Does SJ compliance buyout Burish?

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Burish is well overpaid (1,85 mil.) and there is 2 years left in his contract after this season.

San Jose has still 2 compliance buyouts left and if i have understand system right they can use it next summer but not after that.

Will SJ buyout Burish or should they?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think his cap hit is too low for the buyout rule to apply to him.

There is no minimum cap hit for the compliance buyouts in the off-season. The one you're thinking about is for those that were bought out prior to the lockout shortened season like Redden and Gomez.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd like to think they would but I don't see it happening. I could see them buying out Havlat though. He's been kind of a headache for the team and it hasn't really been his fault most of the time. I kind of think it's in his best interest to take a year off and rehab like Selanne did.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If the Sharks buy someone out, can they resign him to a lesser deal?

For example they buy out Havlat, and sign him to a smaller 1 year deal. Can they do that?

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think its worth it to buy him out at just $1.8M. I say we buyout Havlat and MAYBE Kennedy. Kennedy has been invisible lately. Havlat is picking it up a little but he is still not worth $5M. He hasn't been the same since that line change against Edmonton...lol :shakehead

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think its worth it to buy him out at just $1.8M. I say we buyout Havlat and MAYBE Kennedy. Kennedy has been invisible lately. Havlat is picking it up a little but he is still not worth $5M. He hasn't been the same since that line change against Edmonton...lol :shakehead

I think it would be worth it just to get rid of the extra two years. It's not going to cost anything up against the cap and it will only cost them about 2.5 million in real dollars. Havlat will cost them 4 million. Kennedy will cost them a little over 1.5 million. Stuart will cost them 2.4 million.

If we buy the rumors that came out at the deadline, it's tough to believe that any of the forwards have real trade value. I think Kennedy can still be dealt this off-season for a 3rd or a 4th. Havlat and Burish probably not. Stuart probably could but he's limited to seven teams. At that point, it would just depend on who is on his list.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think DW is the kind of GM to do them at all to a rostered player, maybe a trade and CB for another team, etc.

In a situation like Marty Havlat, he'll either have to keep him, buy him out, or get him to waive his NMC. He may feel his best option for the team would be to buy him out. Who knows? Havlat is going to be highly dependent on how he performs in the playoffs at this point.

I would prefer these guys to be traded as I'm sure DW does. We'll see if it's available for them in the off-season. I think at least two of them can be but I don't know.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Sharks don't save much by shedding anyone's contract (in terms of actual dollars). So, I would guess no.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks don't save much by shedding anyone's contract (in terms of actual dollars). So, I would guess no.

The point shouldn't be saving much in actual dollars. The point should be to improve their team which this option would allow them to do.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
The Sharks aren't cheap but their not going to spend much over what the cap hit allows and even spending a couple of million more than projected (not counted against the cap) wouldn't fit their M.O.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
They can probably move him for a pick. Worse players have been moved in the past. Just try and sell him as a gritty PKer who is good at faceoffs. Doesn't Chicago need all three of these things? :naughty:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They can probably move him for a pick. Worse players have been moved in the past. Just try and sell him as a gritty PKer who is good at faceoffs. Doesn't Chicago need all three of these things? :naughty:

If Chicago was willing to take Handzus, they can take Burish or Kennedy too. lol

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose

Only because he has 2 years left his value is lower but you never know maybe Burrish + a 5th rounder for a 6 round draft pick:sarcasm:;):laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad