Speculation: Does Lucic want out of Edmonton?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I bet he does. But he signed a contract and declined to the point the only way he gets out is if he gets bought out. His contract is a disaster for the Oilers and I can’t help but just feel sympathetic for Oilers fans. In Montreal we have Alzner but atleast the contract isn’t so bad that we can’t buy it out. I need the Oilers to rebound so I have my bandwagon team back.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably but even if he does and the Oilers also want him gone it still takes another team to want him

it's gonna cost the Oilers quite a bit if they want to get rid of him with how ugly his contract is

maybe if they wait it out a couple years and he rebounds slightly they can get rid of him on the tail end of it when he's got less term left without paying an arm and a leg

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LOL. Who wants Lucic at any price? Trade him for Loui Eriksson, another overpaid dinosaur?

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
they will both mutually agree to part ways; you watch as it will happen.....after his bonus

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The solution is simple - if Looch wants out that bad. Trade him to Ottawa for Ryan, but with some crafty maneuvering to entice Melnyk.

Before July 1st

To EDM: Ryan

To OTT: Future Considerations

After July 1st (and Looch’s 3mil bonus is paid)

Future Considerations become Lucic

Oilers end up paying for both players bonuses. We essentially pay 25.5 mil for 3 years of Ryan, the Sens pay 16 mil for 4 years of Looch. We do increase our cap by 1.25 mil, but get a guy who can still play 2RW.

Reactions: TFHockey

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Can the Oil really afford to have him negatively effect the depth of the team and go 2 more yrs of no success for McDavid without having McDavid saying enough is enough

I don’t see that they have many other options unless they decide to attach something very nice to him to coax another team into taking the worst contract in the league.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Does a team take Lucic for Edmonton's next two first rounders? Think it would be something like that.

What a ridiculous comment. I keep reading how fans think it'll take 8 OA or multiple 1sts like this guy... ask yourselves if there has ever been a trade like that in the history of the NHL. Answer? Never.

Edmonton won't have to give up a first to move Lucic. I also think if Eriksson is the return we won't have to add anything higher than a 4th. That guy sucks. Say what you like about Lucic but at least he doesn't blame the coach for his crap play. He owns it. He at least is accountable. Eriksson? Please.... I Don't see eye to eye with the coach. Yeah no kidding. What a waste of a uniform.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
they will both mutually agree to part ways; you watch as it will happen.....after his bonus

I doubt he leaves $16M on the table. Oilers are going to have to buy him out before the expansion draft if they can't find a taker in a trade where Lucic will accept a trade too.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lucic sucks but he was also set up for failure. Only an idiot would think putting the slowest forward in the league with the fastest would be a good fit.

And Yet Maroon worked with McDavid and he is just as slow . So who the idiot again ?

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Yes he does. He wants out. Period.

Source: Lucic himself. I have mutual friends who've spoken to him of late at a party. He had quite a bit to say about the situation and it showed on the ice but I don't think I should have to elaborate.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Source: Lucic himself. I have mutual friends who've spoken to him of late at a party. He had quite a bit to say about the situation and it showed on the ice but I don't think I should have to elaborate.
He will be a boat anchor wherever he goes. What specifically is the reason he wants out? Can you shed any light?

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Lucic and Brent Seabrook are 2 horrible contracts that nobody in their right mind are going to take on.

The 3 best solutions are
Retire
Buyout
Last but not least retain 50% of salary while trading away , high prospects and picks.

I'm not sure any team that is in a rebuild stage is willing to take on these contracts unless they need to hit the floor.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Fax??? What year are you living in?

If the NHL is still using faxes in this day and age, then no wonder it can't market the game.

Exhibit 3 to the Collective Bargaining Agreement provides that in the event email is not possible (e.g. no internet service) the default notice mechanism for notices to the league, Central Registry, NHL clubs, the NHLPA, players and agents is via facsimile. My guess is that rather than take a chance on email failing, most NHL notices are sent by both email and fax. If it were 11:56 and you needed to send a notice of, for example, waiver claim or trade by 12:00, it would be silly to just send it by email and risk getting a bounceback that didn't arrive until after the notice period expired.

I still get the occasional undelivered email message that doesn't come immediately.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I have no reason to disbelieve you. But I bet he does not want out bad enough to void that whale of a contract despite the fact he's made north of $40 million between his bridge deals and the first 3 years of his current deal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I have no reason to disbelieve you. But I bet he does not want out bad enough to void that whale of a contract despite the fact he's made north of $40 million between his bridge deals and the first 3 years of his current deal.
I don't think voiding contracts is a thing anyway. Lou probably would have when he wanted out of Vancouver and nobody was interested in taking him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The solution is simple - if Looch wants out that bad. Trade him to Ottawa for Ryan, but with some crafty maneuvering to entice Melnyk.

Before July 1st

Oilers end up paying for both players bonuses. We essentially pay 25.5 mil for 3 years of Ryan, the Sens pay 16 mil for 4 years of Looch. We do increase our cap by 1.25 mil, but get a guy who can still play 2RW.

Oilers say no. They save no money and Ryan's contract is as bad a lucic. 7.5 a year for 3 more seasons after this one?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Before July 1st

I think that's what it would take for them to consider it.

I would do it from an Oilers perspective. A little pain now cap wise but a clear upgrade.

Not sure if Milan would waive.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

I never said nothing about voiding his contract. He got paid and he wants what he's owed. He just wants s fresh start somewhere else.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Well yeah I got that but if Lucic thinks anyone is gonna take him for what he's making he's nuts.

He has his contract signed already. I really don't think he cares much at this point because he will be getting paid no matter what. It would just be nice to go to work everyday where people care and actually think they have a chance at winning a game every now and then without constant negativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad