Speculation: Does Matthews really deserve 10mil a year?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Yes he does.

And he'll be worth more than 10 in a couple years too.

Yes and yes

I think he will get the exact same or more than Tavares. Matthews is a superb talent already and he's going to get better. And I only see salaries going up since forever (the post-lockout haircut notwithstanding)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Matthews signs an 8 year deal, he's signing away most of his offensive prime. We don't know what the future dynamics of UFA will be then. Maybe like baseball, teams will finally be more reluctant to give older guys long term money based on prior performance.

I'll be happy if Dubas can lock him up at 11x8. Nylander, and to a lesser extent Marner are the ones you fight a bit more with to get their deals down.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yes he does.

And he'll be worth more than 10 in a couple years too.

Kucherov just signed for 9.5m, if we want to beat the lightening, and not have them sign the dream team and kick our asses through our throats, let's hope he signs for no more than 9.5-10.25

He seems like a smart kid who wants to win a cup, Kucherov just said he wants to win a cup and have the lightening be able to add players, the league needs more guys like that.

I think AM is and will be more special going forward, but Kucherovs resume is better at the moment.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
In Matthews rookie season he scored 40 goals and was tied for 2nd in the NHL in that category. So if Jack Eichel can get 8 years and $10 million when he's not as good, obviously Matthews deserves at least $10 million a year. In fact he should be making more than Eichel.
Buffalo doesn't set the market. LOL

McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov do. I'd say 10.5 is fair. Very fair. Especially if they do the signing bonus thing again.

Sid and Ovi are underpaid. Toews and Eichel are overpaid.

Auston will be neither.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov do. I'd say 10.5 is fair. Very fair. Especially if they do the signing bonus thing again.

Auston will be neither.
I agree I think they had to pay Jack more because Buffalo lol

Reactions: BigBlu

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I’d applaud Dubas at 10 for 34, 8 for 16 and 6 for 29. Set the tone with “Tavares left money on the table”, the greater good, shave a little here and there, suddenly you got money for one more quality D man, everyone wins.

I think $8 million is too much for Marner...maybe $7.1 million for Marner and $6.6 million for Willie...they are both wingers and RFA's.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Seems to be the going rate these days for franchise #1 centres, if Dubas can pull off 9.5 we should all be ecstatic. 10 million max is what I expect though.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No one deserves 10,000,000 except maybe a teacher or a doctor a nurse, or a social worker, but salaries are determined by a partly free market and top line centers get around that.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
doesnt really matter, it goes through your agent, they know they numbers and value and just act according to the league really, and looking at what players are getting according to their situation and production, 10 is about around what matthews gets

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it's the opposite. These are the contracts where the players should earn the most money. Matthews is a perfect example. Already established so you know he's worth the money, and the contract will bring him right through his prime. You want to pay players based on what they do now, and you can do it while relatively sure that they'll be worth that contract to the end. That's much better than how it has generally worked before, where the next contract is often the big one. That's when you pay players based on what they used to do, and where the gap between what they actually provide and what they are paid for will continue to grow.

Ideally, you'd like to see the money distribution follow the development curve. Cheap before they are established, expensive after that point through their prime, while tapering off quickly after that.

This all makes sense. The trick is though to not overpay when these star players negotiate their next contracts - still in their prime maybe but about to taper off, if they took 11 million before but now it only makes sense to pay them 7 million and only for years, those would be some tough negotiations methinks.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
i think most fans and management even would be pretty ecstatic to lock him in at 10m/yr. You will enjoy the prime years of a top 5 centre in the league with potential rising cap you dont get these kinds of players for any cheaper really..

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That AAV on a max term deal would be 3M more in total than what Tavares signed for. In any case, no complaints if that's what it would take.

Minor correction, AAV is Average Annual Value, that is, the average amount earned each year. So, the AAV on a 8 x 10M deal is 10M. It would be the total value of the contract that would be 3M more. The AAV would be 1M less.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Imo, u have to match what Tavares got. Both 11 million. Ego plays in to some degree obviously.
Nylander 6 , Marner 7.

Marner will be the biggest bargain even at 8 million. He can easily get 80 points. He lifted both Bozak and JVR to career years as a rookie and as a second year pro...turned Kadri's season around as soon as he arrived on his line.

Hopefully the Leafs can get the 4 0f them signed for 35 million. Kapanen to 2.5, Johnnson 3.5-4. They wont have issues keeping them. But Marleau has to be moved before his 3rd year with the leafs post bonus. Although why would Marleau move his young family again, to potentially a bottom feeder team thats in need to reach the cap floor.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Auston will be neither.

you do realize that Eichel and Tavares had basically identical PPG's over the last 2 years .94 and .95 so if Eichel is overpaid then did we overpay for Tavares?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad