Does Finland have the best 23-under forward line by any country?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Canada rolls lines with 3 centres routinely

I understand that. And due to their overall surplus of talent, they are always the favorites to win any tournament with professional players. That said, we're not talking about "overall team" here - we're discussing a single top line of U23 players that seem to have the same star power, skills and chemistry as that Finland trio. And that includes playing their actual positions to maximize the chemistry. Lines 2-4, Canada slaughters pretty much anyone, based on talent alone. I'm trying to isolate one scenario.

McDavid-MacKinnon combo is legit, considering MacKinnon played a lot of time on the wing in COL and he loves to shoot the puck. Who would be the other U23 W on that line, who would seem to fit perfectly? Then there might be a real case here. I would even buy someone like Travis Konecny, who would seem to fit perfectly with this duo... or Mitch Marner.

But that Finland line has everything, including incredible size and strength. They literally have no weakness.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I understand that. And due to their overall surplus of talent, they are always the favorites to win any tournament with professional players. That said, we're not talking about "overall team" here - we're discussing a single top line of U23 players that seem to have the same star power, skills and chemistry as that Finland trio. And that includes playing their actual positions to maximize the chemistry. Lines 2-4, Canada slaughters pretty much anyone, based on talent alone. I'm trying to isolate one scenario.

McDavid-MacKinnon combo is legit, considering MacKinnon played a lot of time on the wing in COL and he loves to shoot the puck. Who would be the other U23 W on that line, who would seem to fit perfectly? Then there might be a real case here. I would even buy someone like Travis Konecny, who would seem to fit perfectly with this duo... or Mitch Marner.

But that Finland line has everything, including incredible size and strength. They literally have no weakness.

Sean Monahan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. MacKinnon-McDavid-Barzal
2. Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
3. Eichel-Matthews-Boeser
4. Nylander-Petterson-Forsberg
5. Kase-Faksa-Pastrnak
6. Meier-Hischier-Fiala
7. Kaprizov-Kamenev-Buchnevich

Canada edges Finland who edges USA. 4th place is not even close to those three. I think 4th and 5th is close. 6th and 7th are not close. Russia's main problem is no center. Kaprizov and Buch can compete with the wingers 4-6, they are better than some of them, but there's not an NHL center here.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Looking at what a few of the young Finns are accomplishing these days, could Finland have the most dominant, legit, young line in the game? Age 23 and under...

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen

All three players are playing at roughly a PPG clip - Barkov is above, Rantanen exactly a PPG and Laine slightly under but is one of the elite snipers on the planet.

All three of these kids are insanely skilled and they are all massive in size, 6-4 and thick. And, when you think of it, they sort of form the perfect chemistry...

Laine is a pure shooter - perhaps one of the two or three best on the globe. Barkov is a hulking, two-way center who can pass and shoot equally as good. He's also a tremendous playmaker who thrives on deception. And he has world class puck possession skills. Rantanten is a top-end utility knife player who protects the puck as good as anyone in the league, pretty much. And, like Barkov, he can pass and shoot equally as well, which would play right into the hands of Laine. The thing is - if you try to take away Laine, Barkov and Rantanen can slice you apart themselves. If you don't pay special attention to Laine, he'll score a ton. Pick your poison.

I'm sure Canada and the US have some dynamic options as well, headlined by McDavid and Matthews, but I'm hard pressed to think of a legit possible line that matches this one in terms of size, skill and potential chemistry.

I think the title says; the best 23 under (u23)
- i haven't red the op

I can see the confusion though

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I can see the confusion though

Well, he did change his post, from what said in the title, so...

What you wrote was correct, but because i didn't red the op (my bad)
i was in assumption that i was correct, so..., you could give me the benefit of doubt here
and let me "pass"? (this time :))

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Laine( 6`5")-Barkov( 6`3")-Rantanen( 6`4")
Ristolainen( 6`3")-Lindell( 6`3")

Doesnt seem to bad and they have size too. Team Finland now:

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Aho-Haula-Teräväinen
Granlund-Koivu-Donskoi
Puljujärvi-Filppula-Armia

Ristolainen-Vatanen
Määttä- Heiskanen
Lindell-Honka
Nutivaara

Rinne
Raanta
Raanta

Spares: Komarov, Lehkonen,Kapanen, Vesalainen

I`d take on any team with this lineup. Great goaltending, great 2-way play and 3 snipers in Laine, Tolvanen, Vesalainen. The best part of it is that most guys are U25 and will be playing for years. Finnish hockey seem brighter than ever.

Risto is 6'4

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
2. Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
5. Kase-Faksa-Pastrnak
6. Meier-Hischier-Fiala

Canada edges Finland who edges USA. 4th place is not even close to those three. I think 4th and 5th is close. 6th and 7th are not close. Russia's main problem is no center. Kaprizov and Buch can compete with the wingers 4-6, they are better than some of them, but there's not an NHL center here.

Really good list. Feels so weird with Russia in the bottom though

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
2. Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
5. Kase-Faksa-Pastrnak
6. Meier-Hischier-Fiala

The Swiss are getting stronger !

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
2. Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
5. Kase-Faksa-Pastrnak
6. Meier-Hischier-Fiala

The USA line is an example of star names just getting tossed on a line without much thought about maximum potential. I like Boeser alongside Matthews but absolutely dislike the idea of Eichel-Matthews headlining the same line. Both are centers who love to shoot. Both play fairly similar, although Matthews is better on the backcheck and with hounding. If playing players out of position is an option, I think a more realistic line, in terms of chemistry would be...

Keller - Matthews - Boeser

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Yeah, all of a sudden Finland is spitting out some monsters.

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen = The Legion of Tuho 2.0

Yea the development has gotten better, back in the day they didn't care to have patience with the bigger guys and only let the smaller speedier flashier players get further opportunities to develop

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The USA line is an example of star names just getting tossed on a line without much thought about maximum potential. I like Boeser alongside Matthews but absolutely dislike the idea of Eichel-Matthews headlining the same line. Both are centers who love to shoot. Both play fairly similar, although Matthews is better on the backcheck and with hounding. If playing players out of position is an option, I think a more realistic line, in terms of chemistry would be...

Keller - Matthews - Boeser

Eichel's the best of those three forwards.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
In what way is a 22yr old 1C on PPG with selke-caliber defense, 122 stickchecks(next one <100), 6 SHG, 56,8% defensive zone starts and faceoffs at 55% overrated?

Uhmm in many ways? Some people have said they'd take him over McDavid, or that he was the best defensive forward in the league. It's not how good someone is, it's how people rate them. Anyone can be underrated or overrated. Not sure how it's possible to not understand that...

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
USA has a crazy top 9 u23

Keller Matthews Boeser
Tkachuck Eichel Yamamoto
Milano Larkin Debrincat

Like that's nuts. And I'm a Canada fan lol Can't wait till the next best on best match up

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
1. Barzal - McDavid - MacKinnon

2. Eichel - - Matthews - - Boeser

3. Laine - - - Barkov - - - Rananen

4. E. Lindholm - Nylander - Forseberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad