Does no one else question..

Rufio65*

I bet people said the same think about Yzerman... Tampa Bay is laughing about it now.

Well except for the fact that Yzerman had a lesser role in the Red Wings front office for 4 years (including multiple roles with Hockey Canada). Shanahan has no front office experience at all. That's a huge difference.

Chris Chelios said it best "Shanahan is an inexperienced politician".

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Well except for the fact that Yzerman had a lesser role in the Red Wings front office for 4 years (including multiple roles with Hockey Canada). Shanahan has no front office experience at all. That's a huge difference.

Last I checked he has a Year experience as President. When does his time with us count ?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
How can someone after a full year of draft talking still can spell Hanifin wrong is beyond me..yet you have the guts to accuse the management for passing on him...i wanted Hanifin more but i am thrilled with Marner

Calm down spelling police.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I honestly think Babs is pretty much on par with Shanny when it comes to decision making. I don't think shanny can make a move without Babs nod.

Not saying that's a bad thing

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I honestly think Babs is pretty much on par with Shanny when it comes to decision making. I don't think shanny can make a move without Babs nod.

Not saying that's a bad thing

I disagree. I think we would have drafted Hanifin if that is the case.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not really concerned about the level of experience.
Restructuring takes time, but it's become pretty decisive since the end of the season.
Vision seems pretty consistent with the four/five at the top.
Put a pair of coaches in place (NHL/AHL), who by the sounds will try to establish a style of play and behaviour throughout the organization. This is the biggest key to me.
Undoing personnel moves is humming along quite nicely.
Better depth in prospect pool, and a pretty clear indication that guys will get time to develop as pros. Nicer balance of junior/European/USH prospect placement.
Playing to the manager's strengths (Dubas getting picks, Hunter scouring the globe to maximize them). Looking all over the globe without bias.
Not too much to not like.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The haven't made this type of move yet:

- Raycroft for Rask
- Steen and Coliacovo for Stempniak
- Kessel for #2 + #9 + #32 overall
- Traded a UFA for two 2nds, Signed Clarkson, Kessel, Phaneuf to bad deals

Lets see what they do.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
?

+Fired Carlyle, got Babcock, timing was everything
+Got the board to finally agree to the tear down and give a proper rebuild even if we did waste a season to get to that point across
+Made it so Kessel wasn't the focus of the team anymore, trading from a position of weakness still got good quality rebuilding pieces back for the future
+Drafted Marner

:handclap::handclap:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
why don't he just say " I'm not interested in hiring a GM" ?

seriously.

I'm saying it's a bit arrogant to think they don't need some help making these big decisions, even though they drafted well (Hunter). trading and savvy come with time. and experience is not an underrated thing with GMs. Why do you think Edmonton got Chia.

Those bringing up Yzerman 'he was groomed'. Our current group no experience at the NHL level. Like at all. It's a concern, I'm sorry that is. They should be adding to their brain trust soon. What happened to all that talk of Futa? Would be a great move. Don't see it now. Smart people have failed here because they thought they were too smart.

And I would like to know why my previous post was deleted. please pm me so I understand that is flat out weird. please/thankyou

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not concerned with Hunter making the picks. The rest I have zero knowledge to comment on.

At this stage of the rebuild they can probably get away with what they have. Really you are drafting (hunter should be strong in this area) and trading for picks and prospects- again Hunter should be a more than capable in evaluating the prospects.

Could someone with more NHL experience be able to negociate a better return on trades? that would concern me a little. The other thing that concerns me with Hunter is the old investor folly of falling in love with your investments. What does he know best the London Knights. Who does he draft the London knight, who does he acquire in the Kessel trade scott Harrington- london Knights again.

There does seem to be a reluctance to bring in any assistants with previous NHL fron office experience- that is concerning

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
and I think it is presumptive to think, because you aren't hearing anything, that they aren't doing anything. :dunno:

Shanahan barely lets anything leak out. I figure, if y'all are going to worry about it and think it's a concern, why not wait until Shanahan decides (if he decides) that he's going to name Him (Hunter, Dubas) GM,why he made that decision, and then discuss if it's right, wrong, or whatnot.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
hopefully that's true Daisy.

but indications are that they aren't even really interviewing lately and Shanny has sort to taken control. It's not that sudden a thing either. Nonis has been gone for quite some time now.

maybe they sort of know who they want and it's a timing thing. we'll see.

wulfio*

Well you have 4 guys who bring unique assets to the table. And if they're ruling by committee which they seem to be doing, I don't think anyone should be worried.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
hopefully that's true Daisy.

but indications are that they aren't even really interviewing lately and Shanny has sort to taken control. It's not that sudden a thing either. Nonis has been gone for quite some time now.

maybe they sort of know who they want and it's a timing thing. we'll see.

sorry, I apologise that sounded really snappy, I didn't mean to.

It's just that for a very long period of time now, it seems that there isn't really a "lot" of rumours "that happen to just happen" in regards to Toronto. everything is speculated, or hinted at but no one really knows anything, and it is very very quiet. then "POW" something happens.

I don't know what happened in regards to the prospects that they were interviewing, but again - the Tampa Candidates said they both wanted to stay with tampa for a while, Gorton was promoted, and I wonder if the issues in LA caused Futa not to leave or something. I don't know.

Again, the only situation I can think of that mirrors this situation is Colorado.
Sakic was simply an advisor, then he got promoted to Hockey president, then he fired Sherman and he took over. So he (to me) learned on the job, and his hockey VP is Roy, who only has QMHL experience.

For me, personally - I truly don't understand the problem. But - I respect that you do. I just figure - let tomorrow's trouble borrow tomorrow. I would rather Shanahan take his blessed time, and get the right guy (and we don't hear anything) than Shanahan rush to find someone simply to be all "Here, everyone, a GM" and it's like Bennning or JFJ or something.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I bet people said the same think about Yzerman... Tampa Bay is laughing about it now.

Yzerman had been working around Jim Nill and Ken Holland for 5 years before he left for Tampa as Vice President/Alternate Governor. He also had assembled two Team Canada rosters, one for IIHF and one for the Olympics. He had a lot of resources to learn from and got time to study the position as well as opportunities to build rosters before he left for Tampa.

Nobody in the Leafs front office has had experience operating an NHL team in any capacity. That's the fear. Junior is different, players don't have 10+ year careers in junior and making these trades requires more consideration. If the Leafs are going to make more trades like the Kessel trade which feel like (slightly) below average then that is cause for concern because if those futures you're gambling on don't produce and you can't lure in talent through free agency you're essentially going to build a team of shmucks. I'm not even hating the Kessel trade that bad, but it did seem like the Leafs blinked first and a guy like Burke or Sather would have reserved themselves to get a better deal. The only reason you make this trade is if you're impatient, cocky, or you want to sabotage the 2015-2016 season as quick as possible.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Because people with ages of front office experience worked wonders for us in the past.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Because people with ages of front office experience worked wonders for us in the past.

Do you really think being so reactionary is a good idea?

Hey you know what the last time we made the playoffs we had a 38 goal scorer and a bunch of enforcers, we should do that again becuase we made the playoffs one time because of it.

Or hey we made the playoffs 5 straight years by trading 1st and 2nd round picks over and over to get 30+ year olds to help us out. Oh wait..

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I would question it if if there was something to question. So far we have a good coach in place, we had a fantastic draft, and Kessel is gone. I suppose if you don't like Babcock, didn't like the draft, or thought teams were clamoring to give away their best talent you could make an argument. You could also head to your personal bomb shelter and wait for word on the sky actually falling. If we had a GM in place and he did those three things you'd be falling over yourselves spewing praise his way or talking about how he's just a puppet and it was all *insert whoever you want here* doing the behind the scenes legwork. I've waited 30+ years for this **** and we have 3 of the best hockey minds on the planet running the show and people still complain. :laugh:

21ByTorML12

Mar 31, 2013
Do you guys think maybe they're just throwing something to the media to chew on? i might be overthinking this but, they could very well be just grooming one of hunter or dubas while the media plays the speculation game.... or the blame game. one way this management team is gonna differ the most from previous regimes is how they handle the immense media spotlight. i believe they're playing it pretty smart.

Burke came in and was always fronting the media's often absurd line of questioning while being the guy who made all the decisions player movement wise. and when there was inevitably an issue regarding his moves he'd get in front of the cameras and defend those moves because he was the GM who just made them. Burke would in turn get heated about it, which would lead to a spat. Wilson did the same.

Dubas and hunter have been completely left alone to do they're do diligents and find us players. Shanahan hired these guys, he obviously trusts them. (whether we do is a different story) But the key is; because shanny isnt the one making the moves, hes very level headed in interviews, he doesnt have that emotional attachment to players.YET he has been pegged by everyone as THE guy making all the decisions.

Its also the reason they went after babcock, this guy is gonna be the face of the dressing room after games. Babs has said it himself make this a safe place for players. its obvious they've determined that; the pressure cooker that is toronto is hurting player development.

Its a proverbial rattle for a baby, "hey, look over here. shake shake."mean while over there, they are(hopefully) making shrewd hockey moves and actually making this team better. Sure they're not NHL experienced but they arent dumb. Personally i believe this management group is gonna have the biggest impact on this team than anyone in past 10-15 years, maybe more.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Do you really think being so reactionary is a good idea?

no but this presumes that a bunch of guys with no NHL front office experience were hired because a bunch of guys with a bunch of NHL front office experience put together some of the worst teams in franchise history.

when in reality it's just a natural counterargument to the idea that you need an experienced GM to make good personnel moves. because the execs that ran the Leafs into the ground over the past 6 years were plenty experienced.

Rufio65*

Last I checked he has a Year experience as President. When does his time with us count ?

Ok. So Shanahan has one year of experience, and in that year, under his watch, The Leafs had one of their worst seasons in franchise history. In 2 years if the Leafs miss the playoffs that means 3 straight years of losing under Brendan Shanahan. After 3 straight years of losing does that mean that Shanahan is still doing things "the right way"? Or does it mean that he's incompetent?

The great thing about sports is that the only thing matters is your record. Shanahan can talk all he wants and try and buy as much time as he wants, but at the end of the day there is only one thing that matters. If the Leafs don't make the playoffs by the end of year 3 of Shannys term then he should be fired.

Shanny has done 2 things in his tenure with the Leafs.. A lot of talking and a lot of losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00