Does Rielly's new deal = New Captain???

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Its all about protecting these young guys and not putting them in the spotlight.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I will say this.....no one other than Rielly on our current Roster will wear the C.

I say they name him Captain some time after New Year if we do not add Stamkos.

I would say that a sure sign would be Morgan starting the season with an A.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I think that if they were going to name him captain they would have already. I don't like the Stamkos talk, this is not his team, meaning he was not drafted here. Think Nylander will get it down the road with A's on Rielly and Kadri.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I want a leader not just a good player.

Wait till someone emerges as the leader of this team... in no rush to throw out the C

HalfCenturyWagoner

Apr 12, 2016
Toronto GTA
1. Part of the draw for Stamkos will be the fact the Captaincy is still up for grabs. Assigning this ahead of free agency may send a mixed message.

2. Rielly needs time to learn to become a great captain; ideally from other good captains. Phaneuf was decent role model, Liach is also very good and Stammer would be fantastic. After his 6 year contract and he's become the defender we believe he'll be, then he will be ready.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It would be awkward with Stamkos and Rielly both as the captain.

Maybe Rielly will wait until Stamkos has had his turn first.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if we sign stamkos hes captain...if not but we draft matthews, we'll be captainless for at least next season, cus i think matthews has more captain potential than rielly but i dont think they give it to him so early in his career

if no stamkos or matthews, i can see them giving it to rielly

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On overdrive today lou said rielly has all the the parts to be a captain but he is just not ready yet.
Does that mean he will by the summer? It didn't sound like it from lous point of view.

finnbalor*

Leafs don't need a captain because being a captain in Toronto is just a burden that opens up a player to bs criticism and scapegoating.

I think of the 'ultimate captain' like Messier, it was just a title that embarrassed him in last few season with NYR where the team missed the playoffs, or when he went to the Canucks and they didn't win. Captaincy is just a pointless distract that hurts a player.

David Bondra

Apr 5, 2016
Dallas, Texas
could happen, but definitely not in the next two years or even three. He is a great player (good Canadian kid) but the media pressure would break Rielly the same way it broke Phaneuf. He needs to develop more before he is ready for captaincy.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
With the way leafs fans turn on their captain no way do I want Rielly as captain. with the pressure in Toronto as intense as it is a young guy doesn't need to be burdened with the Captaincy

Please enlighten me... Outside of Dion Phaneuf which captains have Leaf fans turned on? Mats Sundin? Doug Gilmour? Wendel Clark?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No and he is not captain material at the moment. He doesn't have a captains personality either. I could see him as an A but not captain. The best captains are guys like Gary Roberts. I didn't even really like Sundin as captain but loved him as a player. As far as I am concerned the best captains are on the bench firing guys up and are intense like Babcock. You need a warrior not a sweet prince to lead a squad.

If I had to guess it would be someone like Kadri but more disciplined and better with the media. Willy has the personality but not the experience yet nor the fight. If Stamkos comes he takes the C immediately and I hope that's the way it goes down.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Actually, I think Kadri's new deal solidifies him as the new Captain.

Rielly is a self starter, a big gym rat, was far more focused on an all-around game at a younger age, etc. He's also the better player.

Kadri on the otherhand has needed coddling, a kick in the butt, etc. He's turning the corner, but he needed a lot of pushing to get there.

I think Rielly is the better choice. Though I also think going a year with no Captain to evaluate things is probably best. Give Rielly an A, see how he handles it.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Rielly is a self starter, a big gym rat, was far more focused on an all-around game at a younger age, etc. He's also the better player.

Kadri on the otherhand has needed coddling, a kick in the butt, etc. He's turning the corner, but he needed a lot of pushing to get there.

I think Rielly is the better choice. Though I also think going a year with no Captain to evaluate things is probably best. Give Rielly an A, see how he handles it.

Of course Rielly is 10 times the better choice for wearing any letter compared to Kadri. Dont think Ovate was serious.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Its all about protecting these young guys and not putting them in the spotlight.

like the Oilers are doing with McDavid?
...i think they already are afraid he will bolt on UFA day One, and making him Captain (which he should not be, and has not earned) will make him feel more obligated to the Oilers, or it will help Jersey sales even more than now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
like the Oilers are doing with McDavid?
...i think they already are afraid he will bolt on UFA day One, and making him Captain (which he should not be, and has not earned) will make him feel more obligated to the Oilers, or it will help Jersey sales even more than now.

McDavid is such an obvious choice for captain of the Oilers, a no-brainer if there was one.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
As the forward thinking, international team they are, the Leafs should put the K on Uncle Leo.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I really hope they don't stick the C on Rielly right now. He will most likely have some issue trying to "live up" to his new contract. What I mean is that many young guys that sign a new big money contract try to do too much at first, and it takes a bit for them to settle into it. I don't think he needs the extra pressure of being the captain of the Leafs right now.

Unless we somehow sign someone that is captain material I think the Leafs go without one for a few seasons.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
McDavid is such an obvious choice for captain of the Oilers, a no-brainer if there was one.

No, you dont make a child the captain of a team, with 4 1st overall picks on it.

how does Hall, RNH, Eberle, and the other players that had been there and suffered feel to see a kid be hailed as savior, and given the C without having played a full season in the NHL yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad