Does Toronto make it out of the 1st round next year?

Will the Leafs make it out of the 1st round?

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Possible.
Leafs live and die by that goaltending. That forward group is about as good as it gets in the NHL; two legitimate 1C's is a scary thing (as proven by Pittsburgh and Washington). Defence still looks like shit, but with JT in the fold, you can probably get away with it until you have to play one of the big dogs (Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa).

I feel that they match up better against a team like Boston now. More or less Bergeron can't go out there and take both Tavares and Matthews behind the woodshed. They'll have to pick their poison. One line will get some better match-ups, and Kadri will be a huge deciding factor for this years' version of the Leafs. He's was one on the better 2C's in the league, and now they can move him down to 3C.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Possible.
Leafs live and die by that goaltending. That forward group is about as good as it gets in the NHL; two legitimate 1C's is a scary thing (as proven by Pittsburgh and Washington). Defence still looks like ****, but with JT in the fold, you can probably get away with it until you have to play one of the big dogs (Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa).

I feel that they match up better against a team like Boston now. More or less Bergeron can't go out there and take both Tavares and Matthews behind the woodshed. They'll have to pick their poison. One line will get some better match-ups, and Kadri will be a huge deciding factor for this years' version of the Leafs. He's was one on the better 2C's in the league, and now they can move him down to 3C.
Not true at all.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Reminder: HF Told us the Leafs wouldn't make the playoffs for the duration of Babcock's contract. Yes, that was a thread. ask @Burke the Legend
HF is not, nor has it ever been, a single entity.

Also, some threads are misguided. Some posters absolutely jumped on the opportunity to make fun of the Jets and how they're always overrated after our first couple of games this season. We saw how that turned out.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Also, some threads are misguided. Some posters absolutely jumped on the opportunity to make fun of the Jets and how they're always overrated after our first couple of games this season. We saw how that turned out.

There's a difference between saying the Jets are overrated over a 5 or whatever game sample and claiming the Leafs wouldn't make the playoffs for EIGHT years. One might be guided by blissful ignorance the other is....I don't know. You tell me.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
There's a difference between saying the Jets are overrated over a 5 or whatever game sample and claiming the Leafs wouldn't make the playoffs for EIGHT years. One might be guided by blissful ignorance the other is....I don't know. You tell me.
But all it takes is for one poster to laughably overreact and make a silly thread for some users to claim an HF wide bias. Which was the point.

HF is not a single entity. Much like I don't judge all posters based on some silly threads made as an overreaction to two bad first games of the season, one would think that people shouldn't overreact to obviously premature threads posted after one season of an eight year contract.

Reactions: Redwingsfan

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

LOL. Like 3/4 of Jets Nation was calling for a tank after the first game.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Maybe.

Maybe not.

But I can assure you that the Leafs will be a better team than many who DO get out of the first round.

(i.e they're obviously better than 1st round exit team but if they get matched against Tampa for example...)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The real answer is.... Who the hell knows? They added, they subtracted.

We will just have to wait and see.
The addition is so much better than the subtraction.
I really do not believe any team would be told they would miss Leo komorov like the Leafs have.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
So non-Leaf fans will be right for once then?The track record of predictions for the Leafs is beyond brutal on here. I would list them, but I don't have time.
People are eating a lot of crow recently that hate the Leafs. I thought Tavares was a lock to resign with the Islanders?
And Leo Komorov couldn't even crack our lineup once our young guys established themselves in the playoffs. Is he really a loss? Bozak is goen at C..and Tavres has replaced him.
Ok dude stop acting like Leafs fans have a good track record on here :laugh:

Quite a few of you guys think Tavares makes you legit Stanley Cup contenders.

Reactions: dukeofjive

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
My issue with this is in other threads they will claim that Andersen "worries" them and isn't that good. So if both the defense and goaltending are bad, how the hell were they 12th in GA?
When people say goaltending was bad, they are referring to Andersen's playoff performance. It was sub par at best.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ok dude stop acting like Leafs fans have a good track record on here :laugh:

Quite a few of you guys think Tavares makes you legit Stanley Cup contenders.
Leaf fans' predictions about the team are much better than what we hear from other fanbases.

And guess what? The Leafs ARE a cup contender. How are they not? We have the best betting odds of every team and every analyst is calling the Leafs a contender. I find it odd anyone could say the Leafs are not close. 105 pints without Tavares and Matthews/Marner/Nylander 21 and under.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not mentioning the fact the Leafs gave up the 4th most shots against per game and Andersen being a reason that didn't end up hurting them on the GA front when discussing their defense is biased.
So where are the top stats to prove Andersen bailed them out nightly?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
led the league in shots faced...140 more than #2
led the league in saves...120 more than #2
12.06 GSAA

That assumes all shots are equal, they aren't. Generally apart from a blowout isn't a team that's leading also likely to face most shots? I'm not saying the defense doesn't need some work but it wasn't just a goalie bailing them out.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
led the league in shots faced...140 more than #2
led the league in saves...120 more than #2
12.06 GSAA

Most minutes played.
Most games started.

If you play the most games, chances are you'll face a lot of shots.

.918 save %. Very average.
Career backup Mcbackup had better numbers with that same D.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Can you explain to me why a defense that you insist is so good would finished 4th last in shots against per game?
They allowed a lot of shots. What kind were these? Why did the goalie have average numbers? Why was the GA 3rd best in the conference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad