Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
THIS is the key, IF Lee, Nelson & Eberle leave for nothing, and we DON'T sign Panarin or Duchene, obviously we will be a lottery team in 2019-20.
I don't think that's obvious at all. Many fans, myself included, assessed this team in October, saw the departures and additions, and thought it was obvious they'd be a lottery team this season.

If all of the UFA's walk Lou will have a TON of cap space to work with. We'll see what he does in terms of trades and signings.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think that's obvious at all. Many fans, myself included, assessed this team in October, saw the departures and additions, and thought it was obvious they'd be a lottery team this season.

If all of the UFA's walk Lou will have a TON of cap space to work with. We'll see what he does in terms of trades and signings.
One of the keys in all of this is getting that new arena started. Not talked about, planned, proposed, guaranteed, designed, projected or any other f**king thing. Shovels in the ground, skiploaders skiploading and backhoes backhoeing. Until then, we are already behind the 8 ball in terms of signing new blood. And get the Coli for the two full seasons. Has to be as much of priority for management as player signings, because the latter isn't happening without the former.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
One of the keys in all of this is getting that new arena started. Not talked about, planned, proposed, guaranteed, designed, projected or any other f**king thing. Shovels in the ground, skiploaders skiploading and backhoes backhoeing. Until then, we are already behind the 8 ball in terms of signing new blood. And get the Coli for the two full seasons. Has to be as much of priority for management as player signings, because the latter isn't happening without the former.

Agree. Was saying this just the other day to a Ranger fan friend who asked what I thought of the trade deadline.

I’m hoping the inactivity may have had a little something to do with Lou knowing Belmont it is in the bag.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Agree. Was saying this just the other day to a Ranger fan friend who asked what I thought of the trade deadline.

I’m hoping the inactivity may have had a little something to do with Lou knowing Belmont it is in the bag.
I hope so, but until it's actually underway, it's still all talk. And that worries me.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I will lose faith in Lamoirello if the roster is not significantly upgraded this summer. You can’t do nothing at the deadline and then follow up it with a worse summer.

Yup, next most important day for this franchise is draft day, it is his duty to upgrade the top-6 prior to Free Agency, to go into 7/1 with no one signed and no new additions will put the team behind the 8 ball.

The 1st + every prospect not named Dobson or Sorokin needs to be in play, I'd like to keep Wahlstrom, but if he can yield us a legit player with term it needs to be explored. This impotent offense is not being taken seriously, by fans or opposing teams.

I will be interested to see if posters like you guys stand by this or you start saying the same excuses as so many on here did after Lou did nothing at the deadline.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I will be interested to see if posters like you guys stand by this or you start saying the same excuses as so many on here did after Lou did nothing at the deadline.

You probably won’t see me here either way, I’m seriously considering leaving HFBoards, but you can take my word for it, if he doesn’t get an NHL impact player on the draft floor , I will be very upset. No point in making “excuses” , what’s a better outlet for me is actually going and playing some hockey or skateboarding. Plucking away at the keyboard is less therapeutic

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You probably won’t see me here either way, I’m seriously considering leaving HFBoards, but you can take my word for it, if he doesn’t get an NHL impact player on the draft floor , I will be very upset. No point in making “excuses” , what’s a better outlet for me is actually going and playing some hockey or skateboarding. Plucking away at the keyboard is less therapeutic
Watching our play this past week or two has been discouraging. It has been the team we thought we would be seeing all season. Still, I'm not giving up hope. BT is a great coach but not a miracle worker. Still, we can rest assured he'll be grinding as hard as Zeeker to get all he can out of this line up.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We NEED to get one of Duchene or Panarin. If that means an overpayment, then you overpay.
It's a given that whomever gets them will be overpaying. It's the nature of free agency.

I just don't understand the attitude that it's just money. Anybody thinking we are a prime location for either one must just not be paying attention. When was the last time we signed a marquee free agent? I think it was 199 NEVER! I'm not saying it's not going to happen, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. Any upgrade will have to come through trade. Best to get that mentality in your mind now because those two are pipe dreams.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
True, Isles have never landed an A-list free agent. But they never had Lou and Trotz making the pitch. Or a new arena to highlight. Big difference from Garth trying to sell Barclays and the old barn.

Huh? Both Lou and Trotz were here to try to get Tr91tor to stay. Yes, the situation is a little different, but it should have been easier to keep Tr91tor than it would be to sign Panarin or Duchene and they couldn't do the former.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I'm curious. How can the Coli even be a full time home if the NHL deemed it not fit for playoff action after the 1st round? How does that even work. I still don't understand what that ruling actually meant.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Watching our play this past week or two has been discouraging. It has been the team we thought we would be seeing all season. Still, I'm not giving up hope. BT is a great coach but not a miracle worker. Still, we can rest assured he'll be grinding as hard as Zeeker to get all he can out of this line up.

I was worried after the games last week but they played a great game against Vancouver. Honestly, these two games against Calgary were pretty much confirmation that good coaching and chemistry gets you very far, but you can still be beat by someone with good coaching, chemistry, and better skilled players. Calgary is just better than us, but i'm sure we'd all be thrilled to death to play them in the playoffs.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm curious. How can the Coli even be a full time home if the NHL deemed it not fit for playoff action after the 1st round? How does that even work. I still don't understand what that ruling actually meant.
I think what it really meant was the Isles better find a way to get Belmont started ASAP. Bettman is running out of patience.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Huh? Both Lou and Trotz were here to try to get Tr91tor to stay. Yes, the situation is a little different, but it should have been easier to keep Tr91tor than it would be to sign Panarin or Duchene and they couldn't do the former.

If Panarin or Duchene get max contract offers from their hometown teams, we'll talk. It is obvious now that no team anywhere would have kept Tavares away from Toronto. I don't fault Lou and Trotz for losing him. And I don't think losing him is an indication of their ability to sign others.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If Panarin or Duchene get max contract offers from their hometown teams, we'll talk. It is obvious now that no team anywhere would have kept Tavares away from Toronto. I don't fault Lou and Trotz for losing him. And I don't think losing him is an indication of their ability to sign others.

You are quite forgiving. I seem to remember the majority of fans faulting Snow for things like this, but now with LL it is suddenly "results aren't that important, only effort". In my mind they didn't make it happen and that still speaks to results.

As far as fault is concerned, I'm not blaming anyone except Tr91tor. I also won't blame LL if Panarin and Duchene reject decent offers. In the end, it's not LL's decision. It's the players. That's why I hold no illusions of grandeur about those two signing with us. The team has very little they can do to make it happen. It's up to the player to decide.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If our team looks similar to what you're proposing I will be pretty upset.

I don't want Duchene and feel he is staying in Ohio and will be looking for a big raise.

And why are we trading Leddy and a 1st for a soon to be 30 year old forward?

Why not just sign Panarin or a less talented veteran for free?

Leddy could be dealt at the trade deadline for futures. Maybe next year he can rebound and hopefully we sell high.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Realistically, we can hope for 1 marquee FA - at most. That pretty much means one of Panarin or Duchene. Maybe Kevin Hayes, Dzingel or Nyquist too but that's a long fall from the first two.

I think its a given that Eberle is not re-signed prior to July 1 but hopefully Nelson and Lee (and Lehner) are. As far as our top 6 go, if we can land Panarin, he could slot on wing with Nelson and sign a Filppula (the actual guy or someone similar at #3C). If its Duchene, we drop Nelson to #3C and slot the current wingers around those guys. Either of those options are fine with me. Nelson, of course, could also get time as a top 6 wing if that fits better.

Either way, this team is really one play maker from being that much more dangerous. Of course, we are also one loss away from being a swiss cheese roster.

The team REALLY needs to give Panarin (or Duchene) a blank check on July 1st. If he wants over $10m, so be it. We don't have the luxury of being frugal at this point.

Option #1:

Lee - Barz - Bailey
Beau - Nelson - Panarin
Ladd - Filp - Komarov
4th line
(LWs are interchangeable among lines)

Option #2

Ladd - Barz - Bailey
Lee - Duchene - Beau/Nelson
LW (MDC?) - Nelson/FA - Komarov
4th Line

And if the young guys like MDC/Bellows/JHS/ Wall-e want to force their way onto the roster, even better.

At this point I would be OK with bringing back Lee and Nelson. Eberle is most likely gone.

IMO we should offersheet Kasperi Kapanen. That Probably won't cost us more than next years first.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I suspect anyone expecting Lou to sacrifice the future for massive changes aimed at making a Cup run next season are going to be disappointed. If he can improve the team, he will. But his vision is long-term, not the 2020 playoffs. He and Trotz are working with a largely inherited roster this year. He'll shape it to what he wants it to be. But my guess is when he imagines an Islander lifting the Cup, it's Barzal, Dobson, etc. and not necessarily, for example, Bailey, Leddy, etc..
If Lou was thinking longterm he would have traded Eberle and Nelson at the deadline for draft picks. Instead he was thinking short term.

Reactions: 12Dog

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Every offseason is important, this one certainly ranks up there for a few reasons:

- First summer post-JT; can Lou replace some of that lost talent, there’s opportunity. Lou couldn’t last summer, couldn’t at the deadline, what lies ahead?

-Lou will have a year + of evaluation, this offseason he’ll have a working base to make the changes he and Trotz deem necessary. Weeding the ‘passengers’ out.

-Surprising, successful season to build on. Do not want to miss the playoffs the year after you fought for the division into March.

Yes, a lot is riding on this summer. As I see it, our A prospects, if they continue developing, will advance the collective skill. However, Lou is going to have to rely on external upgrades; we just don’t have that talent within the system, nor waiting to step in and impact in such a way that makes this team a PO contender a year from now.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Despite his outstanding production, it looks like Karlsson has had some issue with durability. Injured again, can't be good. I'd be very skeptical of giving him big term, dollars, sure, years, no.

Another scenario is moving Leddy + Bellows or 1st for a 2C and then trying to sign Karlsson. That would be an upgrade, but if he can't stay healthy , it wouldn't matter.

Very simple - Leddy and Ho-Sang for Nylander. Toronto WILL need to move guys and WON'T be able to keep Gardiner.

Don't even need to give up Bellows or a 1st.

Then there's room to maneuver.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
just like how we NEEDED to replace okposo who we didnt re-sign, then signed andrew ladd.

with all of the contracts coming off of the books this summer (quite a few), Lou will be busy this off-season either re-signing some of those guys, or more likely, making new additions

Likely the latter.

Gotta think he has A LOT of players on his own "favorites" list, which he's been compiling for years.

Some thoughts:
- If Filppula isn't kept, I'd LOVE to see the Isles fill that spot with UFA Brandon Tanev (WPG). Just coming into his own and has a lot of "Cizikas" in his game.
- One winger who I feel would absolutely THRIVE playing together with Barzal is... Vinny Hinistroza! I jest you not. Not saying anything about his availability, but he's the type of guy I think would gel incredibly well with Barzal.
- Still thinking an AHL prospect of ours could be moved for Dallas prospect Denis Guryanov.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You were against trading prime assets for a rental at the deadline. Curious of your opinion of how Lamoriello handled the deadline. If he is going to trade the assets, I say trade them for players with term.

To be clear, as you mention, I didn't think moving a Dobson/Wilde/Wahlstrom, a 1st, and an Aho for a Duchene/Stone/Panarin was the way to go. I felt that would've been foolish at this juncture. Maybe not in 1-2 years when the identified core is there and you're adding that final piece. But we're not there. This is Year 1. Ok, people get that.

In general, this entire Trade Deadline surprised me. The prices weren't really all that high and it proved to be a buyers market, as expected. And that a guy like Stone would "sign" right away with his new team - well, that downright shocked me.

On the other hand, that Lou did NOTHING also really surprised me. I could have sworn he'd grab a Johansson type or even a lesser-known with a bit of term. Fact is, we have TWO glaring weaknesses and they were not addressed in any way, shape or form externally. To think either of these issues (PP improvement and a scoring winger for Barzal) will now be taken care of internally is to say what we've all been thinking - Lou really sees this year as just a cherry on top and is absolutely fine with playing with house money while he evaluates.

It also indicates to me that Lou is clearly going to watch how all these guys handle the pressures of the stretch run and who steps to the plate. This success of this season is sooo not a priority, that it may not even be in his plan whatsoever.

He's got a different plan and altering in any way for the jab at success this year just wasn't in the cards.

So he'll evaluate, then I think he'll operate.

I think he'll use this summer to reshape things as he sees fit.

As we have 5 important UFAs to deal with, he'll be involved in the UFA market one way or the other.

But I think there are guys out there that he and Trotz want. They are guys he'll have to acquire via trade. I think he'll make a trade or two.

And yes, I think the guys he will get may very well come in with lots of term.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
It's a given that whomever gets them will be overpaying. It's the nature of free agency.

I just don't understand the attitude that it's just money. Anybody thinking we are a prime location for either one must just not be paying attention. When was the last time we signed a marquee free agent? I think it was 199 NEVER! I'm not saying it's not going to happen, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. Any upgrade will have to come through trade. Best to get that mentality in your mind now because those two are pipe dreams.

It's fine for you to think that way, but there are different, respected people at the helm of the Islanders now.

A young, solid defense is in place, the goaltending is very good, there's a young, franchise center on the team and a Stanley Cup winning Coach behind the bench. Oh, and they will likely be coming off of a playoff appearance too.

When was the last time the Islanders tried to woo a free agent while they had all of these things working in their favor? "199 NEVER"?

just like how we NEEDED to replace okposo who we didnt re-sign, then signed andrew ladd.

with all of the contracts coming off of the books this summer (quite a few), Lou will be busy this off-season either re-signing some of those guys, or more likely, making new additions
The Ladd signing was a risk worth taking IMO. But Duchene/Panarin are on a completely different tier than Ladd was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad