Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
players are too out of shape now to go into playoff mode, injuries will happen,etc ... its done

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I might get chastised for this but I'm enjoying the classic games being replayed now more than the season we were having. 80s hockey was nuts and I get to see games I missed the first time around.

We probably would've made the playoffs and lost in the first round again. What sucks is Matthews was so close to a 50 goal season.

That's the real shame from the leafs POV.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes and this is why.. Gary says they have to to keep the integrity of the game.... :skeptic: ... bwahahahhahahaha ... ROTFLMAO ....

OK the real reason why they will continue is because companies like Rogers paid mega money to the NHL to sell advertisements to recoup that mega money and make more mega money ... billions will be lost if they don't play ... players will have to ante up some escrow money... everyone will lose boatloads of money and if the NHL shows they are willing to accept financial losses the big pay day Gary was betting on with the new US TV deal will be pennys on the dollar compared to what he thought they would get.

Gary has to show his investors/TV partners that the NHL is a good money bet and you can trust your money with Gary...

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Somewhere in here, there is a joke about social distancing on the ice, staying 6 feet apart, and the Leafs have been doing that for a while anyway so might be good at it?? I am sure it has likely been posted somewhere... too many just couldn't resist lol.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Billions will be lost if they start up play and have to close it down again once people start getting sick. If that ends up happening then next season will be delayed even further.

Also, come to think of it, how much financial benefit would the league receive if they re-start? Likely no fans in the arena, or if there are, not full houses. TV revenue will likely be depressed, with companies not having the same cash resources to buy ads as before. And if the NHL gets going, they'll not only be competing with the NBA, but also MLB. All the while pushing back the start of next season into November, the earliest.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Also, come to think of it, how much financial benefit would the league receive if they re-start? Likely no fans in the arena, or if there are, not full houses. TV revenue will likely be depressed, with companies not having the same cash resources to buy ads as before. And if the NHL gets going, they'll not only be competing with the NBA, but also MLB. All the while pushing back the start of next season into November, the earliest.
Also, come to think you sire just didn't understand the value NHL will get when they do come back. They are the only sport and league everybody's be following then. So they be gittin new fans while at it. There would only be the NHL then. Everybody in the world would be watching. That's money right thurr. All tv stations would be all over that. That how the business go and I know bout business. That's exactly one of the reasons nhl keepin it open and watching it all the time and striking exactly when the time is right. Even two months from now is possible. Mayne the goin hard, while getting new fans all over the world. That's great.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Also, come to think you sire just didn't understand the value NHL will get when they do come back. They are the only sport and league everybody's be following then. So they be gittin new fans while at it. There would only be the NHL then. Everybody in the world would be watching. That's money right thurr. All tv stations would be all over that. That how the business go and I know bout business. That's exactly one of the reasons nhl keepin it open and watching it all the time and striking exactly when the time is right. Even two months from now is possible. Mayne the goin hard, while getting new fans all over the world. That's great.

What don't I get? Why would the NHL be the only sport and league everybody would be following then?

Reactions: Jojalu

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
N
What don't I get? Why would the NHL be the only sport and league everybody would be following then?
None other leagues is playing. No olympics. Nada. Just the NHL and some other sumo wrestlers. That's hard right thurr sire. That's money and everybody watching the NHL and the maple leafs. Thats so much dollar for us and for the league. Mayne we gittin rich soon :clap: They know this, that's why they keeping it open. They the only ones keeping it open. NBA might, but that ain't enough. Even with nhl and nba going at the same time, they would get all the other fans of the world. Other sports is just losing fans, while our sucka league is getting them all :clap: We getting all the sports viewers and tv followers then. Empty stadions at the beginning, but everybody watching from tv us.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
N

None other leagues is playing. No olympics. Nada. Just the NHL and some other sumo wrestlers. That's hard right thurr sire. That's money and everybody watching the NHL and the maple leafs. Thats so much dollar for us and for the league. Mayne we gittin rich soon :clap: They know this, that's why they keeping it open. They the only ones keeping it open. NBA might, but that ain't enough. Even with nhl and nba going at the same time, they would get all the other fans of the world. Other sports is just losing fans, while our sucka league is getting them all :clap: We getting all the sports viewers and tv followers then. Empty stadions at the beginning, but everybody watching from tv us.

You obviously missed that part when I said that if the NHL and NBA are playing, so would MLB. That right there is going to take a chunk of any viewers.

Either way, this is moot. This season's all but done.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
There's no way the NHL would risk returning before the other leagues. If the NHL was operating while the other leagues were suspended, and someone got sick at a hockey game, then the NHL would have no claim for duty of care and would be on the hook for millions. Not to mention they'd just have to re-suspend operations as soon as someone got sick.

If this thing peaks in July, then I just don't see how the NHL could resume operations until August or September at the earliest.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
There's no way the NHL would risk returning before the other leagues. If the NHL was operating while the other leagues were suspended, and someone got sick at a hockey game, then the NHL would have no claim for duty of care and would be on the hook for millions. Not to mention they'd just have to re-suspend operations as soon as someone got sick.

If this thing peaks in July, then I just don't see how the NHL could resume operations until August or September at the earliest.
August might be it sire you already knew :clap: They eyeing on that thurr, so hard. Mayne we making that cash soon :clap: Big tyme like you already knew! August at the latest mayne we hard!

Reactions: Primary Assist

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
N

Will there really be sumo wrestling? Talk about your silver linings!

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Will there really be sumo wrestling? Talk about your silver linings!
I mean mayne, that could be possible. Since its one on one action. In belarus, they are playing real hard as we speaks. Everrybody. Even the prime minister or president. Just watched it. Mayne they playing football, ice hockey, all country. And nobody's sick or dying. Mayne they hard. NHL might come back soon too. Like in two months. Even after that. Like three months. Dirt, they might play even after summa when reading daly's comments. They hard sire, but you already knew.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Season probably is done. Which is a shame, but that's our current reality. We just don't know how much worse this might get. The situation might not even have a handle on it until next year when they might be able to get a vaccine.

If they could that would be great. A very big uplifting boost to have something normal back out there again. But, I just don't see it right now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The States are done like dinner. They look like incompetent unprepared chaos. We will hit a peak in a week 14 days but I don’t think they are even nearing peak. North american sports aren’t looking like they will be up and running at least 2 months. Nasty down there.

Sep 18, 2009
The States are done like dinner. They look like incompetent unprepared chaos. We will hit a peak in a week 14 days but I don’t think they are even nearing peak. North american sports aren’t looking like they will be up and running at least 2 months. Nasty down there.
2 months?
More like next year
the United States is done

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It is saddening watching the trajectory this is going for them.
No sire. Not surely. They know this too and might take a hint from the swedish code. They are just carenteening older people and the rest young ones just take it and run it through and get the protection/immunity. Then they are good and done. The states might also take this lead from 4-5 weeks from now. There have been hints. Might even let everybody run outside after that. The immunity will go up fast when 60-80% of the population have had it. Then nhl arenas might flow again too :clap: That'll be fun. Also uh, they might start the games in the nhl with empty seats. Then go with the television watchers and after that for the crowds. That'll be fun too. Imagine how glad every sucka is when this caranteen is ova. They gon run to the streets from like 1.5 month from now. Getting the immunity and livin it up like ja rule did back in his prime. Mayne that gon be hard. NHL is really watching this closely and actin on it as soon as possible. They might open the gates from 1.5-2 monthts from now. Even 3, but sounds like US wants it open july 1 already. People will be so glad.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No sire. Not surely. They know this too and might take a hint from the swedish code. They are just carenteening older people and the rest young ones just take it and run it through and get the protection/immunity. Then they are good and done. The states might also take this lead from 4-5 weeks from now. There have been hints. Might even let everybody run outside after that. The immunity will go up fast when 60-80% of the population have had it. Then nhl arenas might flow again too :clap: That'll be fun. Also uh, they might start the games in the nhl with empty seats. Then go with the television watchers and after that for the crowds. That'll be fun too. Imagine how glad every sucka is when this caranteen is ova. They gon run to the streets from like 1.5 month from now. Getting the immunity and livin it up like ja rule did back in his prime. Mayne that gon be hard. NHL is really watching this closely and actin on it as soon as possible. They might open the gates from 1.5-2 monthts from now. Even 3, but sounds like US wants it open july 1 already. People will be so glad.
Sounds like taking long walk on a short plank there matie argghhh

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
It's as good as done. This won't be over by the end of the summer. I truly believe we're looking at a January 2021 start date; if we tempt fate and restart professional sports, we're looking at a dangerous second wave of COVID infections being a foregone conclusion.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This debate has become moot. Season will not/should not restart. Once this virus begins to ebb, the last thing we need is to start gathering together again. I envision a long sloooooooooooooooow return to normalcy. And even then, what will be "normal"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad