Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I remember Lawton saying the isles were going to be the busiest team at the deadline. He’s not really reliable.
In fairness, I’m sure they were very busy, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that things have to come together

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
In fairness, I’m sure they were very busy, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that things have to come together

Absolutely fair. I believe they were actually. It was reported that offeres were made on Duchene and Stone. Lou just didn’t like the prices.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I feel like I've seen this movie before...as recently as last month lol

I think the difference is that Lou knows what he’s doing and actually has a track record of getting things done. The draft/summer is where the majority of action goes down in this league.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Edmonton’s more likely to move Nugent-Hopkins than Draisaitl I think.

Think something around Leddy and RNH, although i think they’re better off holding onto him. He’s legit.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This Tweet below is why while I'd let Nelson go in a second, but you either have to resign him or find a center at least as good. To let him go and not replace him will kill next season.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
How bad is Jake Gardiner really, or is that just Leafs fans blaming him for their lack of success? Just wondering if he would be worth pursing as a UFA, thereby freeing up Leddy for a trade. I haven't really focused on him in the TO games, and if he's bad defensively he's just one of many, right?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This Tweet below is why while I'd let Nelson go in a second, but you either have to resign him or find a center at least as good. To let him go and not replace him will kill next season.

Would be a dick thing to do but I’d re-sign him and then try to move him in August if we were able to get a better #2 center. If not then keep.

Or, if his contract is decent keep him for depth. He good for 20 goals and at least proved this year he can handle playing center.

Reactions: periferal

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Nelson is pretty versatile and a shoe in for 20 goals though. He’s the type of UFA I think you keep if the price isn’t astronomical.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
How bad is Jake Gardiner really, or is that just Leafs fans blaming him for their lack of success? Just wondering if he would be worth pursing as a UFA, thereby freeing up Leddy for a trade. I haven't really focused on him in the TO games, and if he's bad defensively he's just one of many, right?

DEFINITELY worth pursuing. Imagine Leddy without THOSE wheels, but with more inate playmaking sense and the steady ability to get 45+ points per season.

But with similar weaknesses as Leddy has in his overall defending.

Then again, they can be lived with, right?

I do think Gardiner would help make something else out of our PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Nelson is pretty versatile and a shoe in for 20 goals though. He’s the type of UFA I think you keep if the price isn’t astronomical.

The more this season continues on, the more I'm thinking I'd like to see him remain an Islander.

The question is, would resigning him prevent us from UPGRADING the center position?

I'm not sure it would. If you have Barzal, Nelson, and a guy like Hayes up the middle, why not go that route?

Gonna be very interesting to see what Lou does this summer.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I do think Gardiner would help make something else out of our PP.
That was one of the things I was thinking of as a positive. The others are that (of course) playing for Trotz and in his system should help, and I also think of Justin Schultz and how he was abused by EDM fans (except when they were offering him in trade proposals) and then how he's done pretty well in PIT.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The more this season continues on, the more I'm thinking I'd like to see him remain an Islander.

The question is, would resigning him prevent us from UPGRADING the center position?

I'm not sure it would. If you have Barzal, Nelson, and a guy like Hayes up the middle, why not go that route?

Gonna be very interesting to see what Lou does this summer.

I think you need to add to Barzal and Nelson, not just upgrade Nelson.

Barzal/Nelson/Hayes or Duchene would be really solid.

Maybe they re-sign Filppula to be a depth forward since he can play center or wing and both special teams. Johnston stays around for heavier “assignments”. All I know is that this team needs to improve center depth. When one center misses time (Cizikas), it throws off all four lines.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think you need to add to Barzal and Nelson, not just upgrade Nelson.

Barzal/Nelson/Hayes or Duchene would be really solid.

Maybe they re-sign Filppula to be a depth forward since he can play center or wing and both special teams. Johnston stays around for heavier “assignments”. All I know is that this team needs to improve center depth. When one center misses time (Cizikas), it throws off all four lines.

I fully expect Lou to tackle the scoring inefficiency on the wings. I almost EXPECT Panarin to sign with us this summer.

In my post above, I'm referring solely to the center position.

What I don't see is retaining Nelson AND adding Duchene.

What I'm referring to however is ponying up to retain Nelson and then adding an i.e. Hayes instead of resigning Filppula.

Improvements to the wings will have to be made as well. There's not getting around that.

In fact, when you look at what this team has done this season and how, all you have to do is add the type of top 6 forwards who are constant PP threats AND ensure that a game like the one against Detroit never goes lost - because they can bring the necessary magic through pure skill.

SIDENOTE:
What Hoffman does on the PP is just amazing!

If feels like he's scoring a one-timer PP goal from that right face-off circle every second game. Just sick!

Reactions: SI and seafoam

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is my ideal scenario. I honestly feel with the combination of young defenseman developing and Trotz system that Leddy is expendable. He hasn’t produced offensively like he was billed to do and he’s not great defensively.

I don’t think EDM does that trade but you never know. Even if we had to add. I’d do it.

As far as WPG the only guy I can think of is Little but he doesn’t do it for me.

2 years of RNH or 3 years of Leddy-

I think Edmonton does that deal- not sure if Lou does - he might prefer just signing Hayes

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I fully expect Lou to tackle the scoring inefficiency on the wings. I almost EXPECT Panarin to sign with us this summer.

In my post above, I'm referring solely to the center position.

What I don't see is retaining Nelson AND adding Duchene.

What I'm referring to however is ponying up to retain Nelson and then adding an i.e. Hayes instead of resigning Filppula.

Improvements to the wings will have to be made as well. There's not getting around that.

In fact, when you look at what this team has done this season and how, all you have to do is add the type of top 6 forwards who are constant PP threats AND ensure that a game like the one against Detroit never goes lost - because they can bring the necessary magic through pure skill.

SIDENOTE:
What Hoffman does on the PP is just amazing!

If feels like he's scoring a one-timer PP goal from that right face-off circle every second game. Just sick!

I am intrigued by the idea of adding both Nelson and Hayes, landing Panarin too (or acquiring Hoffman as a plan B if they don't) how do you line them up? How are roles defined, since Hayes and Nelson seem similar? Which one takes on some of the more defensive assignments that Filppula takes on?
Top 9-
Panarin - Barzal - Beau
Lee - Nelson - Ho-Sang or Dal Colle
Komarov - Hayes - Bailey

When I line it up - I'm not convinced it is the best move to sign both.

I like the idea of signing Hayes over Nelson and then resigning Filppula to a one year deal to give the team flexibility down the road.

Panarin and Hayes
Replace
Eberle and Nelson In the top 6

I would prefer Dal Colle and Ho-Sang (if not traded for futures) to replace Kuhnackl and ladd

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I am intrigued by the idea of adding both Nelson and Hayes, landing Panarin too (or acquiring Hoffman as a plan B if they don't) how do you line them up? How are roles defined, since Hayes and Nelson seem similar? Which one takes on some of the more defensive assignments that Filppula takes on?
Top 9-
Panarin - Barzal - Beau
Lee - Nelson - Ho-Sang or Dal Colle
Komarov - Hayes - Bailey

Panarin and Barzal should not play together, they are very similar players, albeit the different positions. Both drive the play.

The better pairings would be

Lee - Barzal - Nelson
Panarin - Hayes - Bailey
Komarov - Beau - Ho-Sang/Dal Colle

That Top 6 checks off all the boxes . . . maybe even swap Beau and Bailey and have Bailey center the 3rd line

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Panarin and Barzal should not play together, they are very similar players, albeit the different positions. Both drive the play.

The better pairings would be

Lee - Barzal - Nelson
Panarin - Hayes - Bailey
Komarov - Beau - Ho-Sang/Dal Colle

That Top 6 checks off all the boxes . . . maybe even swap Beau and Bailey and have Bailey center the 3rd line

Need more speed to play with Maty.
You might be right about breaking them up, maybe flip Bailey and Nelson - OR not sign Nelson and see Leddy lands you a top 6 to play with Maty

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I wouldn't be so quick to trade Leddy without an adequate replacement. I don't want Hickey full time. I prefer him as a 7th D. I also don't think another young D from Bridge is a good idea for next season. I think we need another season to make sure Pelech, Toews, etc are not going to regress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->