Does Sullivan still have his job?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Considering he is reaching his mid 30s, a decline in production is going to be inevitable. All the injuries don't help much either.

This team thinks they don't need to play defense. Forwards think they can get away with blind passes and be out of position.

Because of their talent, they could get away with it. This season has shown they no longer can. I'm talking about a season they nearly missed the playoffs and were out of contention at points.

Unless this postseason is an aberration, it seems like the superstar era is over. I would prefer a move away from that and have stars like the Bruins who play solid defense and can still score.

This team can play defense but choose not to. The Bylsma 2011 team was fully committed when Crosby and Geno were injured.

As for the PP, it's god awful. Players aren't moving and they pass the puck for over a minute instead of taking advantage of the increased space, finding the right guy to shoot. Just like their defense, this team makes everything more complicated then it needs to be.
I missed the rest of your post, are you talking about Sidney Crosby?

Reactions: Andy99

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
I missed the rest of your post, are you talking about Sidney Crosby?

This is a business and Crosby is the face of it. Fair or not, Malkin isn't. Not unlike how Mario took a back seat to 99 despite arguably being the better player and certainly being the more flashy one.

In an ideal world I'd trade either 87 or 71 if it made the team significantly better.

However, the team's future is at stake if there isn't a major trade to shore up the offense, defense and PP along with some good draft picks. Trade 71 and 58, build on the trade with younger players and those much needed picks for the future.

I'm a Pens fan and not a fanboy of anyone except 66. Hey, 66 was more talented than both of those combined.

Reactions: Phil68

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You're wrong, but I'll bite; How do you adjust? What would you have been satisfied with Sully doing? You keep thumping this "adjust to your blueline" stuff, so what's the deal?

For one, make sure the forwards support much deeper in the defensive zone so the blueliners only have to make 10 foot passes instead of 30 foot passes when the forwards are blowing the zone as soon as the defense gets the puck.

For another, make sure the other 4 players on the ice give the 1 defender with the puck actual outlet options and not expect him to make a pinpoint 30 foot pass through 3 forecheckers. Too often, when one of the defenders had the puck, no one was trying to get open. They'd just skate to an area and hope the defenseman was able to hit them with a pass, regardless of how many opposing players were in the way.

Don't get me wrong. I'm one of the loudest voices when it comes to the "improve the damn defense" crowd, but the Pens' performance versus the Islanders was due to more than only the defense's inability to move the puck. Effort, better support by the forwards, etc. played a huge role as well.

Reactions: HMPens

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Lol. Isles get swept by Canes. Canes get swept by Bruins. What a complete failure by Sullivan.
f*** that f***er already, there's too much loyalty going on in this club, i mean, loyalty ain't bad but at some point you've got to move things before it's too late and a coach life is what it is for sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad