Does SJ compliance buyout Burish?

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think its worth it to buy him out at just $1.8M. I say we buyout Havlat and MAYBE Kennedy. Kennedy has been invisible lately. Havlat is picking it up a little but he is still not worth $5M. He hasn't been the same since that line change against Edmonton...lol :shakehead

Kennedy? Come on, we managed to trade Handzus; we could trade Kennedy if we wanted.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
He is such a waste of a roster spot, I was hoping Kearns at the least was going to play in his spot when called up the other day. I hope when Torres returns, Burish is the one to sit, and hopefully if Hertl returns as well, we dont see Burish or Brown in a Sharks jersey again this season

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Now that there is only 2 years of contract left for Burish after this season, I can see him potentially getting traded. 3 years of that contract is tough, but 2 is tolerable. I don't think there will be any buyouts to be honest. Sharks have always been fiscally conservative and they are going to try and avoid it at all costs. The ONLY reason I see them doing it is if a buyout would prevent them from getting drastically better. Since this summer's FA is little (and we never sign prime FA's), I only see them doing it if they have a trade lined up.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Now that there is only 2 years of contract left for Burish after this season, I can see him potentially getting traded. 3 years of that contract is tough, but 2 is tolerable. I don't think there will be any buyouts to be honest. Sharks have always been fiscally conservative and they are going to try and avoid it at all costs. The ONLY reason I see them doing it is if a buyout would prevent them from getting drastically better. Since this summer's FA is little (and we never sign prime FA's), I only see them doing it if they have a trade lined up.

The biggest reason to do a compliance buy out would be to re-sign the parts that DW deems important. I would assume that the upcoming RFAs are gonna want some sort of pay raise and they deserve it. Then there's also the question of whether or not to bring back Boyle. If the cap doesn't go up like it was expected to then this will make getting under the cap without using the compliance buy out a little tougher, especially if they want to keep all the RFAs and Boyle/Havlat.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
The biggest reason to do a compliance buy out would be to re-sign the parts that DW deems important. I would assume that the upcoming RFAs are gonna want some sort of pay raise and they deserve it. Then there's also the question of whether or not to bring back Boyle. If the cap doesn't go up like it was expected to then this will make getting under the cap without using the compliance buy out a little tougher, especially if they want to keep all the RFAs and Boyle/Havlat.

Being able to sign the essential RFA's is a no brainer. However, with the cap going up as much as it is, that shouldn't be a problem. The biggest question mark will be how much Boyle signs for, if he does.

The below roster still has both Burish and Havlat on the team. It also has TK on it as well, who I suspect will be trade bait if it gets close enough given how much we've used him this season.

See below's lineup: There's 4mil left in cap space without Boyle signed.

FORWARDS
Tomas Hertl ($0.925m) / Joe Thornton ($6.750m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Patrick Marleau ($6.667m) / Logan Couture ($6.000m) / Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($6.000m) / Tommy Wingels ($2.500m)
James Sheppard ($1.200m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.350m)
Martin Havlat ($5.000m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) /
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Jason Demers ($3.000m)
Scott Hannan ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Alex Stalock ($0.688m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,098,333; BONUSES: $590,833
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,001,667

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
The Sharks aren't cheap but their not going to spend much over what the cap hit allows and even spending a couple of million more than projected (not counted against the cap) wouldn't fit their M.O.

We're basically spending a few mil over the cap this year, aren't we? We're just using LTIR to make it allowed. Although if the cap goes up a lot it might change.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kennedy? Come on, we managed to trade Handzus; we could trade Kennedy if we wanted.

They didn't get to trade Handzus until the very last moment that they could. Whether they could trade Kennedy in the off-season remains to be seen. I'm hopeful that they can but if that rumored deal is accurate with Winnipeg, he may be in the same boat as Burish where we'd have to add something to entice a team to take him.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
They didn't get to trade Handzus until the very last moment that they could. Whether they could trade Kennedy in the off-season remains to be seen. I'm hopeful that they can but if that rumored deal is accurate with Winnipeg, he may be in the same boat as Burish where we'd have to add something to entice a team to take him.

He was worth a 2nd this past off-season after getting 11 in 46 and a -6. He has 16 in 56 and is a -4, so his stats are virtually identical to last year. He signed a reasonable contract for a third liner, so I have a hard time believing his value has dropped off to the point where he has negative value.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He was worth a 2nd this past off-season after getting 11 in 46 and a -6. He has 16 in 56 and is a -4, so his stats are virtually identical to last year. He signed a reasonable contract for a third liner, so I have a hard time believing his value has dropped off to the point where he has negative value.

Possibly but he was scratched a lot more often this season than last and people will see that when DW puts him on the table. I hope he can get a 3rd or a 4th for him and just move on. I'd rather they take their shot in the draft with their own selections than trade for another team's prospects in situations like this.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Possibly but he was scratched a lot more often this season than last and people will see that when DW puts him on the table. I hope he can get a 3rd or a 4th for him and just move on. I'd rather they take their shot in the draft with their own selections than trade for another team's prospects in situations like this.

I've been a little disappointed with Kennedy. He's had some injury issues, for sure, but ultimately he hasn't seized the opportunity he's been given. Before Torres came back, before Sheppard started performing, and after Hertl's injury, there was a chance for Kennedy to really assert himself. And, he failed.

On the other hand, though, if the Sharks have the space, just keep him. It is only when they want to sign Boyle (let us assume they will not sign any big FA) or trade for another piece that they will have to make room.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

what was the rumored deal? i know what every one basically went for on trade deadline day was basically picks and or prospects. neither of which wilson wanted to part with (his words).

even vanek went for a prospect and a conditional pick (very low market for a top line player)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So was Galiardi last year.

Except Galiardi's scratches were early in the season and he played well to finish. Kennedy is at this point on the opposite end of that. Good start and tapering off to healthy scratch status.

I've been a little disappointed with Kennedy. He's had some injury issues, for sure, but ultimately he hasn't seized the opportunity he's been given. Before Torres came back, before Sheppard started performing, and after Hertl's injury, there was a chance for Kennedy to really assert himself. And, he failed.

On the other hand, though, if the Sharks have the space, just keep him. It is only when they want to sign Boyle (let us assume they will not sign any big FA) or trade for another piece that they will have to make room.

I wouldn't keep him either way. That's money and cap space that they could utilize on the blue line. That's the area that needs it the most. You can cut out guys like Havlat, Burish, and Kennedy and be fine up front with the depth.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desjardins-Hamilton/Kearns/whoever

And if Boyle walks, it gives them an excellent opportunity to get two or three top four d-man level players to provide great depth on the blue line. That's about 16 million in space where you can get at least two quality impact d-men to support Braun, Demers, and Vlasic.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
what was the rumored deal? i know what every one basically went for on trade deadline day was basically picks and or prospects. neither of which wilson wanted to part with (his words).

even vanek went for a prospect and a conditional pick (very low market for a top line player)

The Winnipeg rumor that was floating around was the Sharks trading Sheppard, Burish, and Kennedy for Setoguchi and Thorburn. The idea being that because Sheppard was warming up that the only way for the Jets to take Burish and to a lesser extent Kennedy, was to give up Sheppard.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Except Galiardi's scratches were early in the season and he played well to finish. Kennedy is at this point on the opposite end of that. Good start and tapering off to healthy scratch status.

I wouldn't keep him either way. That's money and cap space that they could utilize on the blue line. That's the area that needs it the most. You can cut out guys like Havlat, Burish, and Kennedy and be fine up front with the depth.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels

And if Boyle walks, it gives them an excellent opportunity to get two or three top four d-man level players to provide great depth on the blue line. That's about 16 million in space where you can get at least two quality impact d-men to support Braun, Demers, and Vlasic.

Theoretically, but who is available to sign as a quality dman?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Winnipeg rumor that was floating around was the Sharks trading Sheppard, Burish, and Kennedy for Setoguchi and Thorburn. The idea being that because Sheppard was warming up that the only way for the Jets to take Burish and to a lesser extent Kennedy, was to give up Sheppard.

To be fair, this is assumption. Nothing came out to substantiate this. It could be that to take Burish, DW had to include Kennedy and Sheppard. In fact I think that more likely, since Sheppard had had only 5 good games prior to the trade. The trade was probably viewed as an exchange of slumping players in the hope to jump start them.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
There aren't any. Kennedy and Burish won't be bought out. The only possibility is Havlat.

No disagreement on that, I think Havlat is a given unless he has a remarkable turnaround come the playoffs. But on Burish, I truly cannot understand how the coaching cannot see how useless he is. Even kearns and Hayes and whomever filled in, did/gave more than what he does and has. Even Brown at the least goes out and uses the body and at times causes somewhat of a disturbance. It wouldn't surprise me if he isn't bought out but at the least traded for a pick. Could have been done two weeks ago.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels

So, if the Sharks could TRADE Kennedy, they get money and cap space. But I don't think they'll be able to trade Burish and Havlat. The team can't just eat 5+ million like that. If they buy those players out, I don't expect them to fill the salary with other players.

Plus, to get those top-four Dmen, they are likely going to give up assets. Which means depleting the forward core and losing some of that depth. Perhaps, significantly.

The only assets the Sharks have, that I wouldn't mind moving, that would net the Sharks such a quality D-man, would be Wingels, Nieto, and their first-round-pick. If they trade both those players, then I think having a player like Kennedy becomes prudent.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels

I don't really like 'Hamilton/Kearns/whoever' but other than that I think you have it right on. Re-sign Mike Brown for around the same salary (=< $750K) and get another 4th line banger who fits into our system. Dont spend more than a total of $2M for those two players and alternate them on the 4th line with 15 and 10. Will give better depth than what Hamilton and Kearns showed us this year as well. It is not that Kennedy and Burish are bad 4th line players, but they are definitely overpaid ones and that cap is better used for strengthening our D core.

I really like the way our team is playing right now. Yesterday was the first day I have felt in years that we can match any team in the NHL right now. LA, Chicago, St. Louis are tough teams but I have no doubt that if we play the way we have been recently, we can win a series against them.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I am pretty confident Edmonton would want Kennedy. I also think they could find a spot for Burish.

He is better than Eager, Acton, Gazdic, and arguably Joessu. He is gritty, a leader, and a decent penalty killer. Is he worth 1.85m? No, but too add Kennedy to their third line, I think they'd be willing to take Burish for their fourth line.

Smyth-Gordon-Kennedy is actually an NHL third line, not a great one, but it is decent, and Kennedy is a still young.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I am pretty confident Edmonton would want Kennedy. I also think they could find a spot for Burish.

He is better than Eager, Acton, Gazdic, and arguably Joessu. He is gritty, a leader, and a decent penalty killer. Is he worth 1.85m? No, but too add Kennedy to their third line, I think they'd be willing to take Burish for their fourth line.

Smyth-Gordon-Kennedy is actually an NHL third line, not a great one, but it is decent, and Kennedy is a still young.

The Sharks have no incentive to trade Kennedy. He hasn't had a great year due to injuries and illness and finding his niche but he's played well lately and is starting to find his role.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
The Sharks have no incentive to trade Kennedy. He hasn't had a great year due to injuries and illness and finding his niche but he's played well lately and is starting to find his role.

Getting rid of Burish would be incentive enough for me. I think Kennedy is a legit third line winger, and given the Sharks have consistently been trying to fill that role, I'd be fine with moving him, but 4m on our 11th and 13th best forwards is a lot for a cap team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad