Does Sullivan still have his job?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Reality check: Shero and Bylsma were here for two more seasons after the debacle against the Flyers in 2012.

That team was better than this one.

Mario and Burkle will demand changes, but they'll allow Rutherford and Sullivan a chance to enact those changes after winning two Cups.

Yeah but Sid and G were 25 then...we don’t have two years for them...they need to get some new ideas in there now...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Yeah but Sid and G were 25 then...we don’t have two years for them...they need to get some new ideas in there now...
You can do that and still give Sullivan/Rutherford a chance to work it out.

I think the changes will come with Recchi being reassigned, an outside assistant coach more reminiscent of Tocchet, and multiple trades. I think they'll trade Kessel, and he still has plenty of value despite a streaky season. Someone like Minnesota could see a ton of value in Kessel.

I think Maatta is also gone, and while he was scratched in the playoffs, he's still young and teams in need of D that don't play as fast could see a lot of value in him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You can do that and still give Sullivan/Rutherford a chance to work it out.

I think the changes will come with Recchi being reassigned, an outside assistant coach more reminiscent of Tocchet, and multiple trades. I think they'll trade Kessel, and he still has plenty of value despite a streaky season. Someone like Minnesota could see a ton of value in Kessel.

I think Maatta is also gone, and while he was scratched in the playoffs, he's still young and teams in need of D that don't play as fast could see a lot of value in him.

Yeah, I’m not sure that’s enough...I think they need to move at least two D out...they need to get less stupid, quicker thinking PMD on the backend and two younger, faster skilled wings if the move out Kessel...will be tough to do...hopefully we have another diamond in the rough in WBS like Jake but I’m skeptical...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Cooper just coached the best team in literally decades to a first round sweep at the hands of a Columbus team that made the playoffs on the final day of the season. Babcock, the consensus best coach for many years, played Dan Cleary for years--the Wings' version of Craig Adams. Coach Q, Gallant, etc., they're all flawed in their own way.

Sullivan is a damn good coach who was handed a miserable blueline to execute his fast, aggressive strategy. JR's the big problem.

Reactions: JBose7 and td_ice

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My ranking of staff that annoys me most atm:

1) JR - he crafted this defense.
2) Recchi - useless in my mind/too inexperienced behind a bench
3) Guerin - i just know he's useless
4) Sully - 2 time Cup winner
5) Martin/Gonch - 2 time Cup winner

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Sullivan didn't impress this year but I think it would have been difficult for any coach to take this team far considering how mediocre they were on defense.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
His lineup usage is bizarre. He's been consistently outcoached since the 2018 playoffs. You don't keep a coach because he won two cups. The loyalty needs to be to the organization. Not one person. If Mario feels like a change needs to happen, then they should do it.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Yes.

Change the roster and start from scratch in October. Give him the first 25 and go from there

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, but the team would play better with a different coach. I believe they're tuning him out. Plus, the Pens tend to win cups when they change coaches during the season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sullivan didn't impress this year but I think it would have been difficult for any coach to take this team far considering how mediocre they were on defense.
This team's defensive issues start with the forwards though. They don't defend well as a 5 man unit.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I don’t want to fire Sullivan for the sake of doing that, because, right now there are other coaching changes and other roster moves that should be made first. And because the best options have dwindled fast.

But the reality is if these players have grown spoiled and comfortable, and aren’t onside with the coach anymore, then he may need to go whether or not he deserves it.

We know the well worn history with this club and firing coaches. Well at the current crossroads, Even if a new GM started pressing the right buttons and made some significant moves, I’m not really sure that’s enough on its own to get the players interested again. The window for the stars is very close to closed, and they should have a “now or never” mentality about the next couple of seasons. They already blew 5 of their best years by letting Bylsma do whatever the hell he wanted. That memory, of wasted potential when it was clearly going downhill has got to be fresh

Like everyone has said, give Sullivan the start of the season. Ownership and Rutherford kept Johnston on a tight leash in 2015 and it was the right call. At this point Sullivan has a year of mediocrity and a first round capitulation to his name too. I know how heartless it sounds, but once you adopt a “how many cups have you won for me lately” attitude about the last 12 months, things look eerily similar.

It wouldn’t have been fair at all to Sully, but Iwish they had sounded out Quenville before he was hired. Clearly Tallon knew teams would come for Q and tried to lock him down as soon as possible

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To be an echo, yes but its now metaphorically ticking and he's only 30-odd games to disarm the bomb.

Also, while I believe the question of "Who is there who's a proven guy available" is very valid, I am also open to the theory that his grip on their psyche has loosened to the point where a gamble would be preferable.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I just don't see any better candidates available than Sullivan.

I don't think Sullivan is stupid.. I think he recognizes there are coaching deficiencies and structurally we need to change. I think I'd trust Sullivan to do that more than any of the very mediocre coaches that are on the open market right now.

Been harping on this a lot but bringing in new assistants might be the adjustment that's needed, from a few facets. Maybe instilling some better fundamentals in the forward and D group (things that a head guy like Sullivan just doesn't have the time to handle) but also sending a message to the players that people are going to start getting axed because of *their* performance.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Sully is a good coach, but I think it's time to move on. I do sympathize with him on the defense that JR built, but he had no answers most of the season and definitely not in the playoffs. The roster has flaws, but not enough to go out like they did.

I don't expect him to go anywhere, so I hope they get new assistant coaches and JR can fix the defense....but I don't think JR realizes the defense is a problem.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
JR is a more pressing concern. Fire him soon and let the new GM make the necessary roster changes. Keep Sully on a tight leash, if the same issues arise with the new roster, drop Sully in December.

Unless anybody still trusts JR and I hope Mario doesn't. Bad moves could destroy this franchise for over a decade. Just look at Carolina getting better 5 years post-JR. Pens do not have that time if they want to win with this current core of stars.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
JR is a more pressing concern. Fire him soon and let the new GM make the necessary roster changes. Keep Sully on a tight leash, if the same issues arise with the new roster, drop Sully in December.

Unless anybody still trusts JR and I hope Mario doesn't. Bad moves could destroy this franchise for over a decade. Just look at Carolina getting better 5 years post-JR. Pens do not have that time if they want to win with this current core of stars.

And the Penguins won 2 Cups in that same time frame.

Oh wait I forgot, hoarding prospects > winning Cups on HFBoards. :shakehead

Reactions: CoyoteSkyDiver

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
And the Penguins won 2 Cups in that same time frame.

Oh wait I forgot, hoarding prospects > winning Cups on HFBoards. :shakehead
I don't agree with that reasoning, but JR is a concern. The JMFJ signing was terrible. Then he doubled down on it with his comments to the media. Then he tripled down on it by trading for Gudbranson. He's taking the defense in the wrong direction.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Will he? Most likely. Unless Sid has turned on him . . . most likely.

Should he? No. Coaches are hired to be fired, and the expiration date should come when he refuses to adjust to the team he has and the opponent he's facing and instead would rather lose his way.

Totally agree, thing is the post game interview with Sullivan was pretty telling. (paraphrasing) but he was asked a question where the reporter asked about how they started the game chipping the puck behind and that worked well, but asked him if he knew how or why they got away from that game plan as the game progressed. Sullivan's answer was basically one of yea I know why and a bemused sort of look on his face.
Totally looked (to me anyway) like yea I kept telling the guys to do one thing and they kept doing another.

Fenrir009

May 2, 2018
I think Sullivan should be on a shorter leash next season but not fired. That said, I think a change in one of the assistant coaches would be warranted. I'd bring Rick Tocchet back in place of Recchi in a heart beat if it was possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad