Does Jim Benning deserve a contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
Pretty much..as long as Linden is President,and Aquilini the owner..the mandate for what they are doing isn't going to change..

Again mixing in he owner for this management groups blunders.

As I posted the owner doesn't want to pay 3 times for the same job. Isn't it evident that he wanted change by hiring these guys? So in that YES the owner has to take some responsibility, he hired the PR move to sell tickets and Linden blew it by hiring inexperienced Benning, I AM SURE THAT QUINN WAS TO BE THE MENTOR FOR THEM, but sadly that didn't happen leaving two guys that never ran a team without a teacher.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Unlike others on this board, I don't have any problems with what he did this offseason. That being said, his tenure as a whole has been an unmitigated disaster and I've wanted him to be fired for years now.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
He's glutted the team with veterans, thus blocking youth from being able to make the team...yeah...calling card of a good GM. :shakehead

When Linden and Benning arrived, they promised to inject youth and we had a good aging veteran team that we *should* have been able to flip for some decent younger assets. What happened? They proceeded to p*** everything away with extremely bad management and scouting until (fast forward 3 years and 4 offseasons later) we have a garbage roster and he's forced to sign a bunch more veteran(s****y one's I might add) to shelter the youth from being destroyed because most of them aren't ready yet :facepalm:

How anybody would give this regime a chance to rebuild this team after the way they handled a retool is beyond me...oh wait I forgot...Benning had a awesome TDL, draft and FA causing God himself to come down from the heavens above and bless him! He has seen the light! :biglaugh:

It's going to get a lot more worse around here before it gets better folks as the damage is already done :help:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Dang The Stig.....they got to YOU to.

I just want a change in philosophy. Something like Toronto(ugh). I don't think the current situation is totally Bennings fault, but we need a newer school style of building. Build on hope and I think a change would be a good way to start that. Send a message to the fans that we're starting a new era.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Again mixing in he owner for this management groups blunders.

As I posted the owner doesn't want to pay 3 times for the same job. Isn't it evident that he wanted change by hiring these guys? So in that YES the owner has to take some responsibility, he hired the PR move to sell tickets and Linden blew it by hiring inexperienced Benning, I AM SURE THAT QUINN WAS TO BE THE MENTOR FOR THEM, but sadly that didn't happen leaving two guys that never ran a team without a teacher.

Well f*** him!

It's his responsibility to build a sports franchise and if he wants to knee jerk and fire people and then hire a bunch of incompetents then let it come out of his fat pockets. Maybe he'll learn from past mistakes and actually sit down and think about it next time.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Anyone else.

That's not a smart answer. And just shows that you're crying for the sake of crying and not actually thinking.

You can't just make a change for the sake of making a change without understanding the consequences and what the plan for after is.

I know we are fans and aren't needed to do that, but if you are calling for someone to be fired, don't you think it be a good idea to look at who you would like to see replace him? If there isn't anyone out there that is a realistic option that is better or potentially better than making that move isn't a smart move.

I think Benning is on the hot seat but who is out there that could be better in this situation where it's pretty obvious the Aquilini's aren't sold on the burn it to the ground rebuild that many of you are screaming for.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I'm not necessarily a Benning hater, and I feel the level of hate that he gets is usually a little excessive...

But no way should he be extended.

He's not as bad as some might suggest - but he's made enough questionable moves, if not straight up bad ones, that his few good moves just can't overcome.

Overall he's unquestionably one of the top 5 worst gms in the league. We need to do better going forward.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's not a smart answer. And just shows that you're crying for the sake of crying and not actually thinking.

You can't just make a change for the sake of making a change without understanding the consequences and what the plan for after is.

I know we are fans and aren't needed to do that, but if you are calling for someone to be fired, don't you think it be a good idea to look at who you would like to see replace him? If there isn't anyone out there that is a realistic option that is better or potentially better than making that move isn't a smart move.

I think Benning is on the hot seat but who is out there that could be better in this situation where it's pretty obvious the Aquilini's aren't sold on the burn it to the ground rebuild that many of you are screaming for.

No, literally anyone else is an upgrade. The guy is one of the most incompetent GMs in the history of North American professional sports. Any current NHL AGM or any person who served as a GM of any NHL team in the last 5 years would be an automatic massive upgrade.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I am more than willing to try with anyone else and see if we can get different results. Or we can just go your route and keep screwing up top 5 picks.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It's kinda funny how 6-7 years ago the Canucks managed to be the best team in the NHL with this owner. Did they forget how to own a hockey team?

It's a mystery to me. Everyone knew what we were after the 2013 season was over save for two men. And those guys happened to run the team. Benning is/was merely a symptom of the disease that plagued the Canucks. FA lost track of how to make money and spread lies that fans stopped going because the Canucks weren't contenders anymore. Realistically, the fans weren't idiots and ownership lost them by going against the grain with no direction and ticket prices were the same. No reasonable person is spending $100 on balcony level to watch basement dwellers, at least in Vancouver. The worst is the campaign they held insisting that if you don't blindly accept these questionable decisions, you somehow weren't a "true fan".

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I say extend him. Lou Lamoriello early years as a Devils GM was horrendous too. But they didn't give up on him, he made some mistakes as everyone would.

Under Jb's leader ship, drafting has vastly improved, some bad trades, he also made some good trades.

I say extend him.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I say extend him. Lou Lamoriello early years as a Devils GM was horrendous too. But they didn't give up on him, he made some mistakes as everyone would.

Under Jb's leader ship, drafting has vastly improved, some bad trades, he also made some good trades.

I say extend him.

Benning has done nothing to deserve an extension, the fact that there's negative debate about two of his top 6 picks is enough for me to say he doesn't deserve an extension, you just can't mess those picks up. Although Pettersson looks good he does have size/strength concerns about how his game will translate to the NHL. Benning has been crap on trades, bad at signings, and too many questions around his top picks, although his later rounds drafting looks good and that's the only highlight he's given us.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Dubas seems like a good choice.

People say Benning can be replaced by anyone because it REALLY doesn't take much to improve. You can quite literally sit in your chair until it gets an ass print and do nothing, and you'll still achieve more than that idiot Benning ever could. He really is that bad.

On the other end of the spectrum, if people ask if Yzerman leaves his GM position who can replace him? The answer, conversely, would be no one. Because what Yzerman did as a GM are difficult to replicate, let alone surpass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad