Does Jim Benning deserve a contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
After seeing the previous poll asking if he will be extended, I figured it would be a good idea to see how many people think he deserves an extension. This isn't what you think ownership will do, but what you feel he deserves.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Abso-****ing-lutely not.

Unless he puts on a performance that will make Steve Yzerman question his own existence before upcoming TDL. No, he deserve to have his head put on a rusty pike and have his name carved into a monument made of fossilized dinosaur turd to be displayed at the city landfill.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
There are two people who voted yes? Holy hell. I thought benning supporters were legitimate unicorns.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
There are two people who voted yes? Holy hell. I thought benning supporters were legitimate unicorns.

mlfw1641-1316811116.png

0din

Mar 8, 2016
The owners haven't fired him for a few reasons.

Someone will need to be blamed, a scape goat, for destroying the team for a decade and firing him will renew fan confidence for improvement.

The owners didn't want to be paying for 3 GM's and presidents all at the same time.
Gillis - Linden/Benning and the new hire.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The owners haven't fired him for a few reasons.

Someone will need to be blamed, a scape goat, for destroying the team for a decade and firing him will renew fan confidence for improvement.

The owners didn't want to be paying for 3 GM's and presidents all at the same time.
Gillis - Linden/Benning and the new hire.

Hire someone competent and the move will pay for itself when fans start coming back to the games.

And fire Benning. Out of a cannon. Into a brick wall.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I've had dreams where I get to fire this potato head looking idiot and the hipster eyeglasses salesman. These two wasted years of our lives as hockey fans.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Clearly no, but at the same time I almost don´t care as long as Linden is there. I just don´t see how any GM can do a good job under him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Never thought id say this but im undecided. Before the TDL would of def said HELL NO but he made a couple a good trades and had a fantastic draft. Some ok and some so so moves in the offseason so far. Guess would like to see how the prospects do this year before voting in a thread like this. Dont get me wrong his moves generally before the TDL should def got him fired but he wasnt and has made generally good moves since then. So if he keeps making good moves maybe keep him??

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Never thought id say this but im undecided. Before the TDL would of def said HELL NO but he made a couple a good trades and had a fantastic draft. Some ok and some so so moves in the offseason so far. Guess would like to see how the prospects do this year before voting in a thread like this. Dont get me wrong his moves generally before the TDL should def got him fired but he wasnt and has made generally good moves since then. So if he keeps making good moves maybe keep him??

his performance from TDL til draft has been average, maybe a little above average. That's not nearly enough to cover the mountain of turd he piled up in the last three years.

like I said, he needs to outdo Yzerman by a vast margin in order to make up for everything he ****ed up in the past.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This is a guy who completely botched an obvious 5th and 6th overall pick and likely set our franchise's future back at least a few years in doing so.

We could have had Nylander/Ehlers and Tkachuk on this team right now, and I don't think anybody would be doubting the future offense of this team.

member 290103

New here, but how could anyone in their right mind justify a contract extension for Benning? He's been an unmitigated disaster in pretty much every way possible? Bad trades? Check. Terrible contracts? Check. Horrible Draft Misses? Check.

I am certain Linden moves on from him this year. Linden cut bait with Desjardins and he'll do the same with Benning. Self preservation needs to be something Linden has to be thinking about. He used is fire the coach card, he is at the point where the fire the GM card needs to be played.

If he messes that up again, he can go back to his radio spots for Club 16 and building his condos.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

He's glutted the team with veterans, thus blocking youth from being able to make the team...yeah...calling card of a good GM. :shakehead

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
If I was the guy in charge, absolutely no to a contract extension. Too many mistakes, and I'm not just talking about trades and signings. How about the NHL having to step in and sort our cap situation, or getting in trouble for tampering? How about the mixed messages to our fans, and two bottom five standing results in three years despite calling for the playoffs? How about the dwindling stadium attendance and general apathy towards the team resulting in a devaluation of the Canucks brand (worth 745 M in 2015 to 700 M in 2016).

I mean, would you extend him?

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Clearly no, but at the same time I almost don´t care as long as Linden is there. I just don´t see how any GM can do a good job under him.

Pretty much..as long as Linden is President,and Aquilini the owner..the mandate for what they are doing isn't going to change..

May 31, 2006
Does Donald Trump deserve to be reelected?

I don't know which question deserve a more obvious and definite "no".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad