Speculation: Does marner's get signed before Willy?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I do genuinely see him as buying into the "team first" mentality, taking less money. He's a local kid who I think truly understands how important it would be to win a Cup here, and I can see him making a sacrifice to do his part. Might just be me.

I see it too.

The difference between taking a "home town discount" now, compared to taking it next year though, is huge.

His hometown discount next season could be his starting ask this year.

Reactions: Rob Brown

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Look at Tampa, all there big boys took 500k to a mill less to stay together.
I don't know how much this played a factor but others have said because the Lightning players don't have to pay state income tax since they play in the State of Florida, that's why they sign for a little less than what they are worth.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't know how much this played a factor but others have said because the Lightning players don't have to pay state income tax since they play in the State of Florida, that's why they sign for a little less than what they are worth.

This is correct.

Because of the Florida tax situation, playing making less in AAV there, are still making more than many other markets.

It's the main reason why Tampa put together a big pitch for Tavares, even though they don't have all that much cap space to work with.

Jun 27, 2005
The reason why both Marner and Matthews are not signing until after the year os over is because this year's numbers is going to dictate their asking price.

I think Shanny's "sign for a discount" speech pissed both of them off.

Or they could get injured this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is correct.

Because of the Florida tax situation, playing making less in AAV there, are still making more than many other markets.

It's the main reason why Tampa put together a big pitch for Tavares, even though they don't have all that much cap space to work with.
It's also why they were in on the trade talks for Erik Karlsson and on the 1% chance he becomes a UFA after this season, I would not be surprised if they try to sign him.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's also why they were in on the trade talks for Erik Karlsson and on the 1% chance he becomes a UFA after this season, I would not be surprised if they try to sign him.

Yep, good point.

The trade deadline is going to be fascinating this year - I think it'll be a battle between Tampa and Toronto land an impact rental, like Panarin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yep, good point.

The trade deadline is going to be fascinating this year - I think it'll be a battle between Tampa and Toronto land an impact rental, like Panarin.
I don't see Toronto going after Panarin since he wants to play in a market like Chicago, New York or Los Angeles. Obviously Toronto is great as a Hockey city and a major market in Canada, however I think he rather be playing in a major United States market in one of those cities. So I wouldn't waste any assets to have him as a rental.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't see Toronto going after Panarin since he wants to play in a market like Chicago, New York or Los Angeles. Obviously Toronto is great as a Hockey city and a major market in Canada, however I think he rather be playing in a major United States market in one of those cities. So I wouldn't waste any assets to have him as a rental.

Marner inks first

me first willis time is done here.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
No way, would make the Nylander signing even harder if we went out and gave Marner ~7.5M (which is what he'd likely cost right now).

Why would it make the Nylander signing harder if you can ink Marner for 7.5M? Do you think Nylander wants to get paid more than Marner?

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Marner inks first

It won't happen, but if they had managed to sign Matthews for 10M - 10.5M, Marner for 75 percent of what Matthews get and Nylander 85 percent of what Marner gets, I would've been very happy.

Right now I am fearing the

12 - 12.5
9 - 9.5
7.5 - 8

scenario. Based on those numbers I hope everyone takes a 10 percent discount. The difference will be almost enough to pay a 1RD (Hainsey salary plus the savings on these contracts) which would be huge of course.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I can't imagine. Would love to be wrong, yay being wrong. But Marner knows he's going to have a big year. Why sign now when he can really make a good case for himself?

It'd be nice of course to have one of these guys say "ok, I'll be the first to take a haircut on the next contract to keep this team together", but at this point feels like everyone will have to be dragged to a decent contract kicking and screaming.

Ask Earl Thomas. Mostly likely Marner will be fine and he will have a big year, however at the end of the day every player is just one bad hit away from their career ending, or completely changing. The sooner a player signs, the easier they can breathe.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So Marner waits till the end of this year which he hopes he will do great and then ask for his contract. So if he wants 10mil and actually receive offer sheets of the same amount but won’t sign them bc he loves the Leafs while at the same time won’t accept anything under 9mil, what should Dubas do?

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Marner inks first

I agree, Willie is done in TO. There simply will not be enough money to go around. Dubas was foolish to state "we will sign all three" instead of the goal was to sign all 3. Cockiness for sure.
Time to play asset management and move the chairs around. Trade Willie now. Address the other elephant in the room. The D.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So Marner waits till the end of this year which he hopes he will do great and then ask for his contract. So if he wants 10mil and actually receive offer sheets of the same amount but won’t sign them bc he loves the Leafs while at the same time won’t accept anything under 9mil, what should Dubas do?
Thank his lucky stars he hadn't caved to Nylander's demands. The cupboard would be bare. If I was Dubas I'd do my absolute best to sign Mathews 1st, then Marner and lastly Nylander. No way would I put myself in a situation where I couldn't match a Mathews offer sheet.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This is correct.

Aren't players paid in American $$$? If yes that is a rather large advantage for players playing in Canada.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well... he will if Nylander never signs here... :S
Well if he doesn't sign by Dec. 1st (not sure if he can play in the SHL), then the Leafs will have all 3 to sign at the same time. Changes the scope for Nylander here for sure.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
But Marner knows he's going to have a big year. Why sign now when he can really make a good case for himself?
Injury risk ? If Marner has a career ending injury today he gets nothing forever.
He's making Intact Insurance money ?
He doesnt want to be traded like Nylander ?

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Marner signing first likely scales up Nylander's ask. The Draisaitl Effect.
No it doesn't. In this situation it will help us. If Marner signs for 7.5 Mil then theres no way possible Nylander could get more than that.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
So Marner waits till the end of this year which he hopes he will do great and then ask for his contract. So if he wants 10mil and actually receive offer sheets of the same amount but won’t sign them bc he loves the Leafs while at the same time won’t accept anything under 9mil, what should Dubas do?[/QUOTE]

Consult HF posters. :sarcasm:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I don't see how Marner doesn't sit as well.

Especially with the fan base and media marketing him to have as much as a 1 mil gap compared to Nylander.

If anything Marner's negotiations will be even harder than Will's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad