Does Skinner Stay or Does He Go?

Does Skinner Resign with the Sabres, or Does He Leave, and For How Much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's not going anywhere. He's close to home and killing it on the ice. Watch his reaction on Jack's goal, this is a guy who is having a lot of fun right now. This is the best team he has played on.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'd put the odds at better than 50/50 that he stays- dude's having fun and has to know he'll have more success here than some unknown situation. I'd say $8 mil for 5 or 6 years would be perfect, wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit more though.

swisssabre

Jul 18, 2015
I am amazed by the production of Skinner. He definitly excelled my expectations for sure! But.. I don't want to see a 8x8.5.. I'd like more a 5x$8 mil contract. I know Botts will get the best out of it, remember Reino's contract

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It would be great to know if he actually still has NMC but I have seen nobody declaring that definitively

Deleted member 27798

I hate big contracts to non-elite talent. Jack drives the line, see who Poms did on that line. I'm glad it is not my decision.
Excellent point. Not an easy call on a GM's part.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
my guess was going to be the same deal vanek got years ago 7 years for 50 all together. 7.1 ish. if it's 4 years then 8 if it's longer then it should go down. keep in mind he wanted to come to buffalo to be close to home (toronto) so I think he wants to stay in buffalo unless the leafs who have no room make him an offer which they can't

8 is too much but I wouldnt lose that much sleep.

Deleted member 27798

my guess was going to be the same deal vanek got years ago 7 years for 50 all together. 7.1 ish. if it's 4 years then 8 if it's longer then it should go down. keep in mind he wanted to come to buffalo to be close to home (toronto) so I think he wants to stay in buffalo unless the leafs who have no room make him an offer which they can't

8 is too much but I wouldnt lose that much sleep.
The market has changed a lot since Vanek signed that offer sheet 11 years ago. No way are you getting Skinner for ~7 per season regardless of term.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The market has changed a lot since Vanek signed that offer sheet 11 years ago. No way are you getting Skinner for ~7 per season regardless of term.

Completely different situations, but the premise of the market being different 11 years ago vs today is correct. Think you could look at last year's market and look at that if we're looking for a close comparison. With that said, there are far too many variables we don't know, most certainly, what is the importance of "looking for a paycheck" vs "looking to be competitive". If he's looking STRICTLY to get a paycheck, then he's probably going to look for that $9 million to start. If he's looking for team fit, like he has here, and he's comfortable leaving money on the table, then maybe he needs to consider looking at $6.5-7.5 million AAV.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Completely different situations, but the premise of the market being different 11 years ago vs today is correct. Think you could look at last year's market and look at that if we're looking for a close comparison. With that said, there are far too many variables we don't know, most certainly, what is the importance of "looking for a paycheck" vs "looking to be competitive". If he's looking STRICTLY to get a paycheck, then he's probably going to look for that $9 million to start. If he's looking for team fit, like he has here, and he's comfortable leaving money on the table, then maybe he needs to consider looking at $6.5-7.5 million AAV.

I will be shocked if Don Meehan negotiates a deal that far under market value for Skinner.

If Skinner doesn't hit the market on 7/1, then I expect that he will sign for $8.5M+ per on a 7 or 8 year deal if he remains healthy and he finishes the season in the top 5 in the league in goals.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I will be shocked if Don Meehan negotiates a deal that far under market value for Skinner.

If Skinner doesn't hit the market on 7/1, then I expect that he will sign for $8.5M+ per on a 7 or 8 year deal if he remains healthy and he finishes the season in the top 5 in the league in goals.

My thought still remains that there will be variables that will impact the contract. I'm not too hung up on the $$$ or term, but if he wants to be here, and REALLY wants to sign here, and be competitive here, he's probably going to leave money on the table.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I think people are fantasizing if they think Skinner is signing for less than $8 million a year. He's a proven 30 goal scorer without playing with an elite centre like Jack. The cap is going up. Unless he's getting a lot of up front money (and that being protection against a lockout for the most part), I don't think he's signing under $9 million.

Edited and added: There have been 30 players since 2010 who have had 3 or more seasons with 28 goals or more (chose that slightly lower number as Skinner had that once), and Skinner is one of 18 that has done that four times. That's without Jack.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think people are fantasizing if they think Skinner is signing for less than $8 million a year. He's a proven 30 goal scorer without playing with an elite centre like Jack. The cap is going up. Unless he's getting a lot of up front money (and that being protection against a lockout for the most part), I don't think he's signing under $9 million.
I feel like 8 x $8.5M is the number.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I feel like 8 x $8.5M is the number.
That, I think might get it done. Buffalo having the ability to sign him for the extra years helps. But I still feel that is low unless they're handing out signing money like Halloween candy like Toronto did with Nylander.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That, I think might get it done. Buffalo having the ability to sign him for the extra years helps. But I still feel that is low unless they're handing out signing money like Halloween candy like Toronto did with Nylander.
I think it also helps that he wants to live and play close to home and his family, and we're literally his only opportunity to do that. Maybe that's worth leaving a million or two per year on the table to him. Maybe it's not. It would be great for everyone (him included) if he knocked his internal number down a bit to keep the gang together and give everyone (him included) the best chance for a dynasty. I truly hope he doesn't even sniff July 1st without a contract extension, this must happen.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Edited and added: There have been 30 players since 2010 who have had 3 or more seasons with 28 goals or more (chose that slightly lower number as Skinner had that once), and Skinner is one of 18 that has done that four times. That's without Jack.

But he's going to give us a hometown discount because the 6 months he's been here feels like 6 years.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Saw this on Sabres Mafia facebook page.

Screenshot_2018-12-20-06-29-55.png

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It would be great to know if he actually still has NMC but I have seen nobody declaring that definitively

No move clauses generally don't disappear. They really should be called "no-move without consent".

He consented to be moved to the Sabres , but the Sabres would almost certainly have to get his consent for any new movement. I believe that I read the NHLPA objects to any language which voids a NMC if it's ever waived because that weakens the control the player has, which is the only reason they want NMCs to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad