Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
1. Leddy for Nylander
2. Sign Panarin
3. Trade 1st, bellows, + for Hoffman
4. Resign Lee and Lehner
5. Resign Flip or Nelson - cap depending

Lee-Barzal-Panarin
Bailey-Nylander-Hoffman
Ladd-Nelson-Beau
Komarov-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Martin

Pulock-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield
Aho-Pelech
Hickey

Lehner
Greiss

:allears:

That’s an awfully soft top 6.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Most of us agree that Plan A is Panarin

If that is successful, then suring up at C is imperative - can do Nelson/Hayes and Filppula (I don't see another alternative outside of Filppula)

Re up Lehner and that would be a successful offseason. Ho-Sang and Dal Colle become 13th and 14th F's because they are no longer waiver exempt.

The club could explore a bigger facelift by trading Leddy for a player like Nylander or Nugent-Hopkins and Ladd for an equally bad contract like Alzner.

I also wouldn't be against signing Panarin and bob and letting Lehner walk.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You guys are dreaming if you think we are getting panarin. Id say the odds are 10/90.

Sadly I agree. We've NEVER landed a top FA so we have to count on NOT landing one now.

Yeah - I understand that we've never had Lou/Trotz before, but having them last summer didn't land Tavares and he already played here for 9 years.

Until a FA actually SIGNS here, assume they aren't and make plans accordingly. Had we done that with Tavares we'd have a handful more top assets to accelerate this rebuild.

So let's focus on resigning Lee/Nelson, try for Panarin, but have plans B-Z assuming he signs somewhere else.

Reactions: SteveH124

Palfmeister

Oct 2, 2011
Sadly I agree. We've NEVER landed a top FA so we have to count on NOT landing one now.

Yeah - I understand that we've never had Lou/Trotz before, but having them last summer didn't land Tavares and he already played here for 9 years.

Until a FA actually SIGNS here, assume they aren't and make plans accordingly. Had we done that with Tavares we'd have a handful more top assets to accelerate this rebuild.

So let's focus on resigning Lee/Nelson, try for Panarin, but have plans B-Z assuming he signs somewhere else.

Yup.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007

I still believe LL didn't really want to sign JT. Just a gut thing.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I can picture it now. Lamoriello and Trotz tell Tavares they’re putting together a team that’s going to work hard, no one is above the team, everyone is accountable and treated the same. Then Toronto comes in and says, “come home, you can do whatever you want, and if anyone is mean to you, we’ll have Tavares day and safe spaces” Sold!

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I can picture it now. Lamoriello and Trotz tell Tavares they’re putting together a team that’s going to work hard, no one is above the team and everyone is accountable and tested the same. Then Toronto comes in and says, “come home, you can do whatever you want, and if anyone is mean to you, we’ll have Tavares day and safe spaces” Sold!
lol!

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I can picture it now. Lamoriello and Trotz tell Tavares they’re putting together a team that’s going to work hard, no one is above the team and everyone is accountable and tested the same. Then Toronto comes in and says, “come home, you can do whatever you want, and if anyone is mean to you, we’ll have Tavares day and safe spaces” Sold!

I’m leaning more towards your “hot taek,” actually.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I might be in the minority here, I don't want Bob in goal for us. I would rather have Lehner who appreciates the fans, embraces the team and community here. I think Lehner realizes his potential here. I am not saying Bob wouldn't either but this tandem is pretty solid right now.

Panarin is a long shot, I am not getting my hopes up. MDC should be playing next year as long as he continues to show he can stick here. Either way we need a winger who can score to play with Barzal.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Ha. That's a theory. We're now in a position where we need to sign Brock Nelson so our center position doesn't go to total **** next season, yet a top 5 franchise center should be let go for what exact reason now?

If your theory is true I hope Lou writes the fans an open letter telling them to take it easy on Tavares as he really wanted to come back, but he's the reason JT went to Toronto.

Reactions: Instant

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if there really is anything to the Bob/Panarin package deal thing that seems to be the thought with FLA?

If there is, then the question is do you sign Bob if it means you also get Panarin?

I think the thought then would be next year it's Bob and Greiss (last year of his contract), and then after that it's Bob/Sorokin.

BTW, my hunch is that they don't care that much to go as a package and they'll each make their best deal.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I wonder if there really is anything to the Bob/Panarin package deal thing that seems to be the thought with FLA?

If there is, then the question is do you sign Bob if it means you also get Panarin?

I think the thought then would be next year it's Bob and Greiss (last year of his contract), and then after that it's Bob/Sorokin.

BTW, my hunch is that they don't care that much to go as a package and they'll each make their best deal.

No, no, no, no, and no again.

Look at how well our goalies are playing. Lehner is talented, but Griess is having his best seasons ever. Statistically, we have the best pair of goalies in the league right now. You think they're really that good or might it have to do with Trotz/Korn? I'm 100% on the latter option.

Therefore to pay 7+ million/year to a headcase goalie no matter how talented he is is a waste of cap space when you have coaching that can both maximize a golaie's talent and the system will also make him look better. Unless you have a generational goalie like Brodeur or Roy, save the cap space to fix this putrid offense and improve the D.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
One benefit to trading Leddy is that it finally forces the issue of Toews or Pulock becoming PP1

Reactions: Barzy96

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I might be in the minority here, I don't want Bob in goal for us. I would rather have Lehner who appreciates the fans, embraces the team and community here. I think Lehner realizes his potential here. I am not saying Bob wouldn't either but this tandem is pretty solid right now.

Panarin is a long shot, I am not getting my hopes up. MDC should be playing next year as long as he continues to show he can stick here. Either way we need a winger who can score to play with Barzal.

I dont think youre in the minority . I dont want bob either. I hate wasting big cap space on goaltending. Lehner/greiss is fine for me next year.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Edmonton wouldn’t.

It would probably be Leddy, the 1st, Beau and Wilde at a minimum and I don't think they say yes to that either. A 23-year old center with 41G/41A and a + on that crappy team won't come cheap. The guy's got 5G/4A in just his last 5 games.

Would love having him but the cost is enormous.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You can do Leddy (3 years/16.5) for RNH (2 years/12) - straight up, then after Ladd's bonus is paid up swap Ladd for Alzner.

Better Line up?
Top 6
Panarin - Barzal - Beauvillier
Lee - RNH - Bailey
Blueline
Toews - Pulock
Hickey - Boychuk
Pelech - Mayfield
Alzner

OR

Top 6
Panarin - Barzal - Beauvillier