Does Rielly's new deal = New Captain???

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Was listening to Dreger on Leaf's Lunch and he was talking about how this new deal should solidify Morgan Rielly as the new Capatin.

Yay/Nay???

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
I would say he would be my first pick on the current team but I would wait until after FA in case a certain big time Canadian center comes on board.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Actually, I think Kadri's new deal solidifies him as the new Captain.

He's not a C or A character.

Rielly strikes me far more as a C or A character, extremely hard-working and humble on an off the ice.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Actually, I think Kadri's new deal solidifies him as the new Captain.

I am a Kadri fan and hope he is as successful as possible.

But the captain can't be flopping all over the place. I need a captain who stays on his feet! Kadri has a great compete level but an alleged diver can't be the capatin. Especially a TML Captain with such a historic role.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What's the rush? Let's allow the story to unfold. The suggestion of Kadri is a kind of wild idea, but, who knows, in a year, it might make perfect sense. And if it's Rielly, let him have a year with the "A" first. For that matter, if Leo has another good year, his hat is in the ring.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
They'll probably wait a year, and rightfully so, but if the named him captain before the fall I wouldnt object.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't see why his contract would have anything to do with wearing the C...or you could say the same about Kadri

No rush on naming a captain

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
... I don't think you usually make you're future 2nd line centre your captain

He's not a C or A character.

Rielly strikes me far more as a C or A character, extremely hard-working and humble on an off the ice.

I am a Kadri fan and hope he is as successful as possible.

But the captain can't be flopping all over the place. I need a captain who stays on his feet! Kadri has a great compete level but an alleged diver can't be the capatin. Especially a TML Captain with such a historic role.

Ok, clearly I needed to add a :sarcasm: to the end of my post.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Maybe, but not right now.

I say we will wait until 3 things are resolved.

1) What happens with the draft lottery

2) What happens with Stamkos

3) What happens with Tavares (seriously I am saying this)

There is no rush to have a captain for us. I think Rielly is a perfect candidate but he doesn't need to be the captain next year. Waiting a full season and letting guys grow will give us a clearer picture of who should be the captain. Then theres always the chance that a sure-fire captain becomes a Leaf too (slim, but possible) and it is right in our current time period too.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
An A would be appropriate for at least another 1-2 years.

Pretty much what I think as well .. I don't think the Leafs should give the 'C' to any player yet unless they're a bona fide top end player (i.e. if they get Stamkos). Rielly is the best candidate right now and would be naturally in line for it if he keeps progressing. Best to have a few alternates for now, but Captain Morgan is coming eventually IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pretty much what I think as well .. I don't think the Leafs should give the 'C' to any player yet unless they're a bona fide top end player (i.e. if they get Stamkos). Rielly is the best candidate right now and would be naturally in line for it if he keeps progressing. Best to have a few alternates for now, but Captain Morgan is coming eventually IMO.

Yeah

Next year I would like to see:

Komarov: A
Rielly: A
Laich: A

Might seem silly to give a guy like Laich the A, but I think he brings legitimate leadership, you could have made a case for a long time there he was deserving of the C over Ovechkin, and it would have freed up Ovechkin to just keep on scoring while Laich handled leadership stuff.

sda

Feb 18, 2008

With the way leafs fans turn on their captain no way do I want Rielly as captain. with the pressure in Toronto as intense as it is a young guy doesn't need to be burdened with the Captaincy

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Ok, clearly I needed to add a :sarcasm: to the end of my post.

Part of me thought it may have been tongue-and-cheek! My bad.

It's not an outrageous notion - if he wasn't bordering on the "pest" player label there may be a slight chance.

Maybe, but not right now.

I say we will wait until 3 things are resolved.

1) What happens with the draft lottery

2) What happens with Stamkos

3) What happens with Tavares (seriously I am saying this)

There is no rush to have a captain for us. I think Rielly is a perfect candidate but he doesn't need to be the captain next year. Waiting a full season and letting guys grow will give us a clearer picture of who should be the captain. Then theres always the chance that a sure-fire captain becomes a Leaf too (slim, but possible) and it is right in our current time period too.

If we didn't sign Stamkos then I'd be all for naming Rielly this September but there is that Tavares-possibility that says wait a year.

I do like the notion of a Drafted Canadian Kid who was one of the only beacons of hope during some dark times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad