Speculation: Does marner's get signed before Willy?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't see Toronto going after Panarin since he wants to play in a market like Chicago, New York or Los Angeles. Obviously Toronto is great as a Hockey city and a major market in Canada, however I think he rather be playing in a major United States market in one of those cities. So I wouldn't waste any assets to have him as a rental.

That's why he'd be a rental. The very definition of a rental is someone you bring in, short-term.

Boyle and Plekanec were rentals.

AnCatDubh

Jan 18, 2017
Sens fan here in peace.

I've been looking into this a bit and have found some interesting data related to bonus framework and taxes.

With front-loading the contacts and paying out most of the $$$ as bonuses, the Canadian teams are potentially levelling the playing field. This is due to how bonus payments are taxed differently than standard income. NOTE: would love for an actual tax accountant to clear this up properly but here is my best attempt at showing the impact on the Tavares contract:

Capture.jpg

Essentially, Bonus is taxed at 35% vs. standard income at 53%. Plus, by front-loading players get benefit of interest on the money in hand now vs. later. You can see more about how I got here in this thread.

Just so it's clear. Not complaining about big-market advantage here. Simply interested in how the contract mechanics are actually impacting player decisions on where to sign. If all the big markets start paying out contracts as bonus to give players more money...it's a league issue. Not the players or markets fault.

That’s not how taxes work. It would all be taxed at 53% (at least most of would be after their incomes exceed the lower rates of tax). It doesn’t matter if its a salary or bonus. It would be taxed the same. That being said, the tax issue is really over hyped. There are ways in Canada for NHL players to reduce their tax exposure (Retirement Compensation Arrangements, tax residency etc.) and players in no tax states still need to pay income tax when they play road games. At the end of the day the gap between Ontario and Florida isn’t as big as it looks.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
That’s not how taxes work. It would all be taxed at 53% (at least most of would be after their incomes exceed the lower rates of tax). It doesn’t matter if its a salary or bonus. It would be taxed the same. That being said, the tax issue is really over hyped. There are ways in Canada for NHL players to reduce their tax exposure (Retirement Compensation Arrangements, tax residency etc.) and players in no tax states still need to pay income tax when they play road games. At the end of the day the gap between Ontario and Florida isn’t as big as it looks.

Lol. Yes and no.

I think your right on the Canadian taxes but it may be that the bonus is tied to taxes on the US side.

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Last edited:

AnCatDubh

Jan 18, 2017
It’s an interesting article, although it makes tax residency seem too simple. Its not that easy to do in real life.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Apparently Marners agent was spotted talking to Kyle post game. The way nylander talks seem be going..does marner's ink a deal first?

Marner's agent has said they are not negotiating during the season, so no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->