Does Marchand deserve to finish top 3 in Hart voting?

what do you think?

• Total voters

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's going to be McDavid winning it, so it's academic. Matthews this year is doing exactly what Pasta did last year and that didn't even get a nomination, but the Toronto media loves him, so he'll be #2.

For third, I don't see who could be ahead of Marchand. Kane has fallen off and so has his team. Drai gets penalized because he's riding with McDavid. Panarin is really hot but the Rangers are in really tough to make the playoffs and he missed 25% of the season.

The competition is Mackinnon and Scheifele but I don't see how you can have them ahead of Marchand right now. He is outscoring both 24-17 and has 6 shorthanded points to 0 for the others. If defensive play counts for anything, it's easily Marchand but we all know it's a reputation award and the media hates Brad so he won't get a nomination. Zero chance.

Reactions: slapKing

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
he wont finish top 5 ... Great player, but playing on the best line in the league doesnt help his chances

McDavid
Draisaitl
Matthews
Kane
MacKinnon
Hedman

Barkov/Panarin/Stone/Marchand/Crosby

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He certainly has a case but I'm not sure if he's distinguished himself enough from the pack. Boston missing games early leading to him being out of the top 10 in scoring for most of the year and the team in general being much worse than last year will probably hurt him in actual voting as well.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
He should be close right now hes 4th to me the filthy beast. I guess the media wont put him in the top 5 tho

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
McDavid is the only one who is 100% ahead of him. After that there are enough players close enough to him (Drai, Matthews, Kane, Panarin, MacK) that his reputation will probably keep him out.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
It's going to be McDavid winning it, so it's academic. Matthews this year is doing exactly what Pasta did last year and that didn't even get a nomination, but the Toronto media loves him, so he'll be #2.

For third, I don't see who could be ahead of Marchand. Kane has fallen off and so has his team. Drai gets penalized because he's riding with McDavid. Panarin is really hot but the Rangers are in really tough to make the playoffs and he missed 25% of the season.

The competition is Mackinnon and Scheifele but I don't see how you can have them ahead of Marchand right now. He is outscoring both 24-17 and has 6 shorthanded points to 0 for the others. If defensive play counts for anything, it's easily Marchand but we all know it's a reputation award and the media hates Brad so he won't get a nomination. Zero chance.
But he's only 2 points ahead of MacKinnon and has played 3 more games. I feel like using goals was a veiled attempt to prop up his case.

McDavid

MacKinnon
Matthews
Draisaitl

Sort the 2nd group however you please.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But he's only 2 points ahead of MacKinnon and has played 3 more games. I feel like using goals was a veiled attempt to prop up his case.

McDavid

MacKinnon
Matthews
Draisaitl

Sort the 2nd group however you please.

MacKinnon missed 4 games though, he's not behind in games played due to the schedule. Those hurt his value, they don't add to it. The Avs have also been pretty incredible as a team and Rantanen has arguably been better. I'm not sure MacKinnon should be among the handful of leaders right now.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Matthews is not better than Marchand. Come on.

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Panarin
Marchand
Kane

Could be arranged in any order outside of #1. Then we can start talking about Matthews.

Reactions: Foppberg

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

To the bolded. That's not really fair to put it that way. Both Mack and Panarin definitely deserved a nod above Pastrnak last year. This year - although many players are having good seasons, no one after McDavid (and maybe Drai, but hart voters have trouble with teammates) is having as good a season this year as Panarin/Mack last year. Also - Matthews himself is doing better vs competition than Pastrnak did for goals. Finally - Matthews is best player on his team. Pastrnak gets a ton of help from Marchand/Bergeron (and, not just offense support like a Marner, but they're both beasts 2-way), so it puts him in a more advantageous position.

So - you can make some comparisons maybe with both being goal scorers, but to me as of today Matthews deserves to be a hart finalist in 2021 more than Pastrnak did in 2020, for all of those reasons. If season ended today, he'd be my #2 pick after McDavid. And to say "it's just because of Toronto media" isn't really fair.

As for the rest - it'll really come down to how season finishes. Marchand could have a case - but Bergeron/Pastrnak being such a solid duo he plays with - and Boston having such a strong reputation as a top team - likely will hurt him in the votes. Plus - he's a rat.

Other strong candidates to be finalists depending on how season ends include Mack, Barkov, Drai, Kane, Crosby, Stone, Panarin. I think the top 3 comes from this group, I'd be shocked to see anyone else.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I think he deserves it, but doubt he gets it. People penalising him for the line he is on should realise that Pasta is not playing well this year and if that line is still the best in the league than it is largely thanks to Marchand.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Matthews is not better than Marchand. Come on.

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Panarin
Marchand
Kane

Could be arranged in any order outside of #1. Then we can start talking about Matthews.

LMAO. Uh, no.

Matthews is indeed "better" than Marchand, and also a few players from your little list.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
LMAO. Uh, no.

Matthews is indeed "better" than Marchand, and also a few players from your little list.
Lmao no he isn’t just stop because nothing will back that up. The only and I mean only thing AM does better is score goals. He doesn’t come close to him in points and is by far the best two way winger in the lead. I’ll debate this all day with you because you have no leg to stand on

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lmao no he isn’t just stop because nothing will back that up. The only and I mean only thing AM does better is score goals. He doesn’t come close to him in points and is by far the best two way winger in the lead. I’ll debate this all day with you because you have no leg to stand on

Matthews is a Centre who drives his line and yes, scores a million goals(64 in his last 82 games played). And he plays a good two-way game.

Marchand is damn good, but relies on his linemates to drive the line, does not play the much harder Centre position, and doesn't come that close in the goals dept.

You can base it all on "points" but that's not what makes a player better than another player. Use your eyeballs.

Also........any ranking, anywhere on the planet, has Matthews ahead of Marchand. So THAT'S good too. ;)

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Matthews is a Centre who drives his line and yes, scores a million goals(64 in his last 82 games played). And he plays a good two-way game.

Marchand is damn good, but relies on his linemates to drive the line,
does not play the much harder Centre position, and doesn't come that close in the goals dept.

You can base it all on "points" but that's not what makes a player better than another player. Use your eyeballs.

Also........any ranking, anywhere on the planet, has Matthews ahead of Marchand. So THAT'S good too. ;)

Is that a joke? You can't possibly say that and 'use your eyes' in the same post. OMG. Marchand's ability to retrieve, turnover and retain pucks is generational. There isn't a Bruins fan alive who thinks anyone other than Marchand 'drives' his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad