Does SJ compliance buyout Burish?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Getting rid of Burish would be incentive enough for me. I think Kennedy is a legit third line winger, and given the Sharks have consistently been trying to fill that role, I'd be fine with moving him, but 4m on our 11th and 13th best forwards is a lot for a cap team.

I'm fine with moving Burish as well. Just not ready to write off Kennedy.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm not ready to write off Kennedy either. If we could buyout havlat and burish that would be fine.

If shep stakes a claim on that 3c our 4th line will need a Kennedy in there.

??-desi-Kennedy

Id prefer a player like frolik and rotate brown in during the season

Maybe get a nice deal on Boyle. Let Irwin walk. Them try to shore up the blue line.

But the buyouts are just the first step. DW has some thinking to do.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Theoretically, but who is available to sign as a quality dman?

I wouldn't be looking at free agency to spend that freed up money. There will be a trade market for defensemen of that level which is generally what the Sharks end up doing anyway.

There aren't any. Kennedy and Burish won't be bought out. The only possibility is Havlat.

I don't see there being an option for Burish to be traded honestly. I think they'll end up buying out Havlat and Burish or nobody. I don't see them only using one of their compliances.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
I dont see Kennedy leaving. He came from a team, division where travel was so little compared to CA teams. It has literally taken him months to acclimate to this type of travel and add in injuries and a new system; he needed this year to figure things out and i think next year we see a much better TK

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I dont see Kennedy leaving. He came from a team, division where travel was so little compared to CA teams. It has literally taken him months to acclimate to this type of travel and add in injuries and a new system; he needed this year to figure things out and i think next year we see a much better TK

With the emergence of Hertl and Nieto, I don't think it's too smart to keep TK around to be a 2.35 million 4th liner. There are better ways to utilize that money and that 4th line spot. They could use someone who is a little more reliable in the PK situation. They have Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Wingels, Nieto, and Desjardins but if another 4th liner can take one of those spots away, that would be beneficial in lightening the load in a tough situation.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
People need to think this through. Order the current forwards and see who is left off.

The first four are JT, Couture, Pavelski and Marleau.

The rest of the top 9:
Burns
Hertl
Wingels
Torres
Nieto

That ends the top 9.

Havlat
Desjardins
Sheppard
Kennedy
Burish
Brown

That's 15 guys for a maximum of 14 slots, two of which are pressbox and injury fill in positions.

It would be smarter and more ideal to run Pavs as 3c in the playoffs to create matchup nightmares for opposition coaches.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
People need to think this through. Order the current forwards and see who is left off.

The first four are JT, Couture, Pavelski and Marleau.

The rest of the top 9:
Burns
Hertl
Wingels
Torres
Nieto

That ends the top 9.

Havlat
Desjardins
Sheppard
Kennedy
Burish
Brown

That's 15 guys for a maximum of 14 slots, two of which are pressbox and injury fill in positions.

It would be smarter and more ideal to run Pavs as 3c in the playoffs to create matchup nightmares for opposition coaches.

Evidently, Tarasov and Hamilton will be ready sooner rather than later. So room must be made for them, or they need to be traded.

This is why I cannot see Sheppard signing with this team long-term. It is all but given that Havlat and Kennedy will not be Sharks past their current contracts.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Torres-Pavelski-Nieto
Hamilton-Desijardins-free agent

Is a lineup I'd be very comfortable with in 2 years.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Evidently, Tarasov and Hamilton will be ready sooner rather than later. So room must be made for them, or they need to be traded.

This is why I cannot see Sheppard signing with this team long-term. It is all but given that Havlat and Kennedy will not be Sharks past their current contracts.

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Torres-Pavelski-Nieto
Hamilton-Desijardins-free agent

Is a lineup I'd be very comfortable with in 2 years.

Hamilton and Tarasov are long shots to make it. Hamilton showed very little and Tarasov hasn't even had a call up.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Hamilton and Tarasov are long shots to make it. Hamilton showed very little and Tarasov hasn't even had a call up.

If Sheppard keeps up his current level of play he's an absolutely ideal 3rd line center. Puck possession machine, good skating, good playmaking, decent defensively. He turns whatever line he's on right now into a scoring threat. Sheppard might not keep it up, but I can't really picture Hamilton ever been as good as Sheppard is right now.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If Sheppard keeps up his current level of play he's an absolutely ideal 3rd line center. Puck possession machine, good skating, good playmaking, decent defensively. He turns whatever line he's on right now into a scoring threat. Sheppard might not keep it up, but I can't really picture Hamilton ever been as good as Sheppard is right now.

I agree. Hamilton is a dime a dozen bottom 6 prospect. Sheppard can be a legit 3rd line center if he manages to maintain his current effort. He didn't play very well yesterday, he didn't hunt the puck or finish his checks and just kind of waited for the game to find him. He needs to be aggressive on every shift and in every game.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

Sheppard is not an ideal 3c. He is too slow for a true checking role and he doesn't score enough to be a Cullen type. As someone else said above, i doubt he sticks around. He needs a third chance with a bottom feeder a la Wellwood or Matthias where he gets minutes and can explore his scoring ability. I agree that his possession is good, but he is massively slow. With Sheppard, TM is playing the bottom six like lines 3b and 4a. Too few minutes for a real 3rd line and a couple extra minutes for the 4th. That's the coach's eval.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Giving up on Hamilton a little early, no? Shepard is four years older and just now starting to define his role ...

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

I can picture it - not saying it's likely but Shep was showing absolutely nothing for so long and then it just came together. We've seen players go through this transformation before. Just give it time - I still believe Freddie can do it and comparing him to Shep isn't that far fetched that he can achieve it, given that his comparisons have always been shutdown 4th/3rd line roles.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sheppard is not an ideal 3c. He is too slow for a true checking role and he doesn't score enough to be a Cullen type. As someone else said above, i doubt he sticks around. He needs a third chance with a bottom feeder a la Wellwood or Matthias where he gets minutes and can explore his scoring ability. I agree that his possession is good, but he is massively slow. With Sheppard, TM is playing the bottom six like lines 3b and 4a. Too few minutes for a real 3rd line and a couple extra minutes for the 4th. That's the coach's eval.

This is not really accurate. His minutes are actually in line with a 3rd liner. He just doesn't get the added minutes on special teams that other 3rd liners tend to get. He's pretty much comparable to other 3rd liners at even strength in minutes. We haven't seen enough of Sheppard in the role to make a reasonable conclusion one way or the other. It's only been a handful of games with consistent linemates in the spot. He and the line have done well thus far.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

He's not slow, at all. He's improved his skating dramatically this season. I've seen him outpace several pretty quick players recently. I would put him in the 'quick' category at this point, not fast yet, but definitely not slow by any stretch of the imagination. Kyle Wellwood is a good comparison possession wise, but other than that Sheppard is bigger, faster, stronger, and more talented. This could be him putting it all together, or just another flash in the pan moment for an unmotivated player, we will have to wait and see.

sharkcity

Mar 18, 2014
San Jose, California
Burish, Desjardins, Havlat, Brown, and Kennedy are all expendable. I wouldn't like to see them go (Havlat excluded) because I know that it would mess with team chemistry and everything. However, none of those players are consistent enough to really provide any offensive threat and have been mediocre on the PK.

It just seems like the Sharks always seem to have a few of those "anchor" players that tend to weigh the team down.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Burish, Desjardins, Havlat, Brown, and Kennedy are all expendable. I wouldn't like to see them go (Havlat excluded) because I know that it would mess with team chemistry and everything. However, none of those players are consistent enough to really provide any offensive threat and have been mediocre on the PK.

It just seems like the Sharks always seem to have a few of those "anchor" players that tend to weigh the team down.

So who plays in the bottom 6? Contrary to popular belief you need foot soldiers that can grind out shifts. The Sharks have that. Every cup winner has those players. I feel better with a bottom 6 with Kennedy, Wingels, Desi and Torres and Sheppard opposed to what they had last year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So who plays in the bottom 6? Contrary to popular belief you need foot soldiers that can grind out shifts. The Sharks have that. Every cup winner has those players. I feel better with a bottom 6 with Kennedy, Wingels, Desi and Torres and Sheppard opposed to what they had last year.

As long as their cap hit is in line with what they contribute, I don't mind keeping them. That's why I want to keep Desi, Sheppard, Torres, and Wingels around. A few of them will obviously depend on their contract demands but Burish, Kennedy, and Havlat are out of line for what they bring. They can all be useful to some extent but not at what they're making and the Sharks blue line can stand to be improved by a reallocation of the cap hits.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
As long as their cap hit is in line with what they contribute, I don't mind keeping them. That's why I want to keep Desi, Sheppard, Torres, and Wingels around. A few of them will obviously depend on their contract demands but Burish, Kennedy, and Havlat are out of line for what they bring. They can all be useful to some extent but not at what they're making and the Sharks blue line can stand to be improved by a reallocation of the cap hits.

I agree about Burish and Havlat, Disagree about Kennedy. Its his first year after leaving the only place he's known, I'm willing to give him a pass. He's also played better and looks comfortable lately. Burish and Havlat have been here long enough and either haven't done much (Burish) or spend too much time on IR (Havlat).

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
He's not slow, at all. He's improved his skating dramatically this season. I've seen him outpace several pretty quick players recently. I would put him in the 'quick' category at this point, not fast yet, but definitely not slow by any stretch of the imagination. Kyle Wellwood is a good comparison possession wise, but other than that Sheppard is bigger, faster, stronger, and more talented. This could be him putting it all together, or just another flash in the pan moment for an unmotivated player, we will have to wait and see.

His anticipation is better. His raw speed, not much. I used the Rags game to check and I got two looks where he got an equal start on the backcheck against grunts and not the fast guys like Hagelin. He lost badly. Anticipation helps him on the loose pucks and boardwork which is improved. He needs the raw speed for defense. I also checked Richards during the game and he has lost more than a step since his Tampa days (it explains his falloff).

PF,
He needs 14 min ES minimum to be a typical 3rd liner. I don't see him getting it in close scoring games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad