cap even dropping $5-10 mil which creates a whole new problem for NHL teams to start on time if they're tasked with cutting payroll by $10 mil to meet cap compliance issues.

I understand the NHL reluctance to pull the plug and calling time of death on this year, but its hard to envision due to the corona world wide pandemic that this one can be saved. Worst case scenario is this one is lost and then due to delays in preparation next year is also impacted by late starting dates. It would be terrible if NHL is using Sept for free agency and the draft and Oct for exhibition and not starting up until Nov.
Big advantage the NFL obviously had was the season being complete. The NHL will have much more to consider if they wipe the season which I'm sure they are well underway planning for.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Nope.....The NFL is already discussing delaying the start of its season so I don't think we'll be seeing hockey until the fall (if we're lucky).

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
How many people would feel comfortable even going to a game come July?

It seems like the summer is an eternity away, but the virus and its effects (socially) aren't going to disappear in a matter of a month like people believe. We'll continue to hold out hope the season continues. I think the league would be nuts to do so.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Ya, what happens with the upcoming NFL season will tell us what will happen with the NHL I'd think.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I thought the Olympics being pushed back an entire year should have been the telltale sign.
Could be. The NFL can wait until whenever their training camps begin (mid summer) though. Might be a slight advantage (versus Olympics) as they are able to wait a little longer before they make their decision on what to do with their season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad