Does Jimmy retire or go to the minors?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I can't ever remember Howard being "overrated". Guy has never been given his due, constantly being berated by fans. Just look around these boards, where are you seeing all this Howard "love"?

Howard was a solid to good goalie from 9-10 to 12-13.
He was weak to solid from 13-14 to 18-19.
He's making Hardy f***ing Astrom and Jiri Cyrha look decent right now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Being given playing time does make you overrated.

He's been overrated since his contract kicked in.
Look at the numbers.
People in these groups talked about him like he was good or even great.

I think part of the reason why he's overrated is because he has traditionally started so well. When you start well, your numbers are great for awhile.
So even when you suck later, your numbers never really reflect your suckage.

So he's sitting at .930 on Thanksgiving or something and everyone's like, wow, Jimmy's great. Then he sucks the rest of the way and ends up at .909.

For example, if Jimmy Howard did it the opposite way, and sucked for 6 weeks and was at .880 on Thanksgiving, people would hate him. Then he'd gradually improve and get to .909.

In one situation... people see that .930 stat for 8 weeks and he never gets below .909.
In the other... people see that .880 stat for 8 weeks and he never gets above .909.

In one situation, people talk about him as an all-star.
In the other, he's Jonathan Bernier.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Then you don't understand my point.

It was a defensive, low-scoring series because that's how it was coached.

I'd put Howard's second half of that series in my top 5 for why the Wings lost that series.

He wasn't the MAIN reason. But his second half of that series was a factor. He couldn't lock it down. Same thing happened earlier in his career.
The premise being discussed is that he collapsed a 3-1 lead. He did that.

Him not playing as well and it being a factor to the Wings losing doesn't address the premise, it skirts around it.

Do you agree with the premise that Howard himself surrendered a 3-1 lead and lost the series?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The premise being discussed is that he collapsed a 3-1 lead. He did that.

Him not playing as well and it being a factor to the Wings losing doesn't address the premise, it skirts around it.

Do you agree with the premise that Howard himself surrendered a 3-1 lead and lost the series?

Of course not.
But it doesn't reflect well on Howard either.
Howard finds a way to win another game and he might have a legacy worth caring about.

As I said, I hang that series around Babcock's neck.
Yeah, we were old. Yeah, Chicago had more dynamic talent.
Still. Datsyuk was healthy. Zetterberg was healthy. Properly utilized, they win that series.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Of course not.
Then what the hell are we even talking about? I'm not campaigning Howard as the greatest of great goalies who never did anything wrong and never had a bad game in that series.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
how is Howard "overrated"?

he never got any respect around here even when he was one of the best Goalies in the league,if anything historically he's been incredibly underrated(and is pretty appropriately rated nowadays)

Exactly, He had a solid career despite the fact the team in font of him was slowly getting worse.

He is well past his best before date but much of the chastising going on during a lost season is pretty pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShelbyZ

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He's been overrated since his contract kicked in.
Look at the numbers.
People in these groups talked about him like he was good or even great.

I think part of the reason why he's overrated is because he has traditionally started so well. When you start well, your numbers are great for awhile.
So even when you suck later, your numbers never really reflect your suckage.

So he's sitting at .930 on Thanksgiving or something and everyone's like, wow, Jimmy's great. Then he sucks the rest of the way and ends up at .909.

For example, if Jimmy Howard did it the opposite way, and sucked for 6 weeks and was at .880 on Thanksgiving, people would hate him. Then he'd gradually improve and get to .909.

In one situation... people see that .930 stat for 8 weeks and he never gets below .909.
In the other... people see that .880 stat for 8 weeks and he never gets above .909.

In one situation, people talk about him as an all-star.
In the other, he's Jonathan Bernier.

I’m sorry, but I just don’t see it. I agree that jimmy starts great, typically gets hurt then does a 180, but I don’t see him get much love on boards like this. Maybe a couple people, but I see much more hate towards him then kindness.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Keeping your job when you don't deserve it does. If country club Holland wasn't here Howard would have bounced around the NHL....

What I'm sour about is that Howard was playing well and Mrazek was struggling.
We could have kept Mrazek and gotten MORE than a third for Howard.
Our goaltending situation would have been good enough to get through the next couple years with Mrazek/Bernier.

And we'd have had a good pick.

But again. Over and done.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Howard is the wings most overrated goal of all time AIAEC. The guy made it to the second round a few times. His best season he collapsed a 3-1 lead to the Blackhawks in the second round. Waive him and let the Oilers claim him.

I do agree that it seems Howard is no longer capable of NHL caliber play and needs to go. However, the mantle of most overrated Red Wings goalie of all time is Osgood and there's nobody that will be dethroning him in that regard. Osgood was a very average NHL goalie with some all-time great teams playing in front of him. Take him in his prime and put him in front of this Wings team and he'd look like garbage too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I'm sour about is that Howard was playing well and Mrazek was struggling.
We could have kept Mrazek and gotten MORE than a third for Howard.
Our goaltending situation would have been good enough to get through the next couple years with Mrazek/Bernier.

And we'd have had a good pick.

But again. Over and done.

I thought there were some articles from Detroit media that came out after the trade that said they tried to trade both, but ultimately dealt Mrazek because he had more interest/worth from other teams.

Am I remembering that wrong?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I’m sorry, but I just don’t see it. I agree that jimmy starts great, typically gets hurt then does a 180, but I don’t see him get much love on boards like this. Maybe a couple people, but I see much more hate towards him then kindness.

Maybe not here. Go to reddit and criticize him.
Before this year, you'd have been downvoted to hell.
Lots of fans love Jimmy Howard.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I thought there were some articles from Detroit media that came out after the trade that said they tried to trade both, but ultimately dealt Mrazek because he had more interest/worth from other teams.

Am I remembering that wrong?

I don't think Detroit wanted to trade Howard because Blashill/Holland still had hope for the playoffs. Part of the Holland delusional era.

The Wings looked at trading Howard in one off-season after he was terrible, but couldn't move him.

Unofficially, the rumor was Blash/Mrazek's relationship made it super unlikely Mrazek could stick in Detroit.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
I don't think Detroit wanted to trade Howard because Blashill/Holland still had hope for the playoffs. Part of the Holland delusional era.

The Wings looked at trading Howard in one off-season after he was terrible, but couldn't move him.

Unofficially, the rumor was Blash/Mrazek's relationship made it super unlikely Mrazek could stick in Detroit.

Mrazek was very inconsistent here, too, in addition to the personality issues. Even in Philly he was not good all the time. His play has improved the last couple of seasons.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Mrazek was very inconsistent here, too, in addition to the personality issues. Even in Philly he was not good all the time. His play has improved the last couple of seasons.

That's all we need at the moment.
Mrazek doesn't make this team win.
But he wouldn't go 2-16-2 with a GAA of 4.26 or whatever.

Reactions: 2xJack

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
That's all we need at the moment.
Mrazek doesn't make this team win.
But he wouldn't go 2-16-2 with a GAA of 4.26 or whatever.

I agree completely. I'm just saying that the Mrazek we moved on from is not the same Mrazek the Canes have now. It sure would be nice to have a 27 year old goalie in his prime right now.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Howard was a solid to good goalie from 9-10 to 12-13.
He was weak to solid from 13-14 to 18-19.
He's making Hardy ****ing Astrom and Jiri Cyrha look decent right now.

Howard needed someone who could share the work load a bit more evenly. Having to play 60 games in 17/18 and then 55 games last season may have hastened his current fall.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Maybe not here. Go to reddit and criticize him.
Before this year, you'd have been downvoted to hell.
Lots of fans love Jimmy Howard.

Outside of maybe on thread when LGW.com was down, I've never been on Reddit for anything Wings related. Based on this site and the aforementioned site, I'd say he has always been a scapegoat for when this team lost, and has never been given his due.

Chicago series is a perfect example that you cited earlier, Howard definitely contributed to the loss, but he wasn't THE reason why we lost.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Once the streak was over, I never got the impression that this was the case. All indicators pointed towards ownership giving the greenlight for a real re-build at that point.

When Mrazek was traded, I remember Jimmy was being shopped around as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad