Does Jim Benning deserve a contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
how may that have been achieved exactly?

How the **** do you think? By drafting, signing or trading for a suitable replacement. Which...oh yeah, Benning thought he was doing by making it rain draft picks for Sutter.

*edit* Being a fan of Benning you might not be aware of this, but good players can actually come to this team via trades not just leave it.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
How the **** do you think? By drafting, signing or trading for a suitable replacement. Which...oh yeah, Benning thought he was doing by making it rain draft picks for Sutter.

McDavid? Matthews?

Matt Tkachuk?

Steven Stamkos?

I'm fine waiting on BB, OJ, EP, Dahlen and whoever comes next.

That's when we can pull the trigger for a Dougie Hamilton or Ryan Johansen.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Bowie.. you can't be using two handles here...

headshake.gif

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
McDavid? Matthews?

Matt Tkachuk?

Steven Stamkos?

A~nd you think Hamilton or Johansen would ever consider this trash pile because....?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
McDavid? Matthews?

Matt Tkachuk?

Steven Stamkos?

What are those, random names? Yes, we could have drafted one of those. Uh-huh. Very good.

And if your plan is to hope all our prospects and picks work out, it's no wonder you're happy with Benning's performance.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This notion that the GM 'runs' the draft and picks most of the players is one of the dumbest misconceptions here. Again, there's a video on CDC from 2014 where Benning doesn't even know what league Tryamkin was playing in when they drafted him. He'll definitely have some input but the notion of a 'great drafting GM' is just hogwash. Good picks come from having a good staff.

I don't think a GM "runs" the draft as in picks most of the players, but I think you're understating the impact a GM can have on the draft. A GM can easily favour size over skill or skill over size for example and up and down the entire draft can be impacted. Besides, when you have a GM who thinks and or says he can impact the draft then it's fair to hold him accountable good or bad no? So when Gillis and Benning talks about how they are going to work with the scouts and give them the necessary direction (while implying that they were not properly directed before) then they are effectively taking ownership of the draft process. So ya no they aren't making every pick themselves but it's naive that they have little to no impact at all.

As for your Tryamkin example, I don't think it's illustrative at all. Most GMs and North American based scouts don't follow the KHL closely. Tryamkin caught the eyes of many scouts at the WJC and having seen him play at the WJC, Benning really only needed his regional scout's positive opinion. Who cares if Benning didn't know he was playing for Yekaterinburg Automobilist. It's not like it's an easy team name to remember for an English speaker.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
What are those, random names? Yes, we could have drafted one of those. Uh-huh. Very good.

And if your plan is to hope all our prospects and picks work out, it's no wonder you're happy with Benning's performance.

You said he's had ample time to recover from Kesler. These are names of guys who were available who MAY have been able to do that within the timeframe.

We could have acquired them had we been in different positions, but alas we were not (apart from Tkachuk, who was available, but imo wouldn't have moved the needle that far).

Hence outlining why JB has not been able to yet recover the team to the extent you seem to expect.

Yeah he tried with Loui but he also didn't chock us up with the likes of Backes, Ladd, Belesky, Shattenkirk (decent contract though, I'll pay that), Alzner etc etc

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You said he's had ample time to recover from Kesler. These are names of guys who were available who MAY have been able to do that within the timeframe.

We could have acquired them had we been in different positions, but alas we were not (apart from Tkachuk, who was available, but imo wouldn't have moved the needle that far).

Hence outlining why JB has not been able to yet recover the team to the extent you seem to expect.

Yeah he tried with Loui but he also didn't chock us up with the likes of Backes, Ladd, Belesky, Shattenkirk (decent contract though, I'll pay that), Alzner etc etc

Nylander/Ehlers
Pastrnak

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Yea when you factor in that at least 15 of the Yes's are sarcastic, it gives you a bit of hope for humanity.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Aquilini is a known quantity around the league. If Benning gets fired, who steps in? They can't find an NHL Coach, are GMs easier to get?

Anyway, the question isn't should he be fired, it's can he be fired? I suspect the answer is no. He follows orders, no matter how ludicrous. He mouths the company line. He doesn't laugh at Linden publicly. These are all key things. Add to that his endless supply of minor league Coaches and you have a valued employee, IMO.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Boeser
Tkachuk-Horvat-Ehlers
Dahlen-Larkin-Hansen
Guance-Richardson-White

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Forsling-Tryamkin

Markstrom
FA/Demko

image.jpg

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Oh ffs, where was the team when he got here, where is it now. Ooo good thing we didn't sign Ladd or Backes...no, Eriksson, Dorsett, Sutter and Gudbranson have worked out much better. The team finished last season at or near the bottom of literally every measurable stat. This is a good job in your opinion?

Yes, I think three seasons is enough time to recover from dealing a #2 centre. Usually the players you get back in trade help that to some degree, but not here.

That's what happens when your GM is hopeless at his job.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Aquilini is a known quantity around the league. If Benning gets fired, who steps in? They can't find an NHL Coach, are GMs easier to get?
You don't hire the coach first (unless said guy is Scotty Bowman or Toe Blake). You hire the GM first and the GM hires the coach (reason why you should be reluctant to hire a guy who will be "learning on the job" along with his "learning on the job" President & "learning on the job" NHL coach).

Oh ffs, where was the team when he got here, where is it now. Ooo good thing we didn't sign Ladd or Backes...no, Eriksson, Dorsett, Sutter and Gudbranson have worked out much better. The team finished last season at or near the bottom of literally every measurable stat. This is a good job in your opinion?

heh, having Lucic in the locker room with Miller would've make for a real **** show in the locker room. Would've made having Torts as coach a den of tranquility. Go Benning for the #1 overall pick! Might as well have Keenan as coach for some more hilarity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad