Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Most of us agree that Plan A is Panarin

Personally I would rather sign Duchene, all that being said I do think the odds of signing Panarin are much higher so you can't put all your eggs in 1 basket

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Personally I would rather sign Duchene, all that being said I do think the odds of signing Panarin are much higher so you can put all your eggs in 1 basket

What if Lee, Nelson, and Eberle all walk and Lou signs Panarin AND Duchene on July 1st? With the pre-July 1st tampering period after the draft, Lou is certainly capable of orchestrating something like that. Not saying it's a likely scenario, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The defense and goaltending are set with Trotz and Korn overseeing things, assuming Lehner is re-signed and Sorokin in the wings. The bottom-6 foot soldiers are in place for next season and also a year less on their contracts (not an insignificant factor), Dal Colle and Ho-Sang being possible factors and NHL ready. Koivula and maybe Bellows become factory the NHL level. Aho gets his chance.

Suddenly this Isles are set up beautifully for a legit Cup window for a little while. The salary cap situation would be manageable as veteran contracts are systematically replaced by youngsters and their ELC's or 2nd contracts.

That's my dream. Would be nice.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
How do you plan on getting a top 5 pick?

I did not realize he was a 100 pt. player this year. I thought he was still a 65 to 70 pt. player...
No way we get him without a top pick in the 1st round being offered too.....
Pipe dream

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What if Lee, Nelson, and Eberle all walk and Lou signs Panarin AND Duchene on July 1st? With the pre-July 1st tampering period after the draft, Lou is certainly capable of orchestrating something like that. Not saying it's a likely scenario, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The defense and goaltending are set with Trotz and Korn overseeing things, assuming Lehner is re-signed and Sorokin in the wings. The bottom-6 foot soldiers are in place for next season and also a year less on their contracts (not an insignificant factor), Dal Colle and Ho-Sang being possible factors and NHL ready. Koivula and maybe Bellows become factory the NHL level. Aho gets his chance.

Suddenly this Isles are set up beautifully for a legit Cup window for a little while. The salary cap situation would be manageable as veteran contracts are systematically replaced by youngsters and their ELC's or 2nd contracts.

That's my dream. Would be nice.

My worry is that they let Nelson walk and then strike out on everyone. In a perfect world they resign Lee and then sign Duchene to replace Nelson and then sign Panarin to replace Eberle.

A more realistic possibility without getting one of the big names is trading for Hoffman and signing Hayes in my opinion. Unless they are gunning for Karlsson, I see no reason to not trade for Hoffman.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
My worry is that they let Nelson walk and then strike out on everyone. In a perfect world they resign Lee and then sign Duchene to replace Nelson and then sign Panarin to replace Eberle.

A more realistic possibility without getting one of the big names is trading for Hoffman and signing Hayes in my opinion. Unless they are gunning for Karlsson, I see no reason to not trade for Hoffman.
I really dont see the need for Karlsson...or rather, i'd like to see us work on the FWD group, I like our D corps

Reactions: PWJunior

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I really dont see the need for Karlsson...or rather, i'd like to see us work on the FWD group, I like our D corps

I do not see a need for him either, but in some alternate universe where he wants to be an Islander I think you jump all over that.

Part of the reason why I think they did not try to get Hoffman at the deadline is because of that slim chance Karlsson offered us a meeting.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

This is kind of my line of thinking as well. And with the belief that they'll ultimately keep Lee.

Now imagine Lou could ALSO add Panarin. Even if Hayes would be a Nelson wash (and I swear the guy has a playmaking passing game that Nelson does not), these upgrades would put this team in a totally different sphere of success and likely radically change the success of our PP.

What I don't know is why Florida would want to move Hoffman?

Are they having or expecting cap issues?

Is the thought of moving him solely in conjunction with freeing up space to sign both Bobrovsky and Panarin??? Is that the ONLY reason his name is being bandied about?

As for Hoffman himself, he does have a modified NTC, costs 5.2 million, and has just one more year on his contract.

I can actually see something like Beau, Wotherspoon, and a 2nd for Hoffman and a 4th being in the realm of possibility (yes, despite wearing NHL-colored glasses).

Sure, some here will suspect that he'll cost more, but I doubt many teams he's willing to go to are giving up a Grade A young player (like Beau) and a 1st for 1 year of Hoffman.

But I do think he'd "Ok" a move to the NYI in light of this year's success and the management/coaching staff.

In any case, the injection of Panarin's creativity, Hoffman's PP stealth and one-timers, and Hayes' bulky play-making would have to catapult our boys to a new level. We'd basically be trading the 130 points we're getting from Nelson, Eberle, and Beau for the 200 points these newbies would be adding.

DEFENSE:
There are surely ways in which Lou could upgrade this blueline.

And I continue to believe we'll see Leddy moved this summer.

But even if Lou wouldn't do a thing with the blueline, while looking at Aho and perhaps even Dobson as incremental possibilities for next season (i.e. not retaining Sbisa and Seidenberg types), we've got a very cost-affordable defensive group, and we're seeing that it can get the job done, despite continuing to invest in the growing pains involved with Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews.

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I did not realize he was a 100 pt. player this year. I thought he was still a 65 to 70 pt. player...
No way we get him without a top pick in the 1st round being offered too.....
Pipe dream

Dude, please don't. I started thinking about it and now I want him :laugh:
But like, there's no way Edmonton will look into trading him... right?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This is kind of my line of thinking as well. And with the belief that they'll ultimately keep Lee.

Now imagine Lou could ALSO add Panarin. Even if Hayes would be a Nelson wash (and I swear the guy has a playmaking passing game that Nelson does not), these upgrades would put this team in a totally different sphere of success and likely radically change the success of our PP.

What I don't know is why Florida would want to move Hoffman?

Are they having or expecting cap issues?

Is the thought of moving him in conjunction with signing both Bobrovsky and Panarin??? Is that the ONLY reason his name is being bandied about?

As for Hoffman himself, he does have a modified NTC, costs 5.2 million, and has just one more year on his contract.

I can actually see something like Beau, Wotherspoon, and a 2nd for Hoffman and a 4th being in the realm of possibility (yes, despite wearing NHL-colored glasses).

Sure, some here will suspect that he'll cost more, but I doubt many teams he's willing to go to are giving up a Grade A young player (like Beau) and a 1st for 1 year of Hoffman.

But I do think he'd "Ok" a move to the NYI in light of this year's success and the management/coaching staff.

In any case, the injection of Panarin's creativity, Hoffman's PP stealth and one-timers, and Hayes' bulky play-making would have to catapult our boys to a new level. We'd basically be trading the 115 points we're getting from Nelson, Eberle, and Beau for the 200 points these newbies would be adding.

DEFENSE:
There are surely ways in which Lou could upgrade this blueline.

And I continue to believe we'll see Leddy moved this summer.

But even if Lou wouldn't do a thing with the blueline, while looking at Aho and perhaps even Dobson as incremental possibilities for next season (i.e. not retaining Sbisa and Seidenberg types), we've got a very cost-affordable defensive group, and we're seeing that it can get the job done, despite continuing to invest in the growing pains involved with Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews.

I believe the only reason Hoffman is on the block currently is because Florida wants to sign Bob and Panarin. Also, Hayes is definitely better than Nelson.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I always pegged Draisaitl as Radek Bonk 2.0 since pre-draft.

He's obviously more skilled than bonk. But I really worry about how players like Yashin, Heatley, Bobby Ryan, etc. age. (Jason Allison is the extreme example.) And I see that kind of player in Draisaitl.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->