Does Finland have the best 23-under forward line by any country?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Of course Canada rings bells, but I'm specifically asking u23 and players playing in their correct positions. Chemistry also being a big part of it. Like in the case of Barzal-McDavid-MacKinnon, you're taking 3 centerman and forming a "star line." Try making that line using McDavid as the centerpiece then giving him two wingers U23 that compliment the line. Same with Eichel and Matthews - two centerman who love to control the puck and shoot the puck. The best suggestion I've seen so far has been DeBrincat-Matthews-Boeser, but I would still put the Finns up there with them (or ahead of them) based on pure chemistry roles, size and strength.

Players play out of position in literally every international tournament. Moving from C to W doesnt really seem to effect the super skilled players

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
do not post another line of US kids please -

anyone notice what has happened here???

Eichel - Matthews - Boeser - seems like the HF Gods have deemed this line too mighty to ever be put together so they decided to injury all 3 of them for much of the remaining season!!
oh shit didnt even realize they were all injured, feels bad that americas 3 best young players are hurt
:(

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
do not post another line of US kids please -

anyone notice what has happened here???

Eichel - Matthews - Boeser - seems like the HF Gods have deemed this line too mighty to ever be put together so they decided to injury all 3 of them for much of the remaining season!!

You shouldn't be surprised.................Gods a Canada fan after all.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
McDavid swings any list.

Not really. McDavid is a stud, but he's not an unparalleled demigod like some try to make him out to be. His team is 13th in the West. If he was so untouchable his team would be contending for a Cup. Goes to show you that McDavid alone doesn't accomplish much - he needs a team like anyone else. Let's not pretend he's Greztky, Lemieux, Orr, etc.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Not really. McDavid is a stud, but he's not an unparalleled demigod like some try to make him out to be. His team is 13th in the West. If he was so untouchable his team would be contending for a Cup. Goes to show you that McDavid alone doesn't accomplish much - he needs a team like anyone else. Let's not pretend he's Greztky, Lemieux, Orr, etc.

Mcdavid is leading the league in even strength points and no matter which scrub is on his line he's going to score. Hockey is obviously a team game and you need a good supporting cast as well to win. The point of this thread is best line not team.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
why do the finns edge the US?

barkov and matthews are near equals, eichel is better then laine right now, and so is boeser over rantanen especially when you figure in teams, usage and support.
Honestly, is Eichel really better than Laine RIGHT NOW? ;)

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Oilers would be dead last without McDavid.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Last night Connor McDavid contributed to 15 scoring chances.

Edmonton had a total of 18 scoring chances in that game.

If Oilers had a functional powerplay McDavid would be leading the league in points right now.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, have to admit they've got you here. You are right in that Mcdavid isn't a god or anything but still, hes the best player out of all the players listed here, you put him with other great players and a guy like that really does swing things.

Still, Its a tough call that any Canada under 23 line is better then what Finland can trot out.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Gretzky didn't win cups by himself (not that im taking sides here)
just wanted to point that out, although not sure that you 100% meant it that he would of.

Greatzky had a super duper team around him,coaching staff+gm included.

Same goes for Lemieux.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wayne Gretzky,Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Glen Anderson, Esa Tikkanen,
Jimmy Carson,Craig Simpson,Grant Fuhr,Andy Mogg,Bill Ranford, Peter Klima

Kevin Lowe, Marty McSorley, Dave Semenko, Craig McTavish, Charlie Huddy, Steve Smith

Glen Sather

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You probably mean "poster" or couple of posters. Most of us don't think that way.

I'd rank Finland probably 3rd after USA and Canada.
I don't know, I would have to probably agree that Barkov-Laine-Rantanen is about as good as it gets for a 23 and under trio up front.

Thats a lot of size and skill up front with a pure trigger man in Laine. Don't think Canada or the U.S has anything better, equal sure but I don't know about better.

Reactions: Rene Saari

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don't know, I would have to probably agree that Barkov-Laine-Rantanen is about as good as it gets for a 23 and under trio up front.

Thats a lot of size and skill up front with a pure trigger man in Laine. Don't think Canada or the U.S has anything better, equal sure but I don't know about better.
McDavid and Matthews are the names I instantly think.

Canada has Barzal, MacKinnon, Marner etc.
USA has Boeser, Eichel, Tkachuk, Keller etc.

Of course if we go by position it is a much closer.

Boeser-Matthews-Keller
MacKinnon-McDavid-???

Lol I didn't think I'd be hard to think a LW for Canada if we count out all the centers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
McDavid and Matthews are the names I instantly think.

Canada has Barzal, MacKinnon, Marner etc.
USA has Boeser, Eichel, Tkachuk, Keller etc.

Of course if we go by position it is a much closer.

Boeser-Matthews-Keller
MacKinnon-McDavid-???

Lol I didn't think I'd be hard to think a LW for Canada if we count out all the centers.

Matthews and Mcdavid certainly are all world but Barkov matches up with them quite well, I would rank him as a top five center in the world right now and he can feed pucks all day to a guy like Laine..............who will sqwueeze lemons with them till the juice runs down the leg.

Barkov-Rantanen- Laine is a heavy line.

Reactions: Rene Saari

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Matthews and Mcdavid certainly are all world but Barkov matches up with them quite well, I would rank him as a top five center in the world right now and he can feed pucks all day to a guy like Laine..............who will sqwueeze lemons with them till the juice runs down the leg.

Barkov-Rantanen- Laine is a heavy line.
Ok ok! Maybe I'm just underrating the Finns.. Laine is awesome.. I remember watching WJC 2016 and I said in the GDT's that Laine was gonna score soon and he always did. :laugh:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ok ok! Maybe I'm just underrating the Finns.. Laine is awesome.. I remember watching WJC 2016 and I said in the GDT's that Laine was gonna score soon and he always did. :laugh:
Laine to me is like a 6'4 Mike Bossy, goalies are justly afraid of him.

I always have a hoot laughing to myself when I read the Matthews/Laine debates on here, only time will tell who the better player is. I like Matthews full repretoire of skills but a guy like Laine scores goals, something everyone wants to do right?

I want a Winnipeg - Leafs final in the next 2 years, it's my dream matchup.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Laine to me is like a 6'4 Mike Bossy, goalies are justly afraid of him.

I always have a hoot laughing to myself when I read the Matthews/Laine debates on here, only time will tell who the better player is. I like Matthews full repretoire of skills but a guy like Laine scores goals, something everyone wants to do right?

I want a Winnipeg - Leafs final in the next 2 years, it's my dream matchup.
Yeah, I think Matthews is the better player right now but Laine definitely is the better goal scorer. Interesting to see what will happen in like 5 to 10 years. They are both so young it's incredible to think.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad