Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I doubt Lou even makes an offer to Eberle. Doesn’t seem to be his kind of player.

Reactions: dood

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I doubt Lou even makes an offer to Eberle. Doesn’t seem to be his kind of player.

Eberle has a name and history of producing , but we can replace him for the half the price, he doesn't drive a line. I like him but we've committed to too many non-impact players to justify giving him a deal.

For now however, I think we should consider putting him back with Barzal and running Ladd-Barzal-Ebs

Reactions: LeapOnOver and dood

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I have an odd feeling there will be a lot of changes. Some we like and some we don’t like.

I wouldn’t be shocked in the least if Lee wasn’t back next year.
I guess it depends on what Lee is asking for. If he is reasonable, he should be back. But he's not a gamebreaking caliber player and thus shouldn't be paid as such.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I suspect anyone expecting Lou to sacrifice the future for massive changes aimed at making a Cup run next season are going to be disappointed. If he can improve the team, he will. But his vision is long-term, not the 2020 playoffs. He and Trotz are working with a largely inherited roster this year. He'll shape it to what he wants it to be. But my guess is when he imagines an Islander lifting the Cup, it's Barzal, Dobson, etc. and not necessarily, for example, Bailey, Leddy, etc..

Reactions: PWJunior

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
We never bring in big name free agents EVER. Neither Duchene or Panarin will be on this team next year.

True, Isles have never landed an A-list free agent. But they never had Lou and Trotz making the pitch. Or a new arena to highlight. Big difference from Garth trying to sell Barclays and the old barn.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I suspect anyone expecting Lou to sacrifice the future for massive changes aimed at making a Cup run next season are going to be disappointed. If he can improve the team, he will. But his vision is long-term, not the 2020 playoffs. He and Trotz are working with a largely inherited roster this year. He'll shape it to what he wants it to be. But my guess is when he imagines an Islander lifting the Cup, it's Barzal, Dobson, etc. and not necessarily, for example, Bailey, Leddy, etc..

This is what I've been saying. Lou is giving this group a chance to make a final run before it's dismantled in the summer.

The defense and goaltending along with Barzal are the main components of the team going forward. The role players in the bottom-6 are pretty set for next year too, contract wise and play style.

We need one more elite talent to pair with Barzal (preferably a center, but a winger that drives play is also welcome). We also need to systematically replace the veteran contracts with the youth.

The transformation of the real vision of Lou's Islanders will emerge starting this offseason. Undoing Snow's work wasn't going to happen overnight.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is what I've been saying. Lou is giving this group a chance to make a final run before it's dismantled in the summer.

The defense and goaltending along with Barzal are the main components of the team going forward. The role players in the bottom-6 are pretty set for next year too, contract wise and play style.

We need one more elite talent to pair with Barzal (preferably a center, but a winger that drives play is also welcome). We also need to systematically replace the veteran contracts with the youth.

The transformation of the real vision of Lou's Islanders will emerge starting this offseason. Undoing Snow's work wasn't going to happen overnight.
It’s too difficult to do at the trade deadline when your team is so thin at forward throughout the system. Couple that up with not having a 3rd or 4th round pick in this year’s draft and Lou has very little ammo to pull the trigger on a deal.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
We all know Lou signed these 1 year contracts for a reason. The guy has a cup winning coach that just took a team most thought would suck to top of the Metro in 60 games.

I'm not pessimistic. Different regime in place, different ownership. I expect us to make a run at Duchene, Skinner and Panarin, I think we end up signing one of them. I expect Lou to throw our hat into the Karlsson sweepstakes as well, by the way. Think Lee, Filp and Nelson are back.

I also expect us to make a few trades to plug some holes in the roster.

So in short: 1 big FA signing, a couple of trades, different top 6 next year.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Easier said then done, quality 3C's don't grow on trees, i'm all for signing Filps to a one year deal. You put together criteria, but there is no UFA C that fits it ....

Yeah, fair point unless there is a potential trade route. Regardless, I think your 2/3 Centers need and upgrade going into next year. Whether it is one of them or both.

Overall, if you can take the current roster and IN Panarin and OUT Eberle, with everything staying the same, that is a huge upgrade. I think Upgrading Filppula slightly would be good and hopefully not expensive but if not I'll take him back for one year. And then after that would be a dream to somehow shed Ladd away and replace him with MDC/Bellows/Ho-Sang, or someone from UFA/trade.

Regardless, I think the direction this offseason goes and Lou's overall plan even is mostly dependant on what he does with our UFA's/what they decide.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lou will have unlimited budget from Ledecky, subject to the cap. It's not far fetched to imagine him making a massive splash, landing two superstars, letting Eberle walk, and offering team friendly contracts to Lee and Nelson.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Yeah, fair point unless there is a potential trade route. Regardless, I think your 2/3 Centers need and upgrade going into next year. Whether it is one of them or both.

Overall, if you can take the current roster and IN Panarin and OUT Eberle, with everything staying the same, that is a huge upgrade. I think Upgrading Filppula slightly would be good and hopefully not expensive but if not I'll take him back for one year. And then after that would be a dream to somehow shed Ladd away and replace him with MDC/Bellows/Ho-Sang, or someone from UFA/trade.

Regardless, I think the direction this offseason goes and Lou's overall plan even is mostly dependant on what he does with our UFA's/what they decide.

Swapping out Eberle for Panarin is a tall order. We can dream though...

I still don't know how you upgrade Filp. He brings alot for a guy making under 3M bucks. Anyone younger is going to want more term and dollars, and the list is very underwhelming to say the least. I think if you upgrade the 2C slot via trade, all of a sudden Flips looks pretty good in his role.

I don't think it's super plausible since he just transitioned to center, but Koivula could be a dark horse candidate as a call up or possibly out of camp if he continues to play well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Swapping out Eberle for Panarin is a tall order. We can dream though...

I still don't know how you upgrade Filp. He brings alot for a guy making under 3M bucks. Anyone younger is going to want more term and dollars, and the list is very underwhelming to say the least. I think if you upgrade the 2C slot via trade, all of a sudden Flips looks pretty good in his role.

I don't think it's super plausible since he just transitioned to center, but Koivula could be a dark horse candidate as a call up or possibly out of camp if he continues to play well.

For a 1-year flier, Flip has been an excellent signing. I would be more than fine retaining him another year. As you mentioned, he could be an excellent mentor for Koivula.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Despite his outstanding production, it looks like Karlsson has had some issue with durability. Injured again, can't be good. I'd be very skeptical of giving him big term, dollars, sure, years, no.

Another scenario is moving Leddy + Bellows or 1st for a 2C and then trying to sign Karlsson. That would be an upgrade, but if he can't stay healthy , it wouldn't matter.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Eberle has a name and history of producing , but we can replace him for the half the price, he doesn't drive a line. I like him but we've committed to too many non-impact players to justify giving him a deal.

For now however, I think we should consider putting him back with Barzal and running Ladd-Barzal-Ebs

Eberle basically has the same production as Filppula this year, and Filp didn't play on PP or with Barzal/Nelson on the Top 6.

He's not coming back. We could slot Bellows or Ho-Sang for 30% of Eberle's salary for less than .5 ppg production.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Eberle basically has the same production as Filppula this year, and Filp didn't play on PP or with Barzal/Nelson on the Top 6.

He's not coming back. We could slot Bellows or Ho-Sang for 30% of Eberle's salary for less than .5 ppg production.

Good point - i'm not a fan of keeping him - I see it as being Ho-Sangs last and final opportunity if he is still in the organization.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Here's my long-shot...

Fil & Lehner re-sign.
Lee, Nelson, Eberle walk.
Panarin & Duchene sign.
JHS, MDC, and a 3rd traded for Kovy (2.25 retained)

Panarin-Barzal-Bailey
Ladd-Duchene-Kovy
Beau-Fil-Leo
4th line stays

Same D, same G.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I fully expect Lou to be a very active player in acquiring UPGRADES this summer.

Both on the free market and in the form of trades.

You were against trading prime assets for a rental at the deadline. Curious of your opinion of how Lamoriello handled the deadline. If he is going to trade the assets, I say trade them for players with term.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Usually a GM evaluates a year before making wholesale changes, I can see Lou taking this year, and set a plan in motion this summer. I would not expect him to stand pat. I can see big things happening. He put a new coach in place last summer, he made front office changes. The player part comes now. We know Eberle and Lee are UFA's, there is a lot of cap $ to improve the team. Also Sorokin? Does Lou work something out to get him out of the KHL? Lots of things to keep the board busy this summer.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
We NEED to get one of Duchene or Panarin. If that means an overpayment, then you overpay.

just like how we NEEDED to replace okposo who we didnt re-sign, then signed andrew ladd.

with all of the contracts coming off of the books this summer (quite a few), Lou will be busy this off-season either re-signing some of those guys, or more likely, making new additions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad