Does Toronto make it out of the 1st round next year?

Will the Leafs make it out of the 1st round?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If they don't make AT LEAST the 3rd round tgey will have failed. personally I think they can win it all but I think most fans are expecting the 3rd round

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Depends on the matchup. Right now, they aren't clearly better than Tampa or the Bruins so it's kind of silly to say anything without watching how those 3 teams play through 82 games this year.

This whole 1st round thing has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on HF in regards to the Leafs.

Players without playoffs in their first two NHL seasons
Sakic, Sundin, Iginla, Ovechkin, Lemieux, Stamkos, Tavares, Lindros, Kariya, Lecavalier

Players without a 2nd round or further in first two NHL seasons
Yzerman, Bergeron, Crosby, Hossa, Selanne, Alfredsson

You know you're desperate to troll about the Leafs when your proof of them being chokers is a bunch of 20 year olds losing to the president trophy winners after taking the dead last team to playoffs.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We also had the fourth most shots against per game, so it just means that Andersen played well. We need to stop pushing this "we had a lower GAA than Tampa" thing.
So then why did the backup post better numbers than Andersen? He's playing in front of the same team

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
will be nice to have home ice for game 7 in rd1 (if it gets to that)

Leafs-Lightning rd 2 should be fun

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Every team had injuries. That’s not a valid excuse.
Bergeron was hurt for the Bruins as well.
Good teams work through that.

When they have the depth yes. I’m not saying Boston wasn’t a better team than the Leafs last year, but Kadri being dumb and getting himself suspended for three games won’t happen again. And if it does, Tavares will be there instead of Bozak, a significant upgrade in terms of quality.

Boston has remained relatively the same, Toronto got much better, and pushed Boston to 7 last year with a suspended Kadri, and injures to our #1C and #1D in game 7 (Boston’s top defensemen were healthy, so no it wasn’t exactly the same).

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
When they have the depth yes. I’m not saying Boston wasn’t a better team than the Leafs last year, but Kadri being dumb and getting himself suspended for three games won’t happen again. And if it does, Tavares will be there instead of Bozak, a significant upgrade in terms of quality.

Boston has remained relatively the same, Toronto got much better, and pushed Boston to 7 last year with a suspended Kadri, and injures to our #1C and #1D in game 7 (Boston’s top defensemen we’re healthy, so no it wasn’t exactly the same).

Excuses and prayers...

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Depends if they face Pittsburgh, Washington or Tampa.

Assuming they play the rest of the field than yes, they make it past the first round.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Boston has remained relatively the same, Toronto got much better, and pushed Boston to 7 last year with a suspended Kadri, and injures to our #1C and #1D in game 7 (Boston’s top defensemen were healthy, so no it wasn’t exactly the same).
You still don't know if the Leafs got better

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
We are winning the cup. People ignoring that our team is young and still getting better.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They're a legitimate cup contender now. If you can't make it out of the first round with Matthews-JT down the middle, there's something seriously wrong and their defense is serviceable enough much like Pittsburgh's most recent championship teams.
While it's easy to simply say the Leafs have JT and Matthews down the middle now so therefore they should get beyond round one doesn't really put things into context. In all likelyhood, just like last year, with the playoff format the way it is now, the Leafs are likely to face Tampa or Boston again in round 1. Tampa is likely the cup favorite now, if they weren't before, and Boston is Boston. All 3 of those teams have the hardest path to the cup final IMO.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
People who don't want to further an agenda, would say on paper they did.
You could also ask this of every team in the League.
They lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov. All guys who contributed to special teams big time. I know Polak wasn't very liked by the Leafs fan base, but you also lost him. Those roles are now going to be filled by Tavares and rookies.

Also, I know people just assume this drastic improvement from guys like Tavares, Marner, Matthews. No one knows how everyone is going to gel together.

All I'm saying is I'd pump the breaks on the expectations. There's going to be a lot of Leafs fans potentially eating crow at seasons end.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
They lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov. All guys who contributed to special teams big time. I know Polak wasn't very liked by the Leafs fan base, but you also lost him. Those roles are now going to be filled by Tavares and rookies.

Also, I know people just assume this drastic improvement from guys like Tavares, Marner, Matthews. No one knows how everyone is going to gel together.

All I'm saying is I'd pump the breaks on the expectations. There's going to be a lot of Leafs fans potentially eating crow at seasons end.

...or you will.
Remember the last time a bunch of rookies filled in...

...and again, ask the Flames if Neal will really help them?
JVR with the Flyers
The Blues new C depth
You could ask many questions of many teams.
Hell...you could ask it of yours too.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
i said no, they lost a lot of experienced depth and those roles need to be filled by rookies with no playoff experience, their d hasn't improved, and their core still hasn't made it out of the first round, but the jt signing could make it interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad