Does Jimmy retire or go to the minors?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Here is the problem.
Greatest? Great?
Howard is not a very good or a good goalie
When all is said and done I do not think he can be described as a good one.

Howard is extremely overrated. Howard is probably liked by 90% of the posters on this board. It is max 5% of the posters who criticise him.
I am probably the lone poster who have criticised and bashed Howard the last 3-5 years.

I apologise to all the posters, it seems like 90% of the board love the guy. I am not a d,,head. But there is no way around it. He is the worst starter in the league

Maybe I should just let it go.

Do a poll, you never now, but I'd be shocked if that's the result you get.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Do a poll, you never now, but I'd be shocked if that's the result you get.
What for?

I wrote I am the only one criticising him and then we have 3 posters defending Howard, which makes it 75% instead 90%.
Howard is loved by 95% of the posters on this board. So I guess I should be a gentleman and just shut up and let people love whomever they want.

All I have to say that Howard was rushed in his development (he was expected ta bail the team in the playoffs too early), forced to play back to back games.

I hope he finds his game and win some by the end of the season and leave the game with some nice moments.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What for?

I wrote I am the only one criticising him and then we have 3 posters defending Howard, which makes it 75% instead 90%.
Howard is loved by 95% of the posters on this board. So I guess I should be a gentleman and just shut up and let people love whomever they want.

All I have to say that Howard was rushed in his development (he was expected ta bail the team in the playoffs too early), forced to play back to back games.

I hope he finds his game and win some by the end of the season and leave the game with some nice moments.

Dude, Howard was like 25 before he became an NHL starter.
He wasn't rushed. He basically played four years in Grand Rapids.

He just wasn't very quick. He never had the athleticism to be a truly good goalie.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What for?

I dont think you should shut up, this is a message board where we all share our opinions about a team we all care about. I may not agree with your opinion, but you have every right to give it. My point is that if you did a poll, I highly doubt the result would be that 90% love Howard.

Reactions: Mlotek

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Dude, Howard was like 25 before he became an NHL starter.
He wasn't rushed. He basically played four years in Grand Rapids.

He just wasn't very quick. He never had the athleticism to be a truly good goalie.
And Datsyuk was 23.
How old was Thomas?

Howard was rushed to carry the team in the playoffs. That is my opinion, not a fact.

Howard was forced to play back to back games. That is the fact.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And Datsyuk was 23.
How old was Thomas?

Howard was rushed to carry the team in the playoffs. That is my opinion, not a fact.

I guess if that's what you think.
I never thought he was rushed at all.

Yeah, he had to sink or swim as a starter because Ozzie was broken down. But he was 25. If he couldn't do it, then man, he wasn't going to be Red Wing.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
And Datsyuk was 23.
How old was Thomas?

In regards to when a player was given their first opportunity to start, Thomas at 32 was probably the biggest outlier of all time.
Its not being fair to cite him, with that logic every goalie in the history of the NHL started too early.

Reactions: Oddbob

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
And Datsyuk was 23.
How old was Thomas?

I don't know if "rushed" is the right word here, but I see where you are going...

In a near perfect world, Howard probably should've had a couple years in the NHL as a back up to round his game out. But due to Osgood bombing the regular season and then being perpetually injured, the ill advised Conklin 2.0 signing, Joey MacDonald and Jonas Gustavsson's injuries the Wings basically ran Jimmy Howard into the ground for his first 4 full seasons in the NHL. Is there an argument that that usage might have affected his development? Possibly. But I don't think it was rushed. He was giving them the best chance to win, so he was given the starting job and got the call for the playoffs. Same thing they did with Mrazek a few years later.

Reactions: kliq

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And Datsyuk was 23.
How old was Thomas?

It isn't that he was rushed... it's that the Wings never had anything resembling a competent AND healthy backup. Any backup who was good got hurt a bunch. Anyone who played consistently were on their last legs in the NHL. And with Howard's own injury issues, both he and Mrazek got the short stick in that neither was the true #1G after 13-14. So you then had Howard rushing back to try to steal his job back, Mrazek looking over his shoulder all the time, and both kinda griping at one another. Then, by the time Mrazek was traded out of town, Howard had slowed down enough to truly be bad.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
4.26 GAA and .876 Save % and we are still DEFENDING this guy???!!! The team sucks sure. He sucks JUST AS MUCH if not more! Period.

AA is a minus/GP and more and you defend him, what is the difference? Also, there is a difference between defending Howard, or more what is actually going on, not over-doing how "bad" he was. Howard has never been ranked by much of anyone among the Top 10 goalies or even Top 15 really, and he has taken a lot of flack when we were still making the playoffs, even though our core was no longer what it was by the time Howard had moved to #1 goalie. Howard for the most part of his career has been a solid starting goaltender, not some AHL tweener who shouldn't be in the league.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
ties Patrick Roy in 40-save games.

upload_2020-1-21_18-46-54.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Guy always finds new ways to lose. Career loser

Avs game was not Jimmy's fault and not even close to it. That game would have been 6 or 7 goals against at the half-way point if Jimmy hadn't been good, which he was in that game. The team was brutal defensively in this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad