Speculation: Does marner's get signed before Willy?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I can't imagine. Would love to be wrong, yay being wrong. But Marner knows he's going to have a big year. Why sign now when he can really make a good case for himself?

It'd be nice of course to have one of these guys say "ok, I'll be the first to take a haircut on the next contract to keep this team together", but at this point feels like everyone will have to be dragged to a decent contract kicking and screaming.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
The only rumblings/info I read said that Marner probably wouldn't negotiate during the season. And conventional wisdom says it's in his best interests to play the year and gain bargaining power if he does well.

I don't see this as a remote possibility.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Get things accomplished whenever possible, so great if Marner can get signed first. Think it's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
No way, would make the Nylander signing even harder if we went out and gave Marner ~7.5M (which is what he'd likely cost right now).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I already posted a hot take that Marner's already signed but they won't announce until after Willie's deal is done.

I think there's a bit of a chance of this happening. I could see the Leafs having contracts worked out with Matthews and Marner TBH, and are waiting to get the Nylander deal done, who is the hardest sign, and to avoid what happened with Edmonton.

I wouldn't say it's at all likely, but there's a remote chance at the very least

Reactions: Eric bungay

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No.

1) Marner's camp have already said they don't want to negotiate mid-season.

2) Marner's camp gains nothing by signing now. Their guy is about to have a huge breakout year + potential playoff run. Wait, double down on a big year, and then ask for a blank cheque from the Maple Leafs.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he was genuinely going to take a home town discount then maybe

If not then not a chance play the season put up the points

Reactions: Menzinger

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If he was genuinely going to take a home town discount then maybe

If not then not a chance play the season put up the points
I do genuinely see him as buying into the "team first" mentality, taking less money. He's a local kid who I think truly understands how important it would be to win a Cup here, and I can see him making a sacrifice to do his part. Might just be me.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Neither Marner or Matthews will sign during the season.

Why say this as an absolute? You are just guessing, nobody but the player and agent knows for sure.
I am guessing that Marner is very willing to negotiate during the season. if the team wants to get the deal done why not negotiate with the agent?
No harm in this. if Marner does want to stay long term why not get it done??

Reactions: nuck

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The reason why both Marner and Matthews are not signing until after the year os over is because this year's numbers is going to dictate their asking price.

I think Shanny's "sign for a discount" speech pissed both of them off.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
The funny thing is..why else would Ferris talk to Dubas after the game? Agents dont just go and do that all the time. I get why many say it affects Willy, but from Shannys comments yesterday, I dont know if they care. They need to lock up Marner and Matthew's for that matter when they can.

On the Nylander side, if it's TRUE he won't back off 8million I'm starting to think he doesn't play this season. As Burke said, Dubas can't back down, he has to show he means business. The only way I see it being done now is a bridge deal. I know both sides wanted LT but if Gross went move off 8m by 7yr and that means he wont play..it may be the only way to get it done

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The funny thing is..why else would Ferris talk to Dubas after the game? Agents dont just go and do that all the time. I get why many say it affects Willy, but from Shannys comments yesterday, I dont know if they care. They need to lock up Marner and Matthew's for that matter when they can.

On the Nylander side, if it's TRUE he won't back off 8million I'm starting to think he doesn't play this season. As Burke said, Dubas can't back down, he has to show he means business. The only way I see it being done now is a bridge deal. I know both sides wanted LT but if Gross went move off 8m by 7yr and that means he wont play..it may be the only way to get it done

Again Matthews and Marner are not signing until the end of the season and their point totals are in. (unless it's high 11, 9). Marner is not gonna sign until Matthews signs and then like Draisaitl will use that as a comparable based off of how his totals match up to AM.

I think we may be f***ed here.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Again Matthews and Marner are not signing until the end of the season and their point totals are in. (unless it's high 11, 9). Marner is not gonna sign until Matthews signs and then like Draisaitl will use that as a comparable based off of how his totals match up to AM.

I think we may be ****ed here.

I get what you mean. He is about to blow through his career highs. All I'm saying is an agent doesn't meet with with a GM like that for small talk. I'm sure Dubas knows Mitch is going to smash his career high, and I'm sure he would factor that in.

Nylander is a huge distraction, and he is blaming his agent, saying it's all him and Kyle. If the kid wanted to play so bad ..all he has to do is call Gross and say f this I'll do 6.75 over 6 or 7yrs. The longer it goes the worse it looks on him as a TEAM player. Look at Tampa, all there big boys took 500k to a mill less to stay together. Shanny used a bad example..should have said JT..but I think he used himself wisely in the same sense because that puts pressure on JT..unwanted attention. You dont want to compare team mates.

How William thinks he deserves more than Ehlers and Pasta ..I have no idea. DRAI contract was a dumb move by Chia and now we are paying for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad