Does Finland have the best 23-under forward line by any country?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
1. MacKinnon-McDavid-Barzal
2. Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
3. Eichel-Matthews-Boeser
4. Nylander-Petterson-Forsberg
5. Kase-Faksa-Pastrnak
6. Meier-Hischier-Fiala
7. Kaprizov-Kamenev-Buchnevich

Canada edges Finland who edges USA. 4th place is not even close to those three. I think 4th and 5th is close. 6th and 7th are not close. Russia's main problem is no center. Kaprizov and Buch can compete with the wingers 4-6, they are better than some of them, but there's not an NHL center here.
why do the finns edge the US?

barkov and matthews are near equals, eichel is better then laine right now, and so is boeser over rantanen especially when you figure in teams, usage and support.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
why do the finns edge the US?

barkov and matthews are near equals, eichel is better then laine right now, and so is boeser over rantanen especially when you figure in teams, usage and support.

I'd take Rantanen over Boeser pretty easily. Eichel, Laine, Barkov, Matthews for the other four. I think its very close between those four.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'd take Rantanen over Boeser pretty easily. Eichel, Laine, Barkov, Matthews for the other four. I think its very close between those four.
rantenen is having a fine season but he has a mvp caliber player next to him and brock well...and he isnt far from rants production wise. the USA line is faster and full of 3 players who can drive a line, the fins seems better all around and a bit meaner but all in all the USA line is a better line imo but i digress.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I understand that. And due to their overall surplus of talent, they are always the favorites to win any tournament with professional players. That said, we're not talking about "overall team" here - we're discussing a single top line of U23 players that seem to have the same star power, skills and chemistry as that Finland trio. And that includes playing their actual positions to maximize the chemistry. Lines 2-4, Canada slaughters pretty much anyone, based on talent alone. I'm trying to isolate one scenario.

McDavid-MacKinnon combo is legit, considering MacKinnon played a lot of time on the wing in COL and he loves to shoot the puck. Who would be the other U23 W on that line, who would seem to fit perfectly? Then there might be a real case here. I would even buy someone like Travis Konecny, who would seem to fit perfectly with this duo... or Mitch Marner.

But that Finland line has everything, including incredible size and strength. They literally have no weakness.

Aside from the obvious Mcdavid/MacKinnon combination, you'd have to take Mitch Marner for the left wing if you consider only wingers.

That would give us:

Marner-Mcdavid-MacKinnon

In terms of pure talent and offensive ability, that line is superior IMO to the finnish line and basically every other country's lines. That said, that line lacks physicality and defensive acumen compared to the finnish trio and is thus ''less complete'', so although I still think it is superior overall, it is also less versatile.

Anyways, it's great to see Finland finally start churning out quality prospects and players after a few ''down'' years in the early 2000's, and here's to hoping we see a greater diversity of countries pumping out talent at the NHL level in the future.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I understand that. And due to their overall surplus of talent, they are always the favorites to win any tournament with professional players. That said, we're not talking about "overall team" here - we're discussing a single top line of U23 players that seem to have the same star power, skills and chemistry as that Finland trio. And that includes playing their actual positions to maximize the chemistry. Lines 2-4, Canada slaughters pretty much anyone, based on talent alone. I'm trying to isolate one scenario.

McDavid-MacKinnon combo is legit, considering MacKinnon played a lot of time on the wing in COL and he loves to shoot the puck. Who would be the other U23 W on that line, who would seem to fit perfectly? Then there might be a real case here. I would even buy someone like Travis Konecny, who would seem to fit perfectly with this duo... or Mitch Marner.

But that Finland line has everything, including incredible size and strength. They literally have no weakness.

Except it is fairly easy for the majority of centers to switch to wing. That is why team Canada can take a bunch of centers and put them on the wing and still succeed. If they were better taking 4 each of LW/C/RW they would, but the best players typically play center when they are in juniors (and other similar leagues across the world).

X - McDavid - Mackinnon is better than the Finn line. Yes, the Finn line has one of the top 2-way C's and one of the best scoring wingers, but the overall talent is better in the Canadian line and Mackinnon/McDavid will have no problem meshing.

No weakness isn't as important as bringing the most skill/talent possible (see 2014 Canadian Olympic Team).

1. Team Canada
2. Team USA or Team Finland (There isn't a huge difference between any of those 3, but McDavid makes the difference)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I suppose if you narrow it down to 3 players, all being forwards and in their full-time position

Connor - McDavid - Marner < Laine - Barkov - Rantanen

is there LW/RW players I'm missing for Canada?

hollow victory

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
USA has a crazy top 9 u23

Keller Matthews Boeser
Tkachuck Eichel Yamamoto
Milano Larkin Debrincat

Like that's nuts. And I'm a Canada fan lol Can't wait till the next best on best match up

Replace Yamamoto and Milano with B.Tkachuk and Mittelstadt and we're talking.

Reactions: FabledKnight

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
For a U-23 USA top 9 i'd say nah. Yamamoto you'd be basing his spot entirely on potential, and he's not exactly destroying the WHL. Milano is older than some guys in the NHL that are outperforming him.
Really? Yamamoto's been tearing it up lately. Something like 2.5 ppg since the WJC.

Reactions: FabledKnight

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
1. MacKinnon-McDavid-Barzal
2. Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
3. Eichel-Matthews-Boeser
4. Nylander-Petterson-Forsberg
5. Kase-Faksa-Pastrnak
6. Meier-Hischier-Fiala
7. Kaprizov-Kamenev-Buchnevich

Canada edges Finland who edges USA. 4th place is not even close to those three. I think 4th and 5th is close. 6th and 7th are not close. Russia's main problem is no center. Kaprizov and Buch can compete with the wingers 4-6, they are better than some of them, but there's not an NHL center here.
Great list. Kinda weird to see the Swiss ahead of the Russians.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
do not post another line of US kids please -

anyone notice what has happened here???

Eichel - Matthews - Boeser - seems like the HF Gods have deemed this line too mighty to ever be put together so they decided to injury all 3 of them for much of the remaining season!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Really? Yamamoto's been tearing it up lately. Something like 2.5 ppg since the WJC.

yeah, not seeing that one, he had a slow start back after the WJC which happens to a lot of players, but the past 6 weeks, this kid has to be in the top 2-3 hottest players in the entire CHL. just wished he showcased this at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad