Does Skinner Stay or Does He Go?

Does Skinner Resign with the Sabres, or Does He Leave, and For How Much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I'd love to sign Skinner for 7.5, but that just isn't going to happen and i am okay with that. He is worth the money.

A lot of people are comparing his production to Kane's during his UFA year, but i don't think they are similar cases at all. I think Kane was the definition of a player who turned it on because he wanted that pay day and it worked. If you look at his production this year, it's pretty sad. I am not sure how the sharks use him, but 18 points (4 PPP) is a pretty significant drop off (i know a player's value is more than points, but still...).

Maybe Skinner will be the same thing, but i really don't think so. I think what we're seeing is Skinner when he has an elite center to set him up and feed him goals. Skinner's finish is fantastic and he and Eichel have tremendous speed and the ability to win puck battles (how many plays died on E.Kane's stick last year?) Skinner's going to get paid and i hope we're the team to pay him because he and Eichel could be a force for the next few years.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Skinner's agent is Don Meehan (Newport Sports). Meehan knows all about leverage and how to use it. He'll demand full market value and I expect the Sabres to pay it. This is a career defining event for Jason Botterill. If he doesn't get it done it will be like losing a Daniel Briere or Chris Drury and the consequences will be just as ugly.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Skinner's agent is Don Meehan (Newport Sports). Meehan knows all about leverage and how to use it. He'll demand full market value and I expect the Sabres to pay it. This is a career defining event for Jason Botterill. If he doesn't get it done it will be like losing a Daniel Briere or Chris Drury and the consequences will be just as ugly.

It is absolutely nothing like the briere/drury situation, unless he is taking Eichel with him.

Also, to the poster before you, I don’t think kane is a good comparable. Kane generates offense by himself. They are typically low quality chances, but he shoots so often that some go in. Skinner plays a totally different game. A much more complete and useful game because he helps the team keep possession. Kane would just throw it at the net and give the puck back to the other team.

Kane is also on pace for about his career average, 45-50 points.

Skinner has shown the ability to score more throughout his career.

8 million is fair.

Reactions: debaser66

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

All NHL agents know how to use leverage, they're all equal. In the end only Skinner knows where he wants to be. He waived his NTC to come here, gets to play with Eichel, close to home, playoff team. He will take 8 * 8 with some upfront bonus money like Nylander got.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Hope he stays but it's got to be either big money or long term. Definitely wouldn't do both. $9mil per year is fine for 4 years. If it doesn't work out, ship him at the deadline for a first. Go into 2019 draft with 4 first rounders and you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Over the past 3 years, Skinner is tied for the 3rd most ESG and 11th most goals period. Now that he is with an elite #1 center he is producing even more.

Playing with Eichel is the reason for his offensive explosion, not the contract year. He is also the reason Eichel is on a 100+ point pace; someone finally cashes in when Jack feeds them in the slot.

Pay the man.
And to add to your point:

Skinner- 22G 10A
Eichel- 10G 29A

They just compliment each other so perfectly that he needs to be signed yesterday.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I just want to point out that 'better player' arguments are great for EA NHL ratings, but the 'better player' doesn't always correlate to better linemate chemistry and ultimately, greater team impact. So far Skinner's impact on Eichel must be considered as much as Jack's impact on Skinner, and the impact to overall team performance has been incredible compared to the past few years. Yes, Dahlin, Sheary, and team health play roles in the turnaround as well, but let's not kid ourselves, Skinner's ability to finish what Jack starts has pushed the team to another level.

Bottom line is; I just want a clear plan moving forward. If they sign him they need to have a plan for long term cap ramifications. If they let him go, they better have a plan for replacing his production.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I think it will be between 7.5 and 8mil
But certainly not more than 8mil.
Given his history you can't just pay him for 1 season.
8mil is the line for me.
If he wants more he can walk and be a 50pt player without Eichel.
No contending team will pay him more than 8mil.
Not many good teams have the space.
We have to think about the future and draw a line its not like he is Eichel or Dahlin, the only 2 players who should be retained whatever the cost.

Reactions: VaporTrail

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Hope he stays but it's got to be either big money or long term. Definitely wouldn't do both. $9mil per year is fine for 4 years. If it doesn't work out, ship him at the deadline for a first. Go into 2019 draft with 4 first rounders and you can pretty much get whatever you want.

HELL NO!

This is a year we need to be obtaining talent for the playoffs. Not trading for futures. No guarantees that we will be in the playoffs in the future. 2 years ago, Edmonton was a game away from the conference finals. They went right back to the basement. Take the opportunity when it presents itself

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
How about an alternative question?

Would you rather sign him to:
7.5AAV with a NMC
or
8.5AAV without a NMC

(Assuming a 7 year contract)

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
unless some odd event happens... we will be in the playoff hunt with skinner and hope he signs before the run, but he will finish his contract here, we could miss and get nothing for him ( i doubt he burns us..)... he won't be traded and imagine okposo is not going anywhere either... only possible trade will be moving hunwick (..botto7,8 d) if all are healthy and all play well and improve to make room for pilut.. but highly doubtful as depth is essential.... the trust inside the room may eliminate the gm from messing with it bringing anyone in as well, especially certain personalities.. it will be very interesting..

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think he stays. He's got an elite playmaking C to ride shotgun with, he's close to home, and he seems like he's enjoying being here. I still think the range is anywhere between 7.5-8.5. Obviously, I'd love to get him at the lower end of that. If giving him that 8th year or a no-move/no-trade clause will get us there, I'm all for it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think he stays. He's got an elite playmaking C to ride shotgun with, he's close to home, and he seems like he's enjoying being here. I still think the range is anywhere between 7.5-8.5. Obviously, I'd love to get him at the lower end of that. If giving him that 8th year or a no-move/no-trade clause will get us there, I'm all for it.

I see the cap hit being higher on a shorter 4-5 yr contract because the last 2-3 yrs woukd be lower than avg salary of the first 4-5 yrs which lowers the cap hit.

I’d prefer short because it gives the team flexibility 5 yrs from now that is hard to forecast. If he still is playing well he’d get extensions.

I see 4-5 yr around 9-9.5.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY

Disagree. It would take a deep run in the playoffs and then letting him walk for nothing to take it to that level.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
When 2019 Conn Smythe winner Jeff Skinner is skating around the ice at KBA holding the Stanley Cup above his head we'll think the 8 year, $74 million contract he signed in January was a bargain.

All kidding aside, and nothing to prove this more than a gut feeling, but he seems to have a dramatic flare to his game that screams playoff performer.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
He doesn't fore-check, he doesn't back-check, he doesn't win battles, Yet he leads the team in plus/minus.
He doesn't have a great shot, he's not creative, he doesn't seem to pass or stick handle well, yet he leads the team in goal.
I don't know how he does it.

OldSchool RinkRat

Oct 1, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I saw a few mention how a NMC could lower Skinner's Cap-Hit but I think the one thing Buffalo has in its arsenal that the Majority of teams in the NHL would or could Not use is a Contract heavy in Signing Bonuses similar to Tavares. Under normal circumstances a contract with the majority in Signing Bonuses is a plus but with the threat of another CBA work stoppage getting the majority of your money all at once before the season is preferable to not getting any money at all if there is a work stoppage. I think that Signing Bonuses more than anything have the potential to lower his yearly Cap-hit and unlike most NHL owners Pegulla has no problem paying out salary all at once if it offers a way to help the team.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He doesn't fore-check, he doesn't back-check, he doesn't win battles, Yet he leads the team in plus/minus.
He doesn't have a great shot, he's not creative, he doesn't seem to pass or stick handle well, yet he leads the team in goal.
I don't know how he does it.
doesn't stick handle well???

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
How about an alternative question?

Would you rather sign him to:
7.5AAV with a NMC
or
8.5AAV without a NMC

(Assuming a 7 year contract)

With all the future contracts Buffalo will need to fill, I'd do the 7.5 and have him and Eichel for the next 7 years. Buffalo needs to bank as much cap as possible for Reinhart and Dahlin. Plus,what if someone like Middlestadt breaks out?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Two completely different players, but assuming they would cost the same in FA, who would you rather have on the wing...Stone or Skinner?

Stone for sure, but Skinner has meshed very well with Buffalo and Eichel in particular, which has to count for something.

Reactions: Fezzy126

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Skinner is going to sign. But his contract demand will be that he play with Eichel the entire time he is here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad