Does SJ compliance buyout Burish?

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Sheppard is not an ideal 3c. He is too slow for a true checking role and he doesn't score enough to be a Cullen type. As someone else said above, i doubt he sticks around. He needs a third chance with a bottom feeder a la Wellwood or Matthias where he gets minutes and can explore his scoring ability. I agree that his possession is good, but he is massively slow. With Sheppard, TM is playing the bottom six like lines 3b and 4a. Too few minutes for a real 3rd line and a couple extra minutes for the 4th. That's the coach's eval.

To me Shep appears to be on a Pavs level... although Pavs has looked extremely slow at times. It is my biggest concern with him (Pavelski).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
His anticipation is better. His raw speed, not much. I used the Rags game to check and I got two looks where he got an equal start on the backcheck against grunts and not the fast guys like Hagelin. He lost badly. Anticipation helps him on the loose pucks and boardwork which is improved. He needs the raw speed for defense. I also checked Richards during the game and he has lost more than a step since his Tampa days (it explains his falloff).

PF,
He needs 14 min ES minimum to be a typical 3rd liner. I don't see him getting it in close scoring games.

So you pick the game in which every player was a step slow due to it being a 3rd game in 4 nights and make your conclusion?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
His anticipation is better. His raw speed, not much. I used the Rags game to check and I got two looks where he got an equal start on the backcheck against grunts and not the fast guys like Hagelin. He lost badly. Anticipation helps him on the loose pucks and boardwork which is improved. He needs the raw speed for defense. I also checked Richards during the game and he has lost more than a step since his Tampa days (it explains his falloff).

PF,
He needs 14 min ES minimum to be a typical 3rd liner. I don't see him getting it in close scoring games.

His raw speed is much, much better this season, especially lately, and the rags game is a terrible game to use (not that I felt he was even slow in the game). I do not see footspeed as a weakness for Sheppard anymore, at all. His only real issue is commitment and effort.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
So you pick the game in which every player was a step slow due to it being a 3rd game in 4 nights and make your conclusion?
No. It is random and opportunistic. It is when I catch two players going from a standing start on possession changes or loose pucks where they are close enough to compare. I was alert in the Rangers game because I was looking for Richards due to his falloff. Richards used to be able to stay close to Marleau, not any more. I was checking possession on Shep's line when I got an opportunity. And it wasn't close. He lost by a full stride in the first three strides. At other points, I have noticed that he is much slower than JT on the backcheck in terms of opponents gaining separation. It wasn't a one time thing but the example was dramatic.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
No. It is random and opportunistic. It is when I catch two players going from a standing start on possession changes or loose pucks where they are close enough to compare. I was alert in the Rangers game because I was looking for Richards due to his falloff. Richards used to be able to stay close to Marleau, not any more. I was checking possession on Shep's line when I got an opportunity. And it wasn't close. He lost by a full stride in the first three strides. At other points, I have noticed that he is much slower than JT on the backcheck in terms of opponents gaining separation. It wasn't a one time thing but the example was dramatic.

Sorry man, I've been specifically paying attention to that with Sheppard and I just haven't seen what your seeing. What I have seen is him outpace defenders on breakaways and driving the net. I might see an argument for his accelleration not being top notch, but his top-speed seems to be above average.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Sorry man, I've been specifically paying attention to that with Sheppard and I just haven't seen what your seeing. What I have seen is him outpace defenders on breakaways and driving the net. I might see an argument for his accelleration not being top notch, but his top-speed seems to be above average.

I am specifically looking for acceleration. It's slow.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com

This. His acceleration isn't very good at all but his top speed is pretty damn good. I've noticed his speed/skating is much better than his willingness to actually use it though. This why he looks slow often times. Actually, moving his feet seems to be the big key to his game.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Burish is well overpaid (1,85 mil.) and there is 2 years left in his contract after this season.

San Jose has still 2 compliance buyouts left and if i have understand system right they can use it next summer but not after that.

Will SJ buyout Burish or should they?

Do I think they should, sure. Do I think DW will, no not at all. IMO, Wilson holds on to a player he acquires long after it is apparent it was a bad fit. He may eventually trade him, more likely just not resign him, but buying him out seems very un-DW.

More likely he will do next to nothing or make a trade that leaves most of us going how (or why) in the world did he do that. I was playing with capgeek and came up with a roster that does not buy anyone out and would make us, IMO, much more competitive. It assumes a trade to NYI centered on NEMO for DeHaan, plus Kennedy traded (probably for pick). I did go complete fantasy land by picking up two UFA Defensemen in Fayne and Hainsey, plus bringing Greiss in as a back-up (hey, I like Greiss).

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.667m) / Logan Couture ($6.000m) / Tommy Wingels ($3.200m)
Tomas Hertl ($0.925m) / Joe Thornton ($6.750m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($6.000m) / Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
James Sheppard ($1.000m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Adam Burish ($1.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Mark Fayne ($3.500m)
Ron Hainsey ($3.000m) / Jason Demers ($3.500m)
Calvin de Haan ($2.250m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($1.200m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,010,833; BONUSES: $590,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $89,167

Now if it were me, I would ask for a fwd prospect (Sundsrtrum?) from NYI in addition to DeHaan for Nemo and also would buy out Havlat. That would give us room to operate at the deadline if/when we need it (or to sign a better goalie than Greiss to pair with Stalock).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad