Does Marchand deserve to finish top 3 in Hart voting?

what do you think?

• Total voters

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Is that a joke? You can't possibly say that and 'use your eyes' in the same post. OMG. Marchand's ability to retrieve, turnover and retain pucks is generational. There isn't a Bruins fan alive who thinks anyone other than Marchand 'drives' his line.

Marchand on any other line wouldn't be half as good a player. Same goes for all of them on that line. It's a "group effort" all the way........it's not Marchand.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
It's going to be McDavid winning it, so it's academic. Matthews this year is doing exactly what Pasta did last year and that didn't even get a nomination, but the Toronto media loves him, so he'll be #2.

For third, I don't see who could be ahead of Marchand. Kane has fallen off and so has his team. Drai gets penalized because he's riding with McDavid. Panarin is really hot but the Rangers are in really tough to make the playoffs and he missed 25% of the season.

The competition is Mackinnon and Scheifele but I don't see how you can have them ahead of Marchand right now. He is outscoring both 24-17 and has 6 shorthanded points to 0 for the others. If defensive play counts for anything, it's easily Marchand but we all know it's a reputation award and the media hates Brad so he won't get a nomination. Zero chance.

Crosby

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Matthews is a Centre who drives his line and yes, scores a million goals(64 in his last 82 games played). And he plays a good two-way game.

Marchand is damn good, but relies on his linemates to drive the line, does not play the much harder Centre position, and doesn't come that close in the goals dept.

You can base it all on "points" but that's not what makes a player better than another player. Use your eyeballs.

Also........any ranking, anywhere on the planet, has Matthews ahead of Marchand. So THAT'S good too. ;)
I stopped reading after you said March doesn’t drive the best line in hockey... is that a joke? He is the bruins beat player and clearly drives that line. Do you not watch any bruins games??

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I stopped reading after you said March doesn’t drive the best line in hockey... is that a joke? He is the bruins beat player and clearly drives that line. Do you not watch any bruins games??

Yup. And I see a good trio, working hard........but NOT Marchand driving it.

Do you watch any hockey OTHER than the Bruins? Doesn't seem like it.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
he wont finish top 5 ... Great player, but playing on the best line in the league doesnt help his chances

McDavid
Draisaitl
Matthews
Kane
MacKinnon
Hedman

Barkov/Panarin/Stone/Marchand/Crosby

Vasilevskiy has a better case than Hedman this year IMO. He should be in contention for a nomination. It's rare for a goalie but his numbers have been that good this year.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

member 96824

Marchand on any other line wouldn't be half as good a player. Same goes for all of them on that line. It's a "group effort" all the way........it's not Marchand.

This is honestly true for Pastrnak and Bergeron, and we've seen that when they're taken away from #63, they're borderline atrocious(especially Pastrnak), but it's not true for Marchand...which we've also seen when away from the others. Marchand is the straw that stirs the drink and it almost hasn't really mattered who his linemates are the last few years.

When Marchand sits the entire Bruins team looks like an AHL squad. It's pretty shocking.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

member 96824

Vasilevskiy has a better case than Hedman this year IMO. He should be in contention for a nomination. It's rare for a goalie but his numbers have been that good this year.

This is where the conversation goes a bit off the rails and you start talking about "most valuable" vs. "best season"

I'd take Vas and Hellebuyck as the most VALUABLE player before a lot of the forwards in the running, but that would never happen of course because it's mostly just "sort table by points"

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Marchand is the most underrated player of the past ~four years.

He might be, but he also has the absolute best linemate support in the league though. Bergeron's 2-way ability and versatility combined with Pastrnak's offense - it's such a great line.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
This is where the conversation goes a bit off the rails and you start talking about "most valuable" vs. "best season"

I'd take Vas and Hellebuyck as the most VALUABLE player before a lot of the forwards in the running, but that would never happen of course because it's mostly just "sort table by points"

This is fair, with Price being the obvious exception. Vasi's numbers have fallen to be more in line with typical Vezina winners of the 2010's, and scoring is down in his division as well. He would have to bring his SV% back up to the mid-.930's to have a chance.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Why is Marchand the only one who gets penalized for having good line-mates? Every player you listed plays with other elite players.
I would say Kane and Panarin don't (at least this year), but it's not an inaccurate point here.

All said I'd probably have Marchand as a finalist unless by some miracle Chicago or the Rangers make the playoffs, then it's Kane or Panarin respectively.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Yes he deserves it imo.
He will not finish top-3 in the voting though.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
MacKinnon missed 4 games though, he's not behind in games played due to the schedule. Those hurt his value, they don't add to it. The Avs have also been pretty incredible as a team and Rantanen has arguably been better. I'm not sure MacKinnon should be among the handful of leaders right now.
What I'm saying is he missed 4 games but he's still produced just as much as Marchand. Missing 4 games doesn't diminish his value lol missing 20 would but not 4. Also if you're going to compare these players it's kind of hard to fault either player in this comparison because both play with amazing linemates.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What I'm saying is he missed 4 games but he's still produced just as much as Marchand. Missing 4 games doesn't diminish his value lol missing 20 would but not 4. Also if you're going to compare these players it's kind of hard to fault either player in this comparison because both play with amazing linemates.

I just don't see the argument for MacKinnon over Marchand right now. Brad is on PK1 and has 6 shorthanded points and has only been scored on 6 times on the kill.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Yup. And I see a good trio, working hard........but NOT Marchand driving it.

Do you watch any hockey OTHER than the Bruins? Doesn't seem like it.
I’ve been watching hockey since I was five and watch center ice every night but good try. Just say you don’t like brad and move on because posting that bull when ever number and advance stat say otherwise

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
He might be, but he also has the absolute best linemate support in the league though. Bergeron's 2-way ability and versatility combined with Pastrnak's offense - it's such a great line.
Omg I’m so sick of reading this non sense you people act like the elite players don’t play with other elite players it’s ridiculous brad has arguably been the best player in hockey over the last 4-5 years it’s crazy when all the stats are right their to see. He is also the best player on the bruins he makes bergy and pasta better it’s not the other way around

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I’ve been watching hockey since I was five and watch center ice every night but good try. Just say you don’t like brad and move on because posting that bull when ever number and advance stat say otherwise

Congratulations. I've been watching(and playing) since the 70's. We should both win cookies or something.

As for the original topic.........no Hart votes for Marchand.

As much as you Bruins fans might try to overrate him, he's just "very good". And at his age, that won't be for much longer, either.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Congratulations. I've been watching(and playing) since the 70's. We should both win cookies or something.

As for the original topic.........no Hart votes for Marchand.

As much as you Bruins fans might try to overrate him, he's just "very good". And at his age, that won't be for much longer, either.
You'd think you'd be able to contribute more than juvenile dumb posts with all that experience. If you cant see what Marchand contributes that Matthews cant, then you dont watch enough or just think your cute by bashing Marchand.

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
Does it really matter?

tenor.gif

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If you cant see what Marchand contributes that Matthews cant, then you dont watch enough or just think your cute by bashing Marchand.

Sigh. Kids.

I never said Marchand wasn't good. Only that it's RIDICULOUS to call him better than Auston Matthews, and most would agree with me. Matthews has taken it to another level and is a top 4 or 5 player in this league now. Marchand......as good as he is.......is not that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad