Does Rielly's new deal = New Captain???

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I will say this.....no one other than Rielly on our current Roster will wear the C.

I say they name him Captain some time after New Year if we do not add Stamkos.

I would say that a sure sign would be Morgan starting the season with an A.

I agree 100%.

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
I think that if they were going to name him captain they would have already. I don't like the Stamkos talk, this is not his team, meaning he was not drafted here. Think Nylander will get it down the road with A's on Rielly and Kadri.

I don't know why but I could also see Nylander wearing the C sometime in the future.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I will say this.....no one other than Rielly on our current Roster will wear the C.

I say they name him Captain some time after New Year if we do not add Stamkos.

I would say that a sure sign would be Morgan starting the season with an A.

I'm not sure if Rielly is ideal for captain but this does make a lot of sense, after all, if we don't get Stamkos there are no other reasonable candidates on the horizon and I don't think they want to go for years without a captain. It does seem entirely that Morgan will start the season with an A, maybe Kadri too.

No, you dont make a child the captain of a team, with 4 1st overall picks on it.

how does Hall, RNH, Eberle, and the other players that had been there and suffered feel to see a kid be hailed as savior, and given the C without having played a full season in the NHL yet

I don't know, why don't you ask them?

If it was any other player drafted since Crosby I'd agree with you but McDavid is different and extra special. I doubt very much his teammates would have any problem with the inevitable happening sooner as opposed to later.

PS I just looked it up, Crosby was made captain at age 19, worked out OK for him, it'll work out just fine for McDavid as well.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm not sure if Rielly is ideal for captain but this does make a lot of sense, after all, if we don't get Stamkos there are no other reasonable candidates on the horizon and I don't think they want to go for years without a captain. It does seem entirely that Morgan will start the season with an A, maybe Kadri too.

I don't know, why don't you ask them?

If it was any other player drafted since Crosby I'd agree with you but McDavid is different and extra special. I doubt very much his teammates would have any problem with the inevitable happening sooner as opposed to later.

PS I just looked it up, Crosby was made captain at age 19, worked out OK for him, it'll work out just fine for McDavid as well.

that was a Huge mistake also ...players should have a few seasons under their belt before they "Earn" the Captaincy.

this new generation where the most talented player (rather than the most deserving) gets the C makes me ill. When the most talented player is the most deserving, that is great, but, it is not always the case.

Not a huge fan of making a player the Captain when he joins a team either, but, in Stamkos's case at least he was a Captain (unlike Phaneuf)

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
We're going to announce Clarkson as captain at Luke Schenn's press conference?

Until the camera pulls back and we see the press conference is being held at Lou's blacksite prison for "injured" players and Lupul comes in with the chairshot and steals the C.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Actually, I think Kadri's new deal solidifies him as the new Captain.

Both of them have taken taken team-friendly deals, and deals that leave money to sign other players. That moves them both a little closer in my books. At a minimum, they both probably wear A's in the coming years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
that was a Huge mistake also ...players should have a few seasons under their belt before they "Earn" the Captaincy.

this new generation where the most talented player (rather than the most deserving) gets the C makes me ill. When the most talented player is the most deserving, that is great, but, it is not always the case.

Not a huge fan of making a player the Captain when he joins a team either, but, in Stamkos's case at least he was a Captain (unlike Phaneuf)

Making Crosby captain was a huge mistake? Yeah, I don't really see that. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I seriously doubt there will be captain Morgan next year.
On overdrive Lou said he is not ready and needs a lot more time. He did say that Morgan has everything to be a captain, on and off ice work ethic, leadership on and off the ice, respect of his teammates, but just too green.
I think it was more the protecting him aspect that Lou was looking at. Making it safe for players and that stuff.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
STOP IT!

Captain talk is ridiculous. The kid can barely get a word out in front of a camera.

Next Leafs captain will big a big name UFA.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
STOP IT!

Captain talk is ridiculous. The kid can barely get a word out in front of a camera.

Haha apparently here it will be a D with under 300 games who can't talk for the camera comfortably yet.

Not likely.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
STOP IT!

What are you - The HF Board's traffic cop????? You STOP IT!!!
This was brought up by professional analysts on TSN. It is a valid topic of conversation.

Why do posters feel they have to approve of every topic of discussion?? Don't like it... Move on!

Haha apparently here it will be a D with under 300 games who can't talk for the camera comfortably yet.

Not likely.

Haha, apparently you should take another look at the poll. Most Leaf fans aren't ready to anoint him Captain at this time.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Unless a guy like Stamkos shows up, I see him as the right choice in the near future. Hard working, talented, plays a ton and in all situations and great on-ice demeanor. They may go with no Captain next season and vets like Komarov, Hunwick, Bozak all wearing A's or maybe Rielly gets an A next season and C the following. Will not surprise me he ends up Captain.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Perhaps Marner?

mitch_marner_epaaa.jpg

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Rielly will be a cornerstone here but respectfully I just don't see him as a Captain. That's not a criticism in any way.

I can't see anyone other than Connor Brown being the Captain here after next year unless it comes down to a Stamkos or Mathews choice. Connor Brown is all about determination, personality, and leadership.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
The Leafs won their last four Stanley Cups with George Armstrong as their captain. No one thought that he was the best player on any of those teams. However, he was widely acclaimed as a great captain.

The perception that the best player on the team must be the captain is wrong. The best leader must be the captain.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
STOP IT!

Uhhh, he is very well spoken. Actually more well spoken than Dion, more personality as well.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don't think they should name a captain next season. Maybe the one after that but I think they should let the team form for a season or two and then maybe Rielly gets the C.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
I don't think they should name a captain next season. Maybe the one after that but I think they should let the team form for a season or two and then maybe Rielly gets the C.

this discussion should just end and these words should be taken as gospel.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Supportive of team mates
Speaks to media when approached
Works his rear end off all year long
His desire to improve is elite
He lead the team in ice time this past season.
Thinks before he speaks
Is very well liked by his team mates and management.

Rielly will captain the Leafs unless we sign Stamkos.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Rielly will be a cornerstone here but respectfully I just don't see him as a Captain. That's not a criticism in any way.

I can't see anyone other than Connor Brown being the Captain here after next year unless it comes down to a Stamkos or Mathews choice. Connor Brown is all about determination, personality, and leadership.

TBH, I don't see Rielly as the type either. Just a gut feeling but I think he'd take it if it was offered (because he'd do anything to help the team) but would probably be relieved if it was given to someone else.

I hadn't thought of Brown but I like the idea a lot. Not today of course but if he makes the team, plays well and they decide he will be around for a long time then why not. IMO the captain doesn't have to be one of the best players (would be nice but not that important). More important is that he is someone who sets an example by working his but off and thus makes the most of his talents and has the respect of his team-mates. Brown could be the guy, don't see why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad