Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Now that we are all post-TDL disappointment and pre-JT Jeer Night thought it would be fun to speculate what standing pat might mean in the strategic sense:

My thoughts

Have to think the team is happy with the goaltending and much of the defense, if you add in what we have in the system

Also have to think the 4th line is good for now and that the 3rd line could use a little change

But I also think the Top 6 needs a major overhaul and that was the big lesson of the TDL activity and that not doing anything was purposeful if a ridiculous piece did not fall into their laps cheaply. In my opinion the only piece that was worthy of a big offer was Duchene since it would have solved the 1C/2C issue, IF HE EXTENDED. Not sure if Ottawa allowed LL to discuss that with his agent or not, but none of the others, with the exception of Stone, would have moved the needle and would we have met the price Las Vegas paid?

I honestly think it is possible that the only two Top 6 players who are CERTAINLY on LL's want list are Barzal and Lee. All the others are fine players but with the exception of Beau it's fair to say we've seen their best at the NHL level and the next step is to find that elite player to drive another line. Then we have to be patient as the missing pieces are brought in.

That's pretty much what LL and BT have been saying when they mention 1-2 years away and we might as well take their word for it.

If Duchene gets to FA I have to believe that is still their #1 target. Given where we are likely drafting we could probably throw out the feelings we all had preseason about a high draft pick solving our 2C hole.

A foundation of Barzal and Duchene with Lee is a good start and Wahlstrom might well be ready in 2020-21. Bellows looks like a third liner to me and it's possible our future 3rd line might well be Koivula centering Bellows and Beau. Filppula for one year only I can see for the transition.

I still think our best trade pieces in the offseason will be Leddy and Bailey and that's where we look to trade. I don't see Eberle coming back at all. One thing about this season is that he showed he does not have an optimal fit in this system. Nelson is the big question mark and it's possible he is signed but as a wing with Duchene, not a center. I also see Ho-Sang dealt too, just don't see him fitting in here. If the Oilers want to do Pul for him run to the podium.

Drafting low will likely mean BPA this year and hopefully a sniper type but I also think that pick is likely to be dealt at the Draft. Florida seems like a good partner. They really need a LD 1st/2nd pair like Leddy and they have scoring wingers. And if they sign Panarin/Bob they are going to have to move one of them. Huberdeau is too much to hope for at his bargain salary but Davydov or Hoffman would be fine additions to us.

No reason to not think Leddy and our 1st for Hoffman and Pysyk for example would not be a good fit for both teams.

Bailey is the type of player a team that tries to make a run this year and falls short could be very valuable to. Let's say Winnipeg falls early. Would they try to shake things up a little and offer a young scoring piece for him? Or maybe Boston goes out early and is willing to swap DeBrusk for him? Those types of hockey trades where a two-way player is swapped for more of a goal scorer.

It's more reshaping the Top 6 to fit the need to be faithful to the BT system while also balancing out the team better.

Hoffman - Barzal - DeBrusk
Lee - Duchene - Beau/Nelson for now (Wahlstrom down the line)
Komarov - Filp - Ladd for now (Bellows and Koivula in 2020-21)
As is on the 4th for now.

Toews-Pulock (I think this is the goal for next year even if Leddy is still here)
Aho-Boychuck
Pelech-Mayfield

Dobson in 2020-21 with Mayfield/Boychuck rotating. Wilde either as a big trade piece or 2021-2022. It would be a good idea to see if he could play LD in Bridgeport, that would be optimal for us.

Lehner re-signs for 3 years
Greiss
Sorokin in 2020-21

My two cents for now.

Reactions: MartyC

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I will lose faith in Lamoirello if the roster is not significantly upgraded this summer. You can’t do nothing at the deadline and then follow up it with a worse summer.

Yup, next most important day for this franchise is draft day, it is his duty to upgrade the top-6 prior to Free Agency, to go into 7/1 with no one signed and no new additions will put the team behind the 8 ball.

The 1st + every prospect not named Dobson or Sorokin needs to be in play, I'd like to keep Wahlstrom, but if he can yield us a legit player with term it needs to be explored. This impotent offense is not being taken seriously, by fans or opposing teams.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Realistically, we can hope for 1 marquee FA - at most. That pretty much means one of Panarin or Duchene. Maybe Kevin Hayes, Dzingel or Nyquist too but that's a long fall from the first two.

I think its a given that Eberle is not re-signed prior to July 1 but hopefully Nelson and Lee (and Lehner) are. As far as our top 6 go, if we can land Panarin, he could slot on wing with Nelson and sign a Filppula (the actual guy or someone similar at #3C). If its Duchene, we drop Nelson to #3C and slot the current wingers around those guys. Either of those options are fine with me. Nelson, of course, could also get time as a top 6 wing if that fits better.

Either way, this team is really one play maker from being that much more dangerous. Of course, we are also one loss away from being a swiss cheese roster.

The team REALLY needs to give Panarin (or Duchene) a blank check on July 1st. If he wants over $10m, so be it. We don't have the luxury of being frugal at this point.

Option #1:

Lee - Barz - Bailey
Beau - Nelson - Panarin
Ladd - Filp - Komarov
4th line
(LWs are interchangeable among lines)

Option #2

Ladd - Barz - Bailey
Lee - Duchene - Beau/Nelson
LW (MDC?) - Nelson/FA - Komarov
4th Line

And if the young guys like MDC/Bellows/JHS/ Wall-e want to force their way onto the roster, even better.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
There needs to be significant upgrades this summer, plain and simple. They need to find a way and do their due diligence on winning free agents over. I have no doubts Lou is gonna go all out and try but they gotta convince these free agents. We need help. We’re not too far away and we have the available cap to improve the team a lot. It needs to be done. If it isn’t, we should all pretty much feel hopeless as Islander fans.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Maybe a pkg of HoSang, Sorokin and our 1st,to move up,I feel sorokin is a ghost,let's exorcise him for real,tangible value

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Don't think it is massive, at all, but deifnitely significant.

I think Lou definitely tried to re-sign Lehner and Lee and will try likley re-sign one ofe Eberle and Nelson. Depending on hwo that goes will affect Lou's approach to UFA.

If you keep Nelson, Isles will prob make someone liek Panarin their primary target wheras if they keep Eberle and lose Nelson, someone liek Duchene becomes a huge target. In my opinion, let Eberle walk and try to re-sign Brock to continue playing C on the 2nd/3rd line.

If Panarin or Duchene, the big fish, were to not happen whether they choose elsewhere or we don't even get too involved, there is a solid UFA crop that is enticing to add to our top 9.

Pavelski, Skinner, Nyquist, Zucc, Hayes, Dzingel, Ferland, Connolly, DOnskoi, Mojo, Brassard, Simmonds, etc.

With that, I think Isles may be wiser to try and address a forward upgrade via trade.

Who knows what will happen, but I do expect a lot of activity this offseason. Lou said we're 1-2 years away, so Isles will not just go into next season with the same roster. It''s be what we have now minus a little dead weight, minus a UFA or 2 and plus a UFA or 2, and possibly 1-2 prospects who make the leap.

Really hard to look this far out. Isles are in a rare position J) where we are having a surprise great season yet we have an old roster and a lot of bottom 6 type guys with multiple years left on their deals and, a good amount of high quality UFA's, but have a strong, young defensive core with a ton of NHL ready or near NHL ready depth in the minors and likely when you consider guys like Bellows, MDC, Ho-Sang, etc, too many forwards to realistically add anyone After the word vomit above and lack of a clear thought, I'd put these as the most important things I want to see this offseason/

1. Re-sign Lee, Lehner, and Nelson
2. TOP 6 WINGER. This an absolute essential. Regardless of who is on Barzal's line, you cannot go into next seaosn expecting one of our prospects or Beauvillier or Ladd to be a fixture in the top 6. I am more than content with Nelson as a 2C if you upgrade the wing spot int he top 6.
3. Replace Filppula. He's had a solid year, but given his trajectory, age, his last couple seasons, you gotta get someone for the 3C who can provide more. Defensive minded, can chip in 15-25-40, hopefully win 53/54% of faceoffs.
4. Do everything you can to try and get out of Ladd's contract even if it means a bad contract for bad contract swap.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'd like to see Leddy traded if we can get good value for him. He's replaceable on the blue line going forward since we have good young defensemen in the system, but I'm not wanting to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Don't think it is massive, at all, but deifnitely significant.

I think Lou definitely tried to re-sign Lehner and Lee and will try likley re-sign one ofe Eberle and Nelson. Depending on hwo that goes will affect Lou's approach to UFA.

If you keep Nelson, Isles will prob make someone liek Panarin their primary target wheras if they keep Eberle and lose Nelson, someone liek Duchene becomes a huge target. In my opinion, let Eberle walk and try to re-sign Brock to continue playing C on the 2nd/3rd line.

If Panarin or Duchene, the big fish, were to not happen whether they choose elsewhere or we don't even get too involved, there is a solid UFA crop that is enticing to add to our top 9.

Pavelski, Skinner, Nyquist, Zucc, Hayes, Dzingel, Ferland, Connolly, DOnskoi, Mojo, Brassard, Simmonds, etc.

With that, I think Isles may be wiser to try and address a forward upgrade via trade.

Who knows what will happen, but I do expect a lot of activity this offseason. Lou said we're 1-2 years away, so Isles will not just go into next season with the same roster. It''s be what we have now minus a little dead weight, minus a UFA or 2 and plus a UFA or 2, and possibly 1-2 prospects who make the leap.

Really hard to look this far out. Isles are in a rare position J) where we are having a surprise great season yet we have an old roster and a lot of bottom 6 type guys with multiple years left on their deals and, a good amount of high quality UFA's, but have a strong, young defensive core with a ton of NHL ready or near NHL ready depth in the minors and likely when you consider guys like Bellows, MDC, Ho-Sang, etc, too many forwards to realistically add anyone After the word vomit above and lack of a clear thought, I'd put these as the most important things I want to see this offseason/

1. Re-sign Lee, Lehner, and Nelson
2. TOP 6 WINGER. This an absolute essential. Regardless of who is on Barzal's line, you cannot go into next seaosn expecting one of our prospects or Beauvillier or Ladd to be a fixture in the top 6. I am more than content with Nelson as a 2C if you upgrade the wing spot int he top 6.
3. Replace Filppula. He's had a solid year, but given his trajectory, age, his last couple seasons, you gotta get someone for the 3C who can provide more. Defensive minded, can chip in 15-25-40, hopefully win 53/54% of faceoffs.
4. Do everything you can to try and get out of Ladd's contract even if it means a bad contract for bad contract swap.

Easier said then done, quality 3C's don't grow on trees, i'm all for signing Filps to a one year deal. You put together criteria, but there is no UFA C that fits it ....

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I will lose faith in Lamoirello if the roster is not significantly upgraded this summer. You can’t do nothing at the deadline and then follow up it with a worse summer.
So much this. Last night they sure looked like they could have used someone who knows how to put the biscuit in the net or run a PP. I mean Smiths starts are brutal and we could only beat him 3 combined times in 2 games?

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
We never bring in big name free agents EVER. Neither Duchene or Panarin will be on this team next year.

Reactions: bigtim1988

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We never bring in big name free agents EVER. Neither Duchene or Panarin will be on this team next year.

Based on what we know about Matt Duchene as a person, I think chances are slim to none.

Based on what we know about Panarin, I'd say we stand a chance. He could be like Stone and have his heart set on a certain locale, in which, we have no chance whatsoever. However, him wanting to be in a Metro Area, the cap space we have, Lou's ability to work with Russians and the proximity to a Russian Community in NYC seem like real factors, also having Barzal/Trotz around can't hurt.

I think the Panthers and Rangers are atop his list. Don't know the Kings situation cap wise, but I could see him playing there as well.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
There is no way anyone can argue with this because it is accurate. To just " hope " that we will sign big names because we have money is just a pipe dream until it actually happens. It is just like Hoping that JT would stay and that Lou would upgrade at the trade deadline and you can add Lee staying to this list = until any of these things happens there is zero to base it on except wishful thinking.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Lou has a plan but it was a bit altered by the surprising success the team has had. Lou has said this multiple times and gives all the credit to the coaching staff and players for what there record is.I believe if the islanders were battling for a wild card spot Nelson and Eberle would have been moved. Lou probably went after some of the big rental players but was not willing to sacrifice his top prospects to get this player which i don’t blame him for. Lou job got more difficult this offseason for sure. Lots of tough decisions to be made.

Reactions: Newsworthy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I have an odd feeling there will be a lot of changes. Some we like and some we don’t like.

I wouldn’t be shocked in the least if Lee wasn’t back next year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'd like to see Leddy traded if we can get good value for him. He's replaceable on the blue line going forward since we have good young defensemen in the system, but I'm not wanting to trade him for pennies on the dollar.
Until Aho comes up, wins a job in camp and looks good for an extended period, I’m not trading Nick Leddy.

Reactions: NittanyIsle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad